A Nitpicker's Thread For the Clockwork Angels Tour CD

LedRush

So, you don't really like the CA Tour CD that much? This isn't the thread for you. The CD is awesome. The boys play very well. The mix is an improvement. Geddy sings so much better on this than on TM Tour I'm looking for boots of the last tour to replace that CD. The strings add a new dimension which makes each song with them destined not to be forgotten live songs you bought just because you love the band.

But despite all the awesomeness that is the CA Tour CD, Rush fans have been known to nitpick. This thread is for those types of fans.

So, with all the awesomeness in mind, what do you think could have been improved/changed or what didn't sound right to you?

I'll start. The opening of 2112 happens on the track for Tom Sawyer. Meaning I get an extra 20 seconds of a different song at the end of Tom Sawyer.

The good news is that I just tied the songs together and now I'll always here the encore as a single, awesome song.

Not too many complaints here. Maybe Neil could be brought up in the mix, but the guitar heavy mix definitely suits Alex killing it on every song. Ged's vocals will never be perfect at this stage, but they are better than I expected. Both Ged and Neil also turn in great performances instrumentally. I'm not going to nitpick too much as I absolutely love the 80's heavy set list.
  • Like 3

I've been listening to the Pandora and Spotify version of the tour (DVD will be tomorrow). Honestly, I don't see why people are flipping a lid. It sounds fine. The bass and drums can be A LITTLE bit quiet at some points but other than that, I can hear/distinguish everything. I think people here get hyped up over Rush products so much that they expect perfection but don't receive it.

It, honestly, sounds like a pretty raw mix, as well. Isn't that exactly what everyone has been wanting? :huh:

• Like 2

I'll start. The opening of 2112 happens on the track for Tom Sawyer. Meaning I get an extra 20 seconds of a different song at the end of Tom Sawyer.

The good news is that I just tied the songs together and now I'll always here the encore as a single, awesome song.

I also don't like the fact that when Geddy introduces a song, it's always on the back end of the previous song. Example: when he says "Good Evening Dallas! This is called Grand Designs!", it's actually at the END of "Force Ten". This is kind of common with live albums, though. To LedRush's point, you can easily fix this if you have an audio editor.

Clem

I've been listening to the Pandora and Spotify version of the tour (DVD will be tomorrow). Honestly, I don't see why people are flipping a lid. It sounds fine. The bass and drums can be A LITTLE bit quiet at some points but other than that, I can hear/distinguish everything. I think people here get hyped up over Rush products so much that they expect perfection but don't receive it.

It, honestly, sounds like a pretty raw mix, as well. Isn't that exactly what everyone has been wanting? :huh:

I posted these before I saw that people were flipping out about the mix. I thought the mix was an improvement...not too bass heavy as it often is, and Neil is brought up a little bit more than on the TM tour. I like it. But then again, I'm a guitar guy.

I also don't like the fact that when Geddy introduces a song, it's always on the back end of the previous song. Example: when he says "Good Evening Dallas! This is called Grand Designs!", it's actually at the END of "Force Ten". This is kind of common with live albums, though. To LedRush's point, you can easily fix this if you have an audio editor.

Clem

I agree with that 100%. Not as bad as putting 2112's intro in TS, but it has always annoyed me.

My main nitpick is that Alex flubs the opening note to Spirit of Radio (though he swiftly corrects it), and his solo for Analog Kid isn't as 100% on fire as it could have been. This album has some KILLER solos, but Analog Kid should have been a standout and isn't quite there.

I posted these before I saw that people were flipping out about the mix. I thought the mix was an improvement...not too bass heavy as it often is, and Neil is brought up a little bit more than on the TM tour. I like it. But then again, I'm a guitar guy.

I'm a bass guy, who listens to everything. And that everything is there.

From the streamed versions I've heard (on the fence whether I'm going to reorder it (cancelled after hearing the lackluster online streams)) the kick drum is almost non-existent. Performances are great, for 60 something hard/prog rockers. But when I put my objective ears on, there's a lot of rough spots. Some noted above. But we're all being kind if we say/think Geddy's voice isn't the weakest link in the band now. At times, it's painful to listen.

From the streamed versions I've heard (on the fence whether I'm going to reorder it (cancelled after hearing the lackluster online streams)) the kick drum is almost non-existent. Performances are great, for 60 something hard/prog rockers. But when I put my objective ears on, there's a lot of rough spots. Some noted above. But we're all being kind if we say/think Geddy's voice isn't the weakest link in the band now. At times, it's painful to listen.

I suppose that since one of my other favorite bands is AC/DC, I've seen the effects when a lead singer TRULY loses his voice. All things considered, Geddy is doing alright. As I said, Manhattan Project is near indistinguishable form the album. His voice is still good, it just isn't good to sing songs that 20 year old Geddy sang. And unfortunately, tours ask him to do that a lot .

Geddy's succeeding in the studio because he has time to work on things and isn't also playing bass (multitasking is very difficult, especially when you shred like he does). Live it's very obvious to me he isn't able to do both with the same degree of skill he once did. It's not always bad, but more often than not it detracts from the performance.

It sucks because I haven't got my copy from Amazon yet

You can autorip it to a computer or mobile device. It's only mp3 level quality, but it's not bad.

• Like 1

This is a nitpicker's thread, not a detractor's thread. Didn't you read the first question and answer in the original post?

This is a nitpicker's thread, not a detractor's thread. Didn't you read the first question and answer in the original post?

So you're asking people to complain, but only complain a little? I'm not sure you know what a nitpick is :P

So you're asking people to complain, but only complain a little? I'm not sure you know what a nitpick is :P

I'm pretty sure you need to look up what a nit is and what the verb to nitpick means.

When someone nitpicks, they are making critical comments on petty or inconsequential points. This thread is for people who love the album, but have very minor criticisms. When you say the drums are non-existent and the vocals are painful, you obviously don't like the main parts of the CD, and this thread isn't for you. Please, don't become a thread terrorist and hijack this thread.

LedRush, a quick question if I may? What do you think of the "mix" or "sound quality" of All The World's A Stage? I am being serious here and just wondering what is good sound? I realize I listen to that music through "rose colored ears" at this point because of my long history with that album. With that record I can hear all the pieces clear as day. Bass, vocals, guitar and drums. Is that what you hear? Is that what other Rush fans hear and experience? Maybe I am just partial to it because it was my first. Any opinion? Just wondering (bored too)? :huh:
  • Like 1

It sucks because I haven't got my copy from Amazon yet

You can autorip it to a computer or mobile device. It's only mp3 level quality, but it's not bad.

Nope I gonna torture myself for no reason other than I want the real deal in my hands dammit!

• Like 1

LedRush, a quick question if I may? What do you think of the "mix" or "sound quality" of All The World's A Stage? I am being serious here and just wondering what is good sound? I realize I listen to that music through "rose colored ears" at this point because of my long history with that album. With that record I can hear all the pieces clear as day. Bass, vocals, guitar and drums. Is that what you hear? Is that what other Rush fans hear and experience? Maybe I am just partial to it because it was my first. Any opinion? Just wondering (bored too)? :huh:

I am no audiophile, so I'm probably not the best one to ask. Also, it is my favorite live CD, so I'm biased. But at the time the band was still basically a three piece with only minor keyboards added, and limited guitar layering and effects. Because of that, I hear good separation of instruments and very little getting buried. I love it. It is raw, sloppy, dangerous and exhilarating. I'm sure some one with better ears and a better sound system can tell me why you and I are missing what sucks about it, but I don't care. I love it.

• Like 2

I am no audiophile, so I'm probably not the best one to ask. Also, it is my favorite live CD, so I'm biased. But at the time the band was still basically a three piece with only minor keyboards added, and limited guitar layering and effects. Because of that, I hear good separation of instruments and very little getting buried. I love it. It is raw, sloppy, dangerous and exhilarating. I'm sure some one with better ears and a better sound system can tell me why you and I are missing what sucks about it, but I don't care. I love it.

What I thought. It kicks ass and there is no way around it. Clear and concise heavy music. I have obviously heard everything live since and still nothing compare's for me to this day. Appreciate your response.... :codger:
  • Like 2

First time listen as I type...Grand Designs just finished. Solid so far.

I do wonder...would the Power Windows through RTB material sound better if Geddy brought the Wal back out? Just a silly thought, really...but these songs do show how much his style has really changed over the years. He plays all the same notes plus some new notes, but in a totally different manner. Dude is like a total badass, or something... :cool:

• Like 1

Anyone else notice that when they edited Tom Sawyer that they have a shot of Geddy playing his sunburst jazz bass for about 3 seconds and then he's back to the black one? No excuse to let that slip through.

Anyone else notice that when they edited Tom Sawyer that they have a shot of Geddy playing his sunburst jazz bass for about 3 seconds and then he's back to the black one? No excuse to let that slip through.

I missed that in the theater. I haven't watched the blu ray yet as I'm figuring out how to fix my PS4 to play surround sound in a way that doesn't suck ass.