**Fan Reviews** Clockwork Angels Tour BD/DVD/CD

bscsmkr

Neil's drums and Geddy's bass are clearly there, just not as prominent as we'd like. In some tracks, I hear them better, in others less. And even within Neil's drum kit, I hear the high hats and rides very clearly, but less clear are the toms. Snare and Kick are fine to me. The mix isn't the best, but not that bad to me either. Much better than RIO, less than R30, but I just live the live feel more than their recent live records. MUCH more positives than negatives IMO.
  • Like 3

Dreamline is one of my fav Rush songs and this Dreamline might be my fav version. The ballsy guitar and nice string parts give the song a new dimension. Goosebump city!

Yeah, I like this Dreamline a lot, though not quite as much as the Different Stages version (Geddy's vocals are just awesome in that one).

I'm hearing a cracle on my bluray in 5.1. Listen to Territories, the "they shoot without same" part, just after Al's amazing backwardy part. I was switching between 5.1 (crackle) and 2.0 (not). I can hear crackle pretty much throughout in 5.1. I didn't really notice it until into set 2 of my first viewing. Since then.. :( Anyone else with bluray hearing this? Bueller?

I watched the whole thing last night.

Short version:

Alex is too loud BUT his playing is maybe the best I've ever seen so far. Neil was too quiet in many places which sucked because it looked like he was on fire throughout. It was especially noticable while using the electric side of his kit during Red Sector A. The keyboards and samples were too low in many places (Subdivisions lead, the '4 notes' section of the bridge of Where's my Thing you can't even hear them at all, etc). Geddy's singing was really pretty good- much better than the last couple DVDs IMO. The light show is by far the best I've ever seen ever for any concert it was amazing. I loved the setlist but I have to admit there were maybe 1 or 2 too many CA songs at the start of the 2nd set (and I love CA as a whole). I think the string section was cool but not on YYZ, it made the song way too busy for my tastes.

Standouts:

Territories, Analog Kid, The Body Electric, Clockwork Angels, The Garden, Headlong Flight. Actually Clockwork Angels the song might be the best one of the whole show.

P.S: Did somebody trigger a synth sample too early during Grand Designs? Like a measure too early before the chorus?

Edited by Del_Duio

From what I have heard so far the mix doesn't sound THAT bad, but with the job Bottrill did on VT remix, I think they should hire him to do everything from here on out. He's the only one that seems to be able to get it right.

Totally agree with your thoughts on Neil Peart. He IS a better player than ever, but his drum sound and even approach to creating parts have taken a step backwards.

Just watching him play the Power Windows stuff live is enough proof of this. Wow, I mean you know he's the man on drums but sometimes he still amazes.

Man the Anarchist performance is incredible but you can't even remotely hear the bass in the chorus... i don't know what the hell they were thinking releasing this, and I NEVER complain.

I think it's mostly due to the guitars being too loud throughout more than Geddy's bass being too low but yeah this was pretty noticable too.

I don't know if it has been brought up but here seems as good a place as any.

Doesn't it seem odd that Rush brought an entire string section on tour with them and didn't feel that was the PERFECT time to break out "Losing It"?

That would have been the talk of the tour, I think. Missed opportunity?

Yeah you're a bit new here but I think that was talked about for a year at least lol.

I agree, and that makes me think for sure they'll never play it live if they didn't this time.

is it just me or is there WAY TOO MUCH pink and red light on the video on the blu ray...it looks very strange on a lot of the first set songs especially.

my system is balls delux, so i would love to knwo if anyone else sees this issue...looks like a pink t-shirt was over a few of the cameras when they filmed...

Don't like the intro and outro videos - waste too much time. More songs could be played

They're at their absolute max on number of songs. This line of reasoning makes no sense. It's fair not to like them, but they are simply "extra stuff", not replacements of anything.

They are at their absolute maximum number songs makes no sense. There is no set number of songs, only a set amount of time. A lot of us remember the very old concerts where a short intro was played and then the band started the the show

I know many of us would rather have that formula as opposed to 5 minute intro videos to start the 1st and 2nd sets

So with your reasoning they couldn't just take the stage and start the concert ala Pearl Jam or they couldn't just play an opening video lasting no more that 2 minutes like on the CP or T4E tours or any number of tours before that

The videos cut into the maximum time they want to be on the stage to play songs

The videos while fun and lighthearted (that's the point) keep getting longer and longer

Cutting both videos down in half would allow for at least one more song to be played

This is just an observation

• Like 1

Don't like the intro and outro videos - waste too much time. More songs could be played

They're at their absolute max on number of songs. This line of reasoning makes no sense. It's fair not to like them, but they are simply "extra stuff", not replacements of anything.

They are at their absolute maximum number songs makes no sense. There is no set number of songs, only a set amount of time. A lot of us remember the very old concerts where a short intro was played and then the band started the the show

I know many of us would rather have that formula as opposed to 5 minute intro videos to start the 1st and 2nd sets

So with your reasoning they couldn't just take the stage and start the concert ala Pearl Jam or they couldn't just play an opening video lasting no more that 2 minutes like on the CP or T4E tours or any number of tours before that

The videos while fun and lighthearted (that's the point) keep getting longer and longer

Cutting both videos down in half would allow for at least one more song to be played

They're getting old. Give 'em a break. I'm sure they are playing as many as they can. It takes a lot of energy to play this stuff, especially for Neil.

• Like 1

A lot of us remember the very old concerts where Rush played for under 2 hours. The boys enjoy making the films. A big part of Rush is their self-indulgence. I think the last thing they'd do is stop making intro and outro films for the purpose of adding more songs.

• Like 1

They're getting old. Give 'em a break. I'm sure they are playing as many as they can. It takes a lot of energy to play this stuff, especially for Neil.

Agreed, I've been listening to both the New RUSH and The New Dream Theater live CDs back to back and I can tell you that the new RUSH CD puts out much more energy than their younger counterparts' CD. :codger:

• Like 1

I had the conversation with my band mates on Tuesday about the different directions they always take and the new things they try.

My point in that conversation was that if they weren't the type of band that always explored the "new", we never would have heard "2112" or "Hemispheres" or MP. It would have been Rush - Rush forever making them, well... Led Zeppelin. Who wants that?

I like their, "Always grow and explore the new mentality". Their concerts are the same to me. Keep changing, boys!

JMO

• Like 1

They are at their absolute maximum number songs makes no sense. There is no set number of songs, only a set amount of time.

They're in their 60s and gassed at the end. That's the point.

The 20 minute intermission is going to be 20 minutes whether the video is 20 seconds or 20 minutes. If the intro video is 5 minutes, they start it a T minus 5 minutes. If it's one minute they start it at T minus one minute. No effect on what they play. None.

• Like 2

After finishing it, I gotta say , i like the camera angles , almost like being right on stage with them.. And the audio seemed to improve with each song.. I like it overall..
  • Like 2

Doesn't it seem odd that Rush brought an entire string section on tour with them and didn't feel that was the PERFECT time to break out "Losing It"?

It all depends on if the band had any desire to play Losing It. For all we know, they don't even dig the song anymore, and they've never considered playing it live.

After watching I feel that the video shoot of this concert ranks down there with Rio. It is way too dark (like U2 in Boston) and they seem to have done nothing to help out with this. I prefer the video aspects of R30, Snakes & Time Machine way more than this Blu Ray. I also found myself not laughing at any of the outtakes, etc. the way I had when first seeing the Snakes extras. Of well, it is nice to see some obscure live versions of songs not played in years :D-13:

After watching I feel that the video shoot of this concert ranks down there with Rio. It is way too dark (like U2 in Boston) and they seem to have done nothing to help out with this. I prefer the video aspects of R30, Snakes & Time Machine way more than this Blu Ray. I also found myself not laughing at any of the outtakes, etc. the way I had when first seeing the Snakes extras. Of well, it is nice to see some obscure live versions of songs not played in years :D-13:

Yeah...but this video is super clear unlike Snakes and Time Machine. Lots of grain to be found in those.

It all depends on if the band had any desire to play Losing It. For all we know, they don't even dig the song anymore, and they've never considered playing it live.

Alex must like it. From RIAB just yesterday:

"He also has Alex choose some deep Rush tracks to play including Natural Science, Losing It and Finding My Way, with Alex providing some stories and commentary with each one."

• Like 1

They did consider it. Check out my post on that in this thread.

Wow, on my tv (55" Samsung, about four years old LCD) this concert is the best looking of the bunch going back to Rio. I think it looks perfect :) The Time Machine shows were a little more 'bright', to me, with that particular lighting setup and the way the stage and screens were set up.

I think it is way too loud. I kept feeling like I should turn it down

That seems like a user problem.

Have you tried turning it off and then back on again? Yes? Okay, hold on while I transfer you to someone in New Delhi... :blah: :eyeroll:

• Like 4

I think it is way too loud. I kept feeling like I should turn it down

That seems like a user problem.

Have you tried turning it off and then back on again? Yes? Okay, hold on while I transfer you to someone in New Delhi... :blah: :eyeroll:

Did you need this ----------------> :onthephone: and couldn't find it?