**Fan Reviews** Clockwork Angels Tour BD/DVD/CD

bscsmkr

The First thing that struck me while watching the blueray last night was how cool it all started. For the first time we as Rush fans were given a nice peak backstage 2 hours before a show. How Alex and Geddy come out, talk to the CA ensemble, and then Alex playfully saying "I guess it's time to go to work".

A sound check ensues.

And then we are treated to what may be the best first set since the "Evening With" format began. I absolutely love how this was filmed. It really reminded me of the Grace Under Pressure Concert film but with todays HD technology 100x's better. It really brings me back to being there (The Orlando show from the 2nd row) and feeling the majestic power of this incredible band. 40 years strong now and they are at the top of their game. I think this is the best playing they have done since the Moving Pictures Tour (Exit Stage Left concert video) and it seems like it is so much fun for them now compared to back then when it was far more work on stage (don't get me wrong...they are still working hard up there with the mini moogs, bass pedals, and triggers) compared to today. Rush has always embraced technology and they make full use of it on this tour.

Set one is just perfect in so many ways. From the opening with Subdivisions (a blistering version) to racing into The Big Money and Force 10 they waste no time in the sheer amount of energy and pace. All three of those songs set the stage for what may be my favorite run of songs since the last half of the R30 show (Overture, Temples, Grand Finale, La Villa Strangiato, By Tor & The Snow Dog, Xanadu, Working Man). While R-30 was the nod to the hardcore 70's Rush fan, Set one of The Clockwork Angels Tour was the nod to the 80's Rush fan. And that would be me all the way. Waves - Hold Your Fire was my golden age of Rush (although Hemipsheres is my 2nd fav all time) those 6 albums make up my top 8 Rush albums of all time (Hemi and 2112 in there as well). So this tour was indeed special.

Hearing Grand Designs ( as Power Windows was the only tour I did not see since I first saw Rush in 1982-83) and Middletown Dreams for the first time was so special. And it did not disappoint. The songs had a beefy sound and they made it feel and sound even more current. Not that I mind the studio versions as they are brilliant. But Alex really tore those songs up on this tour. Middletown does suffer from some empty spaces here and there on this particular performance. Grand Designs sizzled. The Body Electric being played for the first time since 1985....outstanding and Alex shredded the solo. I also loved the groove on the "replays each of the days" section. Really thick and tough. Territories went off amazingly. Alex's brilliant far east guitar parts were shining. Neils bombastic drumming cutting right through. You can see how much they enjoyed playing these songs again and the intensity and focus on the performances. They can play YYZ with their eyes closed.....but the run of Grand Designs, The Body Electric/Middletown Dreams, Territories and the insane The Analog Kid was about as good as it gets live with Rush. Speaking of The Analog Kid....it should be a concert staple going forward.....it really should.

On to the showcase of the evening. Clockwork Angels performed live (save for BU2B and part 2) is just a truly remarkable performance. The CA Ensemble was just a sheer joy to watch and hear along side the boys. They added so much drama, emotion and color to the overall sound. The stand out tracks live for me were

Clockwork Angels - a religous experience. This song IMO is the best Rush epic written since Natural Science. What an incredible song and one they are so proud of I am sure. The strings, Alex's solo, the breakdown bridge section....everything about it screams EPIC, BIG, PROG.

The Anarchist - Another EPIC Rush song. Incredible after 40 years....they pulled this album off. None ever though they could truly write a concept record again and here in 2012 they deliever one of their very best albums ever. The Anarchist is a sizzling song of vengence fronted by a sinister guitar riff and a menacing bass line from Geddy. The solo section....although short is so damn intense and effective. Again Alex reaching into his far eastern style bag of tricks.

Carnies - If this song does not show someone how incredible Alex Lifeson is at creating several sounds and moods on the guitar.....nothing will.

The Wreckers - One of my favorite tunes on the album....it was good live but took a verse to get going. I thought Alex's highly chorusy sound was a tad too processed and it suffered cutting thorugh the overall mix....being nit-picky there. But the strings, Ged's vocal and the finale of the song are fantastic.

Headlong Flight - along with the title track this was the highlight of the suite. This song's huge nod to Rush's beginings (Bastille Day, Anthem, By-Tor solo section) and just flat out attack had me pumping my head and fist. One of Rush's best jam songs in decades......decades.

Wish Them Well - such an underrated song.....a real rocker and I thought it went over well live.

7 Cities of Gold - another nod to old school Rush (more cowbell please) and another full on assault by the entire band.....the string section really picks this song up too. Big time.

The Garden - just magical. I can't say enough great things about this song. Just gorgeous strings, even Alex's piano in the bridge leading to the guitar solo (which I still think was a missed opportunity in the grand scheme as Alex has written so many spic guitar solos and this one starts incredible but kind of stumbles to the finish IMO) was touching. I loved it live and it was the perfect sedative to all the sheer intense rocking the rest of the tunes gave us.

Once thing about Clockwork Angels......it is a rocking album that really never let's up.

I loved Dreamline with the strings as well as one of my all time fav's Red Sector A.....that song has a lot of personal meaning to me and my families history. I would not be here today if both my mother and fathers parents did not survive Aushwitz. That song embodies the human spirit and what survival means.

The Manhatten Project was so great to see and hear again. Another stellar 80's song performed with gusto.

YYZ with the CA strings was sick.

Overall this IMO is Rush's best blueray from a personal standpoint of actually feeling like I am at the show. The way it was filmed gives you that personal experieince/feeling.

And the set list is just incredible.

Sonically I found the blueray on my home theater to sound great. Unlike the audio CD in 2.0 the blueray's audio in DTS surround sounds great, I hear Neil and Geddy clearly. Alex is no doubt up front in the mix but the bass and drums to cut through nicely.....and the keys and strings are almost perfectly married to the rest of the band in the mix. Great documentry to top off an incredible tour/concert film.

9.5/10

Edited by Todem
  • Like 7

I'm hearing a cracle on my bluray in 5.1. Listen to Territories, the "they shoot without same" part, just after Al's amazing backwardy part. I was switching between 5.1 (crackle) and 2.0 (not). I can hear crackle pretty much throughout in 5.1. I didn't really notice it until into set 2 of my first viewing. Since then.. :( Anyone else with bluray hearing this? Bueller?

:bump:

My Deluxe edition arrived today! I'll let you know what the Blu ray is like as soon as I buy a TV and a blu ray player, Lerxster! (I guess I didn't think through my purchase as well as I should have, but it has pictures!) :LOL: :rush:
  • Like 2

That was an outstanding post and review, Todem. Makes me want to go straight home and watch it again! :)

I'd like to zip up my flameproof suit for a second about the setlist though....

NOT that I don't like the setlist, I think it's brilliant and refreshing. I think the 'refreshing' part is these great songs we don't hear them play live (basically almost all of the eighties songs on the setlist), but the songs they did NOT play that they always play. I think that combination re-invigorated Rush and that's one of the reasons they are so damn LIVELY in this concert.

The songs that always seem to be at a show (or VERY often, anyway) that, well, maybe they are finally a little tired of:

-Spirit of Radio

-La Villa Strangiato

-Working Man

-Limelight (though it's still a soundchecker)

-Freewill, etc..

You get the idea. I think they needed a little break from playing those standards.

(pulls down face-shield of flame retardant suit)

Honestly, I'm even a little worn out on 'Tom Sawyer' live anymore....but damn if they didn't play it kick-azz in this show like everything else!

Amazing concert, amazing setlist...with some 'brave' omissions.

FWIW, I'd trade both 'Subdivisions' and 'Tom Sawyer' for them to play 'Jacob's Ladder' instead.

***Just an aside......Did I see them all chatting at the drum riser in the dark during the 2112 synth intro? lol Wouldn't you love to know what they were chatting and smiling about...

My Deluxe edition arrived today! I'll let you know what the Blu ray is like as soon as I buy a TV and a blu ray player, Lerxster! (I guess I didn't think through my purchase as well as I should have, but it has pictures!) :LOL: :rush:

I bought my R30 bluray before i bought a bluray player, and I just got my new 1080p capable tv 2 weeks ago. My old tv only went to 1080i. I know well of buying the highest tech Rush merch before I have the equipment to play it properly, or to even play it. It's called planning ahead. :P :D

• Like 1

I bought my R30 bluray before i bought a bluray player, and I just got my new 1080p capable tv 2 weeks ago. My old tv only went to 1080i. I know well of buying the highest tech Rush merch before I have the equipment to play it properly, or to even play it. It's called planning ahead. :P :D

:LOL: I promised 'him indoors' that I'd get him a blu-ray player and new TV for Christmas, and I'm thinking that a 5.1 cinema sound system would also mean that I could ask for the Sectors box sets in return! :D Despite having worked as a programmer and a computer technician at various times in my career, I still remain a luddite and refuse to get new technology unless the old stuff stops working. I'm the only person I know who has a phone that isn't internet capable, and I only chucked my CRT monitor last year after it spectacularly exploded! I love my slide rule, too! :codger:

• Like 1

That was an outstanding post and review, Todem. Makes me want to go straight home and watch it again! :)

I'd like to zip up my flameproof suit for a second about the setlist though....

NOT that I don't like the setlist, I think it's brilliant and refreshing. I think the 'refreshing' part is these great songs we don't hear them play live (basically almost all of the eighties songs on the setlist), but the songs they did NOT play that they always play. I think that combination re-invigorated Rush and that's one of the reasons they are so damn LIVELY in this concert.

The songs that always seem to be at a show (or VERY often, anyway) that, well, maybe they are finally a little tired of:

-Spirit of Radio

-La Villa Strangiato

-Working Man

-Limelight (though it's still a soundchecker)

-Freewill, etc..

You get the idea. I think they needed a little break from playing those standards.

(pulls down face-shield of flame retardant suit)

Honestly, I'm even a little worn out on 'Tom Sawyer' live anymore....but damn if they didn't play it kick-azz in this show like everything else!

Amazing concert, amazing setlist...with some 'brave' omissions.

FWIW, I'd trade both 'Subdivisions' and 'Tom Sawyer' for them to play 'Jacob's Ladder' instead.

***Just an aside......Did I see them all chatting at the drum riser in the dark during the 2112 synth intro? lol Wouldn't you love to know what they were chatting and smiling about...

Well I got to tell ya.....I heard so many complaints at the Sunrise Show when i was walking out. They did not play this, that, this that. Not enough classic songs.......hey people...I got news for ya...that first set had songs that are classics....just not your classics.

They can't please everyone. And they have 3 generations of fans. So it's a tough gig for them to come up with setlist that satisfys themselves first and foremost (because they have to play songs they can give 100% to..otherwise the show will suck) and their legions and legions of fans. I think Rush does an incredible job tour after tour of doing that. They are never going to be perfect but consider this:

Tom Sawyer

Spirit of the Radio

YYZ

Limelight

Freewill

Those songs right there are standards.....and 4 of them will be played every tour no doubt. And rightfully so. My son who is turning 9 loves all of those....and think about the new fans they have gotten over the past 10 years since Vapor Trails was released....I am seeing plenty of young people at Rush concerts.....they want those songs.

Geddy will never be able to handle the 70's stuff anymore. Save for a few tunes here and there....the 70's era of Rush being played live....was closed on the R-30 Tour.

So what do we have left? The 80's and beyond.

Reality.

I know.....I have heard TS and Spirit for o30 years now of going to Rush concerts. But they still kill those tunes live. And the crowd always goes nuts for them.

As far the crakle sounds on the 5.1.......I did not notice any.

Edited by Todem
  • Like 2

:LOL: I promised 'him indoors' that I'd get him a blu-ray player and new TV for Christmas, and I'm thinking that a 5.1 cinema sound system would also mean that I could ask for the Sectors box sets in return! :D Despite having worked as a programmer and a computer technician at various times in my career, I still remain a luddite and refuse to get new technology unless the old stuff stops working. I'm the only person I know who has a phone that isn't internet capable, and I only chucked my CRT monitor last year after it spectacularly exploded! I love my slide rule, too! :codger:

Much appreciate you making me feel not so alone in my own lack of preparation..... Just checked the mail and mine still hasn't arrived. :facepalm: I could have at least looked at the pictures...... :codger:
  • Like 1

Awesome review! I agree with you totally!

The First thing that struck me while watching the blueray last night was how cool it all started. For the first time we as Rush fans were given a nice peak backstage 2 hours before a show. How Alex and Geddy come out, talk to the CA ensemble, and then Alex playfully saying "I guess it's time to go to work".

A sound check ensues.

And then we are treated to what may be the best first set since the "Evening With" format began. I absolutely love how this was filmed. It really reminded me of the Grace Under Pressure Concert film but with todays HD technology 100x's better. It really brings me back to being there (The Orlando show from the 2nd row) and feeling the majestic power of this incredible band. 40 years strong now and they are at the top of their game. I think this is the best playing they have done since the Moving Pictures Tour (Exit Stage Left concert video) and it seems like it is so much fun for them now compared to back then when it was far more work on stage (don't get me wrong...they are still working hard up there with the mini moogs, bass pedals, and triggers) compared to today. Rush has always embraced technology and they make full use of it on this tour.

Set one is just perfect in so many ways. From the opening with Subdivisions (a blistering version) to racing into The Big Money and Force 10 they waste no time in the sheer amount of energy and pace. All three of those songs set the stage for what may be my favorite run of songs since the last half of the R30 show (Overture, Temples, Grand Finale, La Villa Strangiato, By Tor & The Snow Dog, Xanadu, Working Man). While R-30 was the nod to the hardcore 70's Rush fan, Set one of The Clockwork Angels Tour was the nod to the 80's Rush fan. And that would be me all the way. Waves - Hold Your Fire was my golden age of Rush (although Hemipsheres is my 2nd fav all time) those 6 albums make up my top 8 Rush albums of all time (Hemi and 2112 in there as well). So this tour was indeed special.

Hearing Grand Designs ( as Power Windows was the only tour I did not see since I first saw Rush in 1982-83) and Middletown Dreams for the first time was so special. And it did not disappoint. The songs had a beefy sound and they made it feel and sound even more current. Not that I mind the studio versions as they are brilliant. But Alex really tore those songs up on this tour. Middletown does suffer from some empty spaces here and there on this particular performance. Grand Designs sizzled. The Body Electric being played for the first time since 1985....outstanding and Alex shredded the solo. I also loved the groove on the "replays each of the days" section. Really thick and tough. Territories went off amazingly. Alex's brilliant far east guitar parts were shining. Neils bombastic drumming cutting right through. You can see how much they enjoyed playing these songs again and the intensity and focus on the performances. They can play YYZ with their eyes closed.....but the run of Grand Designs, The Body Electric/Middletown Dreams, Territories and the insane The Analog Kid was about as good as it gets live with Rush. Speaking of The Analog Kid....it should be a concert staple going forward.....it really should.

On to the showcase of the evening. Clockwork Angels performed live (save for BU2B and part 2) is just a truly remarkable performance. The CA Ensemble was just a sheer joy to watch and hear along side the boys. They added so much drama, emotion and color to the overall sound. The stand out tracks live for me were

Clockwork Angels - a religous experience. This song IMO is the best Rush epic written since Natural Science. What an incredible song and one they are so proud of I am sure. The strings, Alex's solo, the breakdown bridge section....everything about it screams EPIC, BIG, PROG.

The Anarchist - Another EPIC Rush song. Incredible after 40 years....they pulled this album off. None ever though they could truly write a concept record again and here in 2012 they deliever one of their very best albums ever. The Anarchist is a sizzling song of vengence fronted by a sinister guitar riff and a menacing bass line from Geddy. The solo section....although short is so damn intense and effective. Again Alex reaching into his far eastern style bag of tricks.

Carnies - If this song does not show someone how incredible Alex Lifeson is at creating several sounds and moods on the guitar.....nothing will.

The Wreckers - One of my favorite tunes on the album....it was good live but took a verse to get going. I thought Alex's highly chorusy sound was a tad too processed and it suffered cutting thorugh the overall mix....being nit-picky there. But the strings, Ged's vocal and the finale of the song are fantastic.

Headlong Flight - along with the title track this was the highlight of the suite. This song's huge nod to Rush's beginings (Bastille Day, Anthem, By-Tor solo section) and just flat out attack had me pumping my head and fist. One of Rush's best jam songs in decades......decades.

Wish Them Well - such an underrated song.....a real rocker and I thought it went over well live.

7 Cities of Gold - another nod to old school Rush (more cowbell please) and another full on assault by the entire band.....the string section really picks this song up too. Big time.

The Garden - just magical. I can't say enough great things about this song. Just gorgeous strings, even Alex's piano in the bridge leading to the guitar solo (which I still think was a missed opportunity in the grand scheme as Alex has written so many spic guitar solos and this one starts incredible but kind of stumbles to the finish IMO) was touching. I loved it live and it was the perfect sedative to all the sheer intense rocking the rest of the tunes gave us.

Once thing about Clockwork Angels......it is a rocking album that really never let's up.

I loved Dreamline with the strings as well as one of my all time fav's Red Sector A.....that song has a lot of personal meaning to me and my families history. I would not be here today if both my mother and fathers parents did not survive Aushwitz. That song embodies the human spirit and what survival means.

The Manhatten Project was so great to see and hear again. Another stellar 80's song performed with gusto.

YYZ with the CA strings was sick.

Overall this IMO is Rush's best blueray from a personal standpoint of actually feeling like I am at the show. The way it was filmed gives you that personal experieince/feeling.

And the set list is just incredible.

Sonically I found the blueray on my home theater to sound great. Unlike the audio CD in 2.0 the blueray's audio in DTS surround sounds great, I hear Neil and Geddy clearly. Alex is no doubt up front in the mix but the bass and drums to cut through nicely.....and the keys and strings are almost perfectly married to the rest of the band in the mix. Great documentry to top off an incredible tour/concert film.

9.5/10

• Like 1

Todem, nice write up! :ebert:

Since you watched on bluray w/DTS, did you detect a crackle sound in the mix? Anything like that, at all? Thanks.

I have not watched the complete show, watched a couple of the Power Windows songs along with all the CA songs and didn't hear any crackle. I did however get angry at getting the B set twice and not the A set the two times I saw this tour as Seven Cities of Gold was awesome!

I haven't read all the reviews... been a bit too busy these last few days but my overall thoughts about the DVD (not that anyone cares): Their playing is top notch. The guys chops are unbelievable. Guitar was nice and pronounced in the mix... I had no issue with the camera work.. kinda cool actually. Set list wasn't my fave, but that's ok. Having Neil's drums so lost in the mix was incredibly disappointing to me. I've listened to/watched a lot of live dvd's and somehow, most of them don't have the problems that I find on some Rush dvd's (and cd's). I just don't understand what the problem is. Maybe they should consider bringing in the guy who mixes/records Dave Matthews live DVD's. Love him or hate him, every member of the band sounds incredible on their dvd's.
  • Like 1

I haven't watched the Blu Ray yet. Saving that for when I get to see my buddy over the weekend.

I have listened to the CD many times over. I am an audiphile, and yes this does have a number of flaws, but man, I can look past it. I'm just happy we have a live document of my favorite tour (I've only seen three) so far.

• Like 1

After watching the Blu-ray, I'm a bit disappointed. The footage is fine, but the audio is pretty weak. I don't have a soundsystem, so I have to go with the 2.0 mix, which is incredibly quiet and weak here. The 5.1 mix sounds suitably better, but I'm obviously missing a lot of elements.
  • Like 1

I've watched almost all of the Blu-ray. Everything is GREAT......except for the poor mixing. The Anarchist seems to be the biggest victim, as Geddy' bass is rendered almost mute. The bass, drums, and strings should definitely be revved up. All the extras are great. Love the B/W documentary.....

I give the Blu-ray an 8/10. Definitely a keeper, and I'll be forgiving of the mixing. I can live with it. :)

• Like 1

Who destroyed the sound on Rush Clockwork Angels Tour Blu-ray/DVD:

Mix:

Mike Fraser

mike@mikefrasermix.com

https://www.facebook...mike.fraser.96/

Mastering:

Adam Ayan

staff@gatewaymastering.com

https://www.facebook.com/adamayan

Yeah, i'm pissed off and complained. :rage:

Edited by brunosamppa

Some of you peeps really need to get over yourselves. No, the mix isn't perfect but it's MUCH better than the time machine blu-ray. It's a live performance for feck's sake and a pretty good realisation of how the band sounded on this tour. Yes, Geddy's bass volume does seem to fade out at times but on songs like dreamline and the garden, 7cog it's right up there. Overall it has a much better bottom end than time machine- hell you can even hear the bass pedals being played.l do agree Neil's drums are definitely too low in the mix though.

It seems that you need to play the HD master audio at a decent volume and the mix seems to come alive and breathe a bit more.

Oh, and most of the extras are bloody embarrasing!!

And you just told other people to get over themselves......:LOL:

Oh, and most of the extras are bloody embarrasing!!

And you just told other people to get over themselves...... :LOL:

Eh?? Apples and oranges my friend. Some of the comments about the mix are soooo bwah hah hah. Those out takes and interviews are cringeworthy.

I appreciate the feel of the behind the scenes and audience approach but would not have used poor shots from some of the stage cameras. Perhaps it was an artistic choice but me no like. On my secondary system (2.1) the sound was very flat. Snakes and Arrows had excellent sound with big full drums. Here the drums sound thin and distant and at times I see Geddy playing bass but can't hear it. There is no power or dynamics in this mix. If they did it right once (R30 was also very good) there is no reason not to do bit right again.
  • Like 1