**Fan Reviews** Clockwork Angels Tour BD/DVD/CD

bscsmkr

So, this is my review from a "brit troll" who considers the band's best period to be from 76-81.

While the first set isn't to my taste really, the 80's material comes across quite well and better than I thought it would. Grand designs is much better than I expected it to be, love the re-worked version of the analog kid and bravado is always a welcome choice of song. Don't care for the big money and body electric was always a pounding turd of a song, but some people seem to quite like it. I like the album version of where's my thing, but really don't get this incarnation of the song- the heavier guitar sound doesn't work with what is (for rush) one of their funkier instrumental tracks.

Love set 2 with the Clockwork Angels suite and string ensemble and how the light show and visuals intensify as the show progresses. The angels stuff comes off really well even though the sound of the anarchist feels a little light in comparison to it's studio version. Halo effect sounds quite a bit different live but comes across surprisingly well. Clockwork angels, the anarchist, the wreckers and the garden - just brilliant. Also like the 3 mini drum solos as well - different.

Extras;- nice to have the rotated songs included- middletown dreams doesn't work live for me, but the pass and manhattan project are very good. Sound check version of limelight also really good- amazing how different it sounds in an empty auditorium.( Never thought about this before but how much does the numbers of people in a hall and their own bodily characteristics bring as a variable to the sound quality when a band plays?).

Documentary is a bit lightweight and doesn't really offer anything we didn't know already. Concert films- meh and the interviews and out takes are just embarrasing and not needed. I'd rather have seen some in studio footage from the recording of the album.

Picture quality is excellent and much, much better than the TM blu -ray. It has a different quality -shot on digital tape, rather than film? but is very clear. Really don't get those who think the picture quality on T/M is better- it isn't. One thing I have noticed is that the picture seems to be darker after 7 cities of gold- anyone else notice this? Editing and framing while not perfect is also much better than T/M which had some awful cuts and poorly framed shots.

Sound quality. My blu-ray surround system isn't anywhere near hi-end but it's capable enough and for me the sound is whole lot better than T/M if not as good as r30. Seen lots of comments about a lack of bottom end but feck me, the bass pedals on subdivisions, the wreckers and the sequencer on red sector a make my bloody house shake if I crank it. Ged's bass sounds better on some tracks more than others especially the one he uses on 7cog and the pale green one as well. The drums and the toms in particular are too low in the mix but this isn't peculiar to rush. The drums on Joe Bonamassa at Beacon Theatre are mixed in a very similar way and by Caveman Shirley as well! One thing I have noticed is that the mix sounds much better with a fair bit of volume to it and seems to suffer at lower volumes. It really does come alive when cranked and what I do like about the mix is that it feels raw, natural and most importantly, LIVE. It's not sanitised or pristine and sounds like a rock band playing in a big auditorium. It's just not spectacular from a surround point of view - maybe Steven Wilson's work with that particular medium is so good that he makes so many other 5.1 mixes seem inferior. Who knows?

So, overall and despite not being overly keen on set one I'll give this a big thumbs up. It's a very authentic representation of what l saw and heard when l saw them in the uk earlier this year.

• Like 5

I still have nothing to play my Blu-Ray on but I think I will by early next week. I know everyone has been on the edge of their collective seat's waiting for my opinion. Stay tuned......... :)

Finally got my copy today and have been watching it all evening. I have seen some negative posts about the camera shots being used, or the sound not being good enough. I love the way the dvd starts, and I love the intimacy of some of the cameras. As for the sound I can hear everything just fine on my stereo. Plenty of bass, guitar sits well in the mix and the drums too. The toms could be louder but I wouldn't go as far as to say they are drowned out.

A little trick I got from mixing music: To make a particular band of frequency stand out you can lower that frequency band just a tad to give it room to breathe. Most people I know have set their stereos way to heavy on the bass side, which then makes them complaining about the mush they're hearing.

Don't be scared of buying the dvd/bluray it's fine :)

I just finished the first DVD. I love it. To see 3 guys rock at this stage in their lives is so impressive. One of the emotions I felt watching the first DVD is how proud I am that Rush is from Canada.

If I had control in making this DVD I would have shown Neil from the overhead camera longer and more often. I would have focused on Alex and Geddy longer also. The scenes jump around too quickly and too often for my liking. :rush:

Edited by RushCanuck
  • Like 1

I just finished the first DVD. I love it. To see 3 guys rock at this stage in their lives is so impressive. One of the emotions I felt watching the first DVD is how proud I am that Rush is from Canada.

If I had control in making this DVD I would have shown Neil from the overhead camera longer and more often. I would have focused on Alex and Geddy longer also. The scenes jump around too quickly and too often for my liking. :rush:

This is what we mean by "bad editing" :LOL:

Edited by GeddysMullet

Video: Haven't got it yet, it's my Christmas present, though if it's like previous endeavors, it should be quite the spectacle. Hopefully it doesn't suffer from "camera man with ADHD" syndrome, where the camera changes every damn second. We shall see. I'm listening to the audio through Spotify. Minus the damn ads, it's great.

Audio: Agreeing with what most people have already said. Pratt's too quiet in the mix. I can still hear everything he's doing, just wish it was a bit louder to give the sound an overall balance. Crowd sounds perfect, they're loud when they need to be, and they don't overpower the band with all that damn reverb. Snakes and Arrows Live had that problem. The band overall was too quiet and the crowd was too loud. Dirk's bass and mic volume are spot on. Lerxst is on FIRE, except he should have some more presence in the right channel, he's pretty isolated to the left, but he's also on stage left when they play, so eh. The strings sound excellent, no complaints.

Performance: R30 is my definitive live Rush album, then this album and Rio tie, then Time Machine, then Snakes and Arrows. Not counting anything before Rio, because let's face it, the other ones are in their own time. These guys killed it this tour. Geddy's voice is very good on this one, full of energy and he can still hit his high notes. This is much better than Time Machine, when poor Dirk had a cold. Bad luck, that. His bass playing and keyboards are great, as always, never heard Geddy sound bad at his instruments ever. This is the best live recording of Alex Lifeson I've ever heard. I'll go ahead and be the typical Rush fan that catches any mistakes in the show (heard a bum chord in Body Electric and Bravado, and that derp towards the end of 2112 Overture), but Lerxst, you are the man. Highlights: Force Ten, Analog Kid, Middletown Dreams, 2112, Spirit Of Radio, and The Garden, just to name a few. Neil, apart from being a bit too quiet on this record, is always the drummer god he is famously known as. I actually prefer the 3 mini drum solos compared to the long mammoth 8 minute one. The drum solo during Where's My Thing? was my favorite out of the three. The only thing I miss from him is the Buddy Rich tribute that he used to put in his solos. Maybe he'll bring it back next time. Either way, good job, Neil. The strings are a welcome addition to the tour. Stuff like The Wreckers and The Garden would be subpar live without them, and they were amazing on Red Sector A, Dreamline, and Manhattan Project. Very pleased with this performance. Subdivisions as the opener? YES, PLEASE. 2112 with GRAND EFFIN FINALE as the closer? YES, PLEASE. Limelight sound check recording? Could've done without that one, but that's just my opinion.

Absolutely love this live recording. Cannot wait to see the DVD when I get it for Christmas.

• Like 2

Video: Haven't got it yet, it's my Christmas present, though if it's like previous endeavors, it should be quite the spectacle. Hopefully it doesn't suffer from "camera man with ADHD" syndrome, where the camera changes every damn second. We shall see. I'm listening to the audio through Spotify. Minus the damn ads, it's great.

Audio: Agreeing with what most people have already said. Pratt's too quiet in the mix. I can still hear everything he's doing, just wish it was a bit louder to give the sound an overall balance. Crowd sounds perfect, they're loud when they need to be, and they don't overpower the band with all that damn reverb. Snakes and Arrows Live had that problem. The band overall was too quiet and the crowd was too loud. Dirk's bass and mic volume are spot on. Lerxst is on FIRE, except he should have some more presence in the right channel, he's pretty isolated to the left, but he's also on stage left when they play, so eh. The strings sound excellent, no complaints.

Performance: R30 is my definitive live Rush album, then this album and Rio tie, then Time Machine, then Snakes and Arrows. Not counting anything before Rio, because let's face it, the other ones are in their own time. These guys killed it this tour. Geddy's voice is very good on this one, full of energy and he can still hit his high notes. This is much better than Time Machine, when poor Dirk had a cold. Bad luck, that. His bass playing and keyboards are great, as always, never heard Geddy sound bad at his instruments ever. This is the best live recording of Alex Lifeson I've ever heard. I'll go ahead and be the typical Rush fan that catches any mistakes in the show (heard a bum chord in Body Electric and Bravado, and that derp towards the end of 2112 Overture), but Lerxst, you are the man. Highlights: Force Ten, Analog Kid, Middletown Dreams, 2112, Spirit Of Radio, and The Garden, just to name a few. Neil, apart from being a bit too quiet on this record, is always the drummer god he is famously known as. I actually prefer the 3 mini drum solos compared to the long mammoth 8 minute one. The drum solo during Where's My Thing? was my favorite out of the three. The only thing I miss from him is the Buddy Rich tribute that he used to put in his solos. Maybe he'll bring it back next time. Either way, good job, Neil. The strings are a welcome addition to the tour. Stuff like The Wreckers and The Garden would be subpar live without them, and they were amazing on Red Sector A, Dreamline, and Manhattan Project. Very pleased with this performance. Subdivisions as the opener? YES, PLEASE. 2112 with GRAND EFFIN FINALE as the closer? YES, PLEASE. Limelight sound check recording? Could've done without that one, but that's just my opinion.

Absolutely love this live recording. Cannot wait to see the DVD when I get it for Christmas.

Well written :yes:

I like that they kept these little imperfections to keep the live feel. You can hear the band is on fire, but you can also see it too. Makes the film such a joy to watch, and the different approach they took at filming a concert just makes it even better. You really get the feeling that this is something special :)

• Like 1

Well, let's see.

First thing I noticed was the mix. I was pleasantly surprised to hear a better sounding show than Time Machine, but it could definitely use more bass and percussion.

Next thing I noticed was the presentation. I liked the angles for the most part, a few things were a little odd, but I'm not one to nitpick.

Now for the good stuff: the music was great. Stellar performance, definitely more "live-sounding" than, say, Exit…Stage Left. You can clearly hear the excited audience, but it doesn't drown the band out like in Rush in Rio. Geddy sounded very good, much better than his illness-inhibited performance on the Time Machine Tour. And his bass was, of course, the best in the business. No complaints about his initial playing, though as a bassist I'm a bit disappointed that it was a bit difficult to hear at times.

Alex was on a rampage. Excellent solos in The Analog Kid, Headlong Flight, and The Spirit of Radio, though his mistake in 2112 was a bit amusing. Not that I cared, he was still great.

Must I say anything about Pratt? Business as usual for Neil, though again his drums were a bit quiet.

Song choice was great, no complaints whatsoever. The '80s were a good decade for Rush (in general. Presto wasn't amazing, but seeing as The Pass was the only song off that album played on this tour, who cares?). I would have liked to see Distant Early Warning return to the set, but I was satisfied with getting Dreamline back.

Overall, 8.5/10 on Clockwork Angels Tour. A must-buy for Rush fans. The only complaint I have is with the mix, but it isn't so bad that you can't listen to it. That's all!

• Like 1

I think that CA is their best album since, at least, GUP, and maybe even Signals, so I enjoyed the amount of that album that appears on this CD. I also get that most pre PeW stuff is probably beyond Geddy's capability at this point, so it isn't going to make the cut. But if I want to hear the synth era live, I'm more likely to listen to the material from A Show of Hands than this album, once the novelty of it wears off.

I'm not an audiophile, so if there's a problem with the mix it's not evident to me.

• Like 2

Watching it on Palladia now. Looks good, sounds way better than I expected based on the reviews so far. Playing is excellent. Ged's voice, god bless him, sounds like the past few tours...struggling with the high registers for a whole tour. He's clearly wailing trying to hit notes.

I finally watched the blu-ray. I went to my Niece's and watched it there as I still, alas, have nothing to play it on. They have a nice large led t.v with an excellent picture, but not great sound equipment. I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed it. As I have said before even as an old school geezer, I really love the strings and the energy and added sound they bring. One thing in this show that really stands out and is just an observation (not trying to be negative). I have said this before but it almost pains me to watch and hear Geddy sing live anymore. It just looks like it hurts, and it takes everything he has to get it done. This observation comes from a place of love and admiration for all three of these gentlemen. I just am hoping they have at least one more go around in them before they pack it in for good. :yes: :)
  • Like 2

I finally watched the blu-ray. I went to my Niece's and watched it there as I still, alas, have nothing to play it on. They have a nice large led t.v with an excellent picture, but not great sound equipment. I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed it. As I have said before even as an old school geezer, I really love the strings and the energy and added sound they bring. One thing in this show that really stands out and is just an observation (not trying to be negative). I have said this before but it almost pains me to watch and hear Geddy sing live anymore. It just looks like it hurts, and it takes everything he has to get it done. This observation comes from a place of love and admiration for all three of these gentlemen. I just am hoping they have at least one more go around in them before they pack it in for good. :yes: :)

I love it because he cares so much. He has always cared this much. This is the same guy who half-killed himself as a young man to make Cygnus Book II work, and his desire has remained that strong and true. This is something he loves and wants to do from the deepest place in his soul. To me, it's beautiful.

:rush:

• Like 3

Just watched "The Pass" from the CA DVD. Excellent. So good. I forget sometimes how nice it is to see the band pull back and relax into a mood on occasion. Alex was in top form: his solo and verse effects evoked David Gilmour's best moments, and his harmony vocals were stellar. I honestly didn't know Alex could sing that well. Had a bad day today and this version of "The Pass" really helped.

"Manhattan Project" on now. Cool to see Alex playing the tele. This is good, but they are playing it way uptempo.

I get the same feeling watching Geddy sing anymore. It seems that he struggles so much at times it's painful to watch. I'm so glad they're getting out there and busting their behinds touring for us, but I do wish his voice had kept up with their playing, which is absolutely superb. I also hope they have another tour in them for us, and will definitely go see them as many times as I can.

I get the same feeling watching Geddy sing anymore. It seems that he struggles so much at times it's painful to watch. I'm so glad they're getting out there and busting their behinds touring for us, but I do wish his voice had kept up with their playing, which is absolutely superb. I also hope they have another tour in them for us, and will definitely go see them as many times as I can.

Wow, struggle? I don't hear it. He sings differently than he use to, but his tone and pitch are still true. It's just mature Geddy. He's still got it, and can sound stunningly good st times. I'm not trying to argue, I'm just trying to say.

I'm with narpet on this when it comes to the older songs, but I'm with lerxster on the newer stuff which is written for his current vocal range. They stuck to a lot of later material, so there's less "forcing it" for Geddy. Time Machine and some of the earlier ones are tough, starting with R30. He still sounded great in Rio.

Wow, struggle? I don't hear it. He sings differently than he use to, but his tone and pitch are still true. It's just mature Geddy. He's still got it, and can sound stunningly good st times. I'm not trying to argue, I'm just trying to say.

Hard to miss all the times his voice breaks or has to slide to pitch. He's obviously straining. I hate to say that but it's been really obvious especially the last two tours. I know we can kind of write off Time Machine a bit due to his cold but even in CA the album you can hear it. Nobody loves Geddy more than me but his voice is really going downhill quickly.

• Like 2

I really feel for the guy. Having to sing his stuff in my tribute band, I can definitely relate. When I watch, I appreciate the effort and focus on the music. He was never a Steve Perry or Freddy Mercury. He sang with passion and feeling but it was not necessary to the music. That was where the real genius was all along.

I love his voice, btw. I don't want to come across like I don't appreciate it. I'm just saying to Geddy, if it ain't there, don't worry about it. You're still the best!

• Like 2

Hard to miss all the times his voice breaks or has to slide to pitch. He's obviously straining. I hate to say that but it's been really obvious especially the last two tours. I know we can kind of write off Time Machine a bit due to his cold but even in CA the album you can hear it. Nobody loves Geddy more than me but his voice is really going downhill quickly.

Amen. I admire and love the man as much as any musician if have ever heard or known of. I got chills just typing this. I admire the fact that he keeps on keep'in on, but it is "painfully" obvious that it is a struggle. Even the new stuff he has trouble with. As much as I would love to hear an All The World's A Stage set back to front, I am not sure I would even put him through that at this point. Much love Mr. Lee. I would listen if you came out with a walker and an oxygen bottle.... :rose: :yes:
  • Like 3

Where do you live that you can't find a blu ray player? They come fairly cheap nowadays..

• Like 1

Where do you live that you can't find a blu ray player? They come fairly cheap nowadays..

I am fairly poor. My middle class status should speak volumes in that regard. We seem to be the poorest from my experience...... :yes: I will get one eventually when this Betamax finally wears out :)

I really feel for the guy. Having to sing his stuff in my tribute band, I can definitely relate. When I watch, I appreciate the effort and focus on the music. He was never a Steve Perry or Freddy Mercury. He sang with passion and feeling but it was not necessary to the music. That was where the real genius was all along.

I love his voice, btw. I don't want to come across like I don't appreciate it. I'm just saying to Geddy, if it ain't there, don't worry about it. You're still the best!

I agree with this completely. I think that some people are romanticising Geddy's younger voice. People talk about how his voice breaks and slides now, but the fact is, it always has. In the early years, it did that with a bit more range, but evidence that Geddy's concert voice has always been a little wild and prone to wandering, and that he has always struggled to a greater or lesser degree to control it, is right there on the live recordings. Perhaps it's more noticeable now because of the loss of range, but listen without prejudice to earlier live recordings, and you will hear it on every one of them.

• Like 1

We saw Robert Plant earlier this year and he had backing singers to do his 'high' bits as I think rock singers place a huge strain on their vocals and they can't maintain it forever. Geddy sounds fine on what I've heard so far, 'shrieky' Geddy is obviously History.

I agree with this completely. I think that some people are romanticising Geddy's younger voice. People talk about how his voice breaks and slides now, but the fact is, it always has. In the early years, it did that with a bit more range, but evidence that Geddy's concert voice has always been a little wild and prone to wandering, and that he has always struggled to a greater or lesser degree to control it, is right there on the live recordings. Perhaps it's more noticeable now because of the loss of range, but listen without prejudice to earlier live recordings, and you will hear it on every one of them.

I think you're wearing your rose colored glasses. :)

• Like 2

I think you're wearing your rose colored glasses. :)

I'd rather hear him struggle vocally and absolutely kill it everywhere else... than the other way around. His playing inspired me ... I simply enjoyed his vocals.