Rush: B-Sides? Rare tracks? Unreleased (bootlegged) studio material? Do such things exist?

Segue Myles

There's not much at all.

The first single - "Not Fade Away"/"You Can't Fight It"

The bootleg The Fifth Order of Angels/Rush ABC: Live from Cleveland's Agora Ballroom 1974 for live versions of unrecorded songs - "Fancy Dancer", "Garden Road" and "Bad Boy".

A live version of "Vital Signs" that was the b-side to "New World Man"

A bootleg of Power Window demos.

A Rock Band/Guitar hero alternate mix of "Working Man"

That's all I got...

Edited by ReRushed

Well, the posts above me mentioned every studio/album B sides that I know of. Permanent Waves was originally going to have an epic based off of (and titled) Sir Gawain and the Green Knight but as far as I know, they scrapped it way before it could have possibly been recorded because it was out of place with the other songs.

There's a lot of unreleased live audio/videos circulating but I don't think that's what you're asking for is it?

Well, the posts above me mentioned every studio/album B sides that I know of. Permanent Waves was originally going to have an epic based off of (and titled) Sir Gawain and the Green Knight but as far as I know, they scrapped it way before it could have possibly been recorded because it was out of place with the other songs.

There's a lot of unreleased live audio/videos circulating but I don't think that's what you're asking for is it?

That Permanent Waves epic became "Natural Science".

• Like 1

I must admit, I'm relieved! I hate having to search for b-sides and rarities when so often said tracks were polished and ready for album release!

One example is Nightwish. So many great songs and demo versions...so much money spent searching and collecting! Good on Rush for being so tight in the recording studio!

In a 2009 interview Geddy was asked if there was any unreleased material in the vaults. This was his answer:

"There isn’t. None. There’s lots of unreleased live material. Hours. Months. But there’s no [studio] material that we’ve recorded and not released. It’s like this: if we’re working on a song where we don’t love it enough to put it on the record, we throw it away. If we’re disappointed in them, we trash them."

In a 2009 interview Geddy was asked if there was any unreleased material in the vaults. This was his answer:

"There isn’t. None. There’s lots of unreleased live material. Hours. Months. But there’s no [studio] material that we’ve recorded and not released. It’s like this: if we’re working on a song where we don’t love it enough to put it on the record, we throw it away. If we’re disappointed in them, we trash them."

This is what I remember.

Rock Band 2 has an alternate version of The Trees. The guitar solo is different.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnC88xBPkkc

I'm not sure if it's the exact version, but the vault edition sounds quite similar to this.

Really? Never knew that. (Not having heard the "vault edition" of The Trees)

This is a soundstage performance along with performances of Circumstances and La Villa Strangiato. If I recall correctly, those last two are on the bonus disc to R30