**Fan Reviews** Clockwork Angels Tour BD/DVD/CD

bscsmkr

I just thought I would post a topic where everyone can post their reviews once they had time to watch or listen to whatever media they chose and we would have them in one place

I picked up the blu-ray and the 3cd set today at lunch.

Listened to a bit of the first cd

Initial impressions:

I think it is way too loud. I kept feeling like I should turn it down

I don't like the mix at all. Seems brickwalled. Lacks separation and clarity

Neil is buried yet again (not as bad as TM) cymbal hits seems to disappear and tom rolls get lost. Good example: big money. I just don't understand how recording arguably the greatest and most influential rock drummer in history all of a sudden became a difficult job

Neil seems distant sounding and some of his playing gets lost in the mix IMO

Geddy's singing is fine and Alex and Geddy sound great and their playing is at the forefront

I thought I heard slight phasing from left to right channels which I found odd

I also thought there were parts on some tracks where the music got louder and then softer as far as volume

I think they playing is tip top

The song selection is great.

Just something about listening to it bothered me. Sounds like a really good bootleg to me.

Maybe I need more time

I'll have to wait for judgement on the blu-ray

I just don't know why it is so hard to make a great sounding live album anymore (Different Stages, R30) beautiful clarity and separation

I just thought I would post a topic where everyone can post their reviews once they had time to watch or listen to whatever media they chose and we would have them in one place

Initial impressions:

Neil is buried yet again (not as bad as TM) cymbal hits seems to disappear and tom rolls get lost. Good example: big money. I just don't understand how recording arguably the greatest and most influential rock drummer in history all of a sudden became a difficult job

Geddy's singing is fine and Alex and Geddy sound great and their playing is at the forefront

I also thought there were parts on some tracks where the music got louder and then softer as far as volume

Just something about listening to it bothered me. Sounds like a really good bootleg to me.

Maybe I need more time

I just don't know why it is so hard to make a great sounding live album anymore (Different Stages, R30) beautiful clarity and separation

This.

The mix is really crappy. Neil being so buried just kills it for me.

Just listened to set #1 at home during lunch. I have to agree about the drums being buried on the 2.0 mix. As a drummer, this is very disappointing - in particular his toms (which have lost tons of attack since the Tama and Ludwig days...) just do not cut through on the mix at all when Ged and Alex are jamming... However, the kick drum is still better than the TM disc which lacks any bottom end definition.

I have a surround set-up and will have to check the 5.1 later. However, what I heard at the cinema last night (Set 2 in 5.1) was not encouraging sound-wise. Need to check this out - but in the theater, the bass guitar seemed to be missing at the beginning of Caravan. Maybe it was a frequency thing that they corrected? I'll need to listen again at home...

Performance and energy are really good and that makes up for alot (sort of like the crowd makes up for lousy sound on Rio...)

Just listened to set #1 at home during lunch. I have to agree about the drums being buried on the 2.0 mix. As a drummer, this is very disappointing - in particular his toms (which have lost tons of attack since the Tama and Ludwig days...) just do not cut through on the mix at all when Ged and Alex are jamming... However, the kick drum is still better than the TM disc which lacks any bottom end definition.

I have a surround set-up and will have to check the 5.1 later. However, what I heard at the cinema last night (Set 2 in 5.1) was not encouraging sound-wise. Need to check this out - but in the theater, the bass guitar seemed to be missing at the beginning of Caravan. Maybe it was a frequency thing that they corrected? I'll need to listen again at home...

Performance and energy are really good and that makes up for alot (sort of like the crowd makes up for lousy sound on Rio...)

The drums were totally lost in the theater version. I was hoping that wouldn't be the case for the blue ray. :(

I totally agree with the bad mix opinions. The band is arguably at the top of their game instumentally and yet it seems to be the hardest era to get a decent mix out of!! It is pretty ridiculous

The band themselves are on fire - as they were when I saw them in LA like a week before the Texas show that was taped for this. Geddy sounds fantastic and seemingly has settled in to comfortably being able to conserve his voice night to night, and Neil and Alex are as badass as they ever were.

The band isn't the problem - hell the band really is never the problem. It is the dudes who seemingly can't seem to record and mix the band properly. That isn't to say this release isn't enjoyable, but honestly I may find myself blasting an audience recording of the show I was at a bit more frequently

I am currently on disc 2 of the CD and will be watching the blueray this weekend in my man cave in full 7.1 glory.

I agree with the drums being buired in the mix and I fully agree with Cygnify on Neils toms have lost a ton of punch since his move to DW. I much prefer his Ludwigs/Tama kits 1000x's. I realize his DW are an amazing kit....and live they sizzle....but recording wise it is not nearly as crisp (I am sure Neil would disagree whole heartadly) as his vast catalog of work. To my ears his drum sound (and overall playing before Freddy) from Waves-C.P was just absolutely stellar. Ever since T4E.......sonically...if I am being picky and keeping it real is not as strong.

I understand Neils need, and desire to change his approach.....and he is a more in the pocket player now.....but I liked his pre T4E approach to writing drums parts.....far more.....interesting and distinctive for my taste. But he still is the master....no doubt.

But enough of that. I will give a full review of both media (blureray and CD) after digesting it. But one thing that strikes home and I contend....this set list IMO is so incredible. My favorite since they went to "An Evening With" format. Truly their playing is as good on a night to night basis as it has ever been. Just incredible.
Edited by Todem
  • Like 4

Copied/pasted from another thread.

LOVE it! The mixing isn't 100% exactly what I'd like (but no live release has been), but it's a great medium between the spit polish of A SHow OF Hands/Exit Stage Live, and the manic energy of Rush In Rio. There is quite a bit more audience audio here than on the past couple releases, especially during the beginnings of songs, or during the money parts. Luckily it never quite drowns out the music (such as in Rush In Rio), even if there may be one or two instances when you wish it wasn't there. Overall it lends an incredible energy to the performance. If the last couple live releases were incredibly cleaned up (though not altered) soundboard recordings, this one can be likened to the sound of having the absolute best seat in the house.

Onto the performance, this one is really incredible. The boys are playing in incredibly fine style. LEAGUES better than Snakes & Arrows Live, which is my personal opinion as the low point for live albums, they are clearly displaying infectious energy and speed. It does lead to a couple fumbles in the song (such as Alex's bum note in 2112, which most have already heard), but hey, that's the live experience, and the degree to which they are playing around with the tunes (the solo in Force Ten give that song incredible life) more than make up for one or two fumbles. The solos in Analog Kid, Caravan, and the final solo in Spirit of Radio are all among some of the best live performances they've had the pleasure of recording. And anyone worrying about Geddy's voice, rest easy. He sounds as good here as ever (at this point in time, at least). Just listen to Manhattan Project if you want a good example, his vocals are near-indistinguishable from the album cut! Luckily, anything would be better than Time Machine tour vocals, though he had the shitty luck of having a cold during that show. I also want to point out that I'm happy with how the strings are mixed here. They are clearly audible, yet don't overshadow the band. This was probably my biggest concern.

Now, onto a few complaints. While I'm generally more than okay with the mixing, there are a couple oddities here. There are one or two moments when the drums fall a bit too much in the background. This isn't as much a problem as it was in the Time Machine Tour though. In that album, a couple of the drums (especially high hat) were recorded just terribly, rendering them inaudible, but here the volume is just a bit lower than you'd like. It's all audible, but I can understand why some would want the drums to be more prominent.

My main complaint is that the mixing is a bit inconsistent, almost like it's been done by a few separate people with separate priorities. Songs like Analog Kid and Caravan bust forth with the energy you'd expect, yet the beginning to Headlong Flight is a bit too quiet, almost like the music is far away or something. Also, while the presence of audience cheering doesn't throw me off, the constant presence of stage sound effects (fire, bangs, flares, etc) is a bit annoying. Things like this pop up from time to time, and while it doesn't hinder my enjoyment, it does hinder it from being a perfect live recording. The opening to YYZ, for example, has an odd hissing sound that is pretty off putting, and I'm not sure how it made it through the mixing process (perhaps with all the instruments and tracks, it was just impossible to completely erase). The hissing goes away after the intro, but it's annoying. Little things like that pop up a few times.

*NOTE: It's entirely possible that some of these nitpicks are partially due to the low quality of the stream. It's doubtful, as The Garden and 2112 sound pretty much as they did on the other web sites when they premiered, but the possibility is there.

Overall, while this probably won't replace R30 as my favorite live recording, I will definitely get a ton of mileage out of it. It's just really nice to hear the band at their peak, there are some incredible moments during this performance that illustrate why live albums can be so magical. Little flourishes that bring these songs above the rigid confines of the studio versions. The nitpicks I have with the mixing, while annoying, are definitely not of the Rush In Rio-level to actually hinder your enjoyment if you're here for the music. More often than not, they serve to put you right in the middle of the best sounding concert you've ever been to, instead of hearing a really high quality soundboard recording. I can live with that.

*Oh, It should also be noted for those who care that the Limelight soundcheck recording is missing about 70% of the vocals. Geddy usually just sings the first few words of a line and then stops. I assume this is common practise for a soundcheck, since the whole point is just to test the sound. Still, it's a bit odd. I assume since Limelight wasn't played at either show, this is probably the most complete recording of it they had. Better than not having it at all, I suppose. Plus, it ends with a cool funky jam ;)

From what I have heard so far the mix doesn't sound THAT bad, but with the job Bottrill did on VT remix, I think they should hire him to do everything from here on out. He's the only one that seems to be able to get it right.

Totally agree with your thoughts on Neil Peart. He IS a better player than ever, but his drum sound and even approach to creating parts have taken a step backwards.

• Like 1

Initial impressions:

Maybe I need more time

Just wanted to also give a shout out to All The Worlds A Stage. Super sound and clarity on all instruments. Is old school the best school? Also still waiting for my copy to be delivered....... :codger: :(
  • Like 1

But also remember the drums on Different Stages and R30 are tremendous

They are also the "dreaded" DW's, but they were miked and mixed and brought up to front for sonic clarity

Everything is perfect on those mixes

I love DW drums - I own a set and Neil's sound suffers from the people mixing the live albums. His drums sound great when properly mixed. Neil sound has changed to accomadate less drums to fill in the sound of the bigger kits where he no longer has all those drums.

I agree Botrill should be used to mix all Rush albums

I had way more hope for this album, but............

Edited by bscsmkr

All The World's A Stage, quite frankly, is one of my least favorite live recordings. Neil hadn't totally refined his style yet and is over-playing all over the place. Geddy is in all out helium mode. The youthful energy certainly makes up for it though.

But also remember the drums on Different Stages and R30 are tremendous

They are also the "dreaded" DW's, but they were miked and mixed and brought up to front for sonic clarity

Everything is perfect on those mixes

I love DW drums - I own a set and Neil's sound suffers from the people mixing the live albums. His drums sound great when properly mixed. Neil sound has changed to accomadate less drums to fill in the sound of the bigger kits where he no longer has all those drums.

I agree Botrill should be used to mix all Rush albums

I had way more hope for this album, but............

I have a huge kit of the Ludwig Super Classics like Neil used to play. I've always thought about seeing what I could get for them on ebay, but am always hesitant as they quit making that shell a long time ago. My sizes are....6,8,10,12,13,16,18,22.

• Like 1

Initial impressions:

Maybe I need more time

Initial impressions:

Maybe I need more time

Here we go again/ If you look closely, you can see that Geddy's laces on his shoes are done up wrong :facepalm:
  • Like 3

Initial impressions:

Maybe I need more time

Initial impressions:

Maybe I need more time

Here we go again/ If you look closely, you can see that Geddy's laces on his shoes are done up wrong :facepalm:

I noticed that too. :LOL:

• Like 1

Alright, fan reviews. Took the afternoon off and waited for the mail lady. She was on time and brought me my bluray. I watched it with my wife all the way through, and I gotta say I love it! I loved how the movie started, with all the behind the scenes then Limelight sound check, instead of starting right off with the show. This is the most intimate Rush concert film ever. I didn't mind the shots from the crowd. It complemented the intimacy aspect by making it seem you are at the show. The performances were top notch. So many moments of fire and the sublime. I think this is the most my eyes have moistened of any Rush dvd release, and during both sets. Loved how they made those 80's songs sound amazing/updated. The CA section was magic. The sound was good. I was running 5.1 with my sub. It took some tweaking to get it, but it was fine. I didn't red line it though. One day when I'm alone. :D

Yeah, there was some quick cuts a plenty. It didn't bother me too much. Some of the time you could kind of follow Alex through some of the cuts, for example. Quibble: showing the crowd or Geddy or Neil instead of shots of Alex playing or soloing during Bravado and YYZ were maddening. A bit too many fast cuts. Minor quibbles, overall. I can't wait to spend more time with this. Santa's bringing me the cd's, so I have to work in time with the bluray until then. This is why I needed the $99 package! :madra:

In summary, I loved the show. The presentation wasn't perfect, but there's too much to love about this release. The performances, the set list.. some absolutely lovely direction at times. Grey called it just right in his thread. Must buy. :hail: :rush:

• Like 3

I just love the strings addition! What a treat! Gives so much color and harmony to already stellar tracks. Could not hear the strings well in the concerts I attended, but now they are clearly heard! Song selection is awesome.....what energetic, high tempo stuff! Their playing is incredible....blows my mind that their chops remain so sharp at this stage of their career. You can tell they really had a great time with inspiration and infectious enthusiasm.

About the mix, it's not perfect, not as good as R30, but to me not nearly as bad as some are complaining about. I can hear Neil just fine....a little louder drumming in the mix would be nice, but saying he's "completely buried" to me is not true at all. The high hat and ride cymbals are esp clear. Kick drum is good. Higher toms I would prefer louder, but a minor quibble. Overall, a very live feel with high energy, passion, and dynamic musicianship and incredible playing. Im very pleased and these CDs are going to be in my car player for a LONG time!

Will watch Blu Ray this weekend.

Thanks for the reviews everyone.

Haven't watched the DVD yet, but will get around to it soon.

Does anyone know what the T Shirt looks like in the Best Buy edition?

Light grey in color. It has the "original album" logo. Inside the letters of the logo are the words "blah, blah, blah, etc".

Clem

• Like 1

Thanks for the reviews everyone.

Haven't watched the DVD yet, but will get around to it soon.

Does anyone know what the T Shirt looks like in the Best Buy edition?

Light grey in color. It has the "original album" logo. Inside the letters of the logo are the words "blah, blah, blah, etc".

Clem

Thanks Clem!