123 members have voted

1. 1. Best of the last 5 albums?

• Counterparts
    • Test for echo
    • Vapor trails/ Vapor trails remix
    • Snakes & arrows
    • Clockwork angels

I am now playing VP- Remixed.

I held off from listening to this, and now its remixed all I can say is I am glad I waited! This is still one very loud record!

And a brilliant one to boot. The lack of keyboards is not an issue, I love this change! And their are a lot of amazing songs here...I have had an amazing day catching up with Rush, and the Atlantic years have made we question just how much I prefer the seventies efforts. There is a lot to admire about their latest albums!

Counterparts and Vapor Trails are as good as Clockwork Angels. That makes me very happy!

It's distracted me from Bruce Springsteen. I never expected that!

• Like 1

3.) Test for Echos - I can't stand how much hate this album gets, I love so many songs on this album and I really love the tour they went on for this album.

Same. Easily my #2 on this list behind CA. It's got some of my very favorites on it, and is one of my faves to listen to.

• Like 1

3.) Test for Echos - I can't stand how much hate this album gets, I love so many songs on this album and I really love the tour they went on for this album.

Same. Easily my #2 on this list behind CA. It's got some of my very favorites on it, and is one of my faves to listen to.

I don't see this ever being a top five effort for me, but this is still a very strong album!

I really hope I carry on liking this album. It impressed me a lot on first listen.

I don't see this ever being a top five effort for me, but this is still a very strong album!

I really hope I carry on liking this album. It impressed me a lot on first listen.

It does sound great at first listen. I remember loving it. It hasn't endured for me like other efforts though. Time and Motion I love, though.

It's a top ten effort for me, that's for sure. It will always be my dark horse album.

It's nowhere near Hemispheres, Signals, MP, GUP, PeW, PoW, CA, and AFTK, but I'd say it comes right after that. For me at least.

Edited by ZachenFoot

Vapor Trails Remixed

Snakes & Arrows

Counterparts

Test For Echo

Clockwork Angels

Vapor Trails (Normal version)

I must take Vapor Trails and Vapor Trails Remixed as two different albums, since its such a huge different on those two, I dont really like so much the normal Vapor Trails, but I LOVE Vapor Trails Remixed.

For me, only CA and CP are great albums. I find VP and SA a bit heavygoing. So...CA still!

But none of these are bad albums, I even enjoy T4E in the right mood!

This for me is actually pretty hard, especially the top 3. I love all those first three albums on the list almost equally, but have a very soft spot for "Counterparts". So here goes:

1.Counterparts

2.Clockwork Angels

3.Vapor Trails

4.Snakes & Arrows

5.Test For Echo

I'm in a vast minority. But I love S&A . I love the sound quality the songs, the folky vibe.

Counterparts should have been an EP. Half a good album.

CA. Again I like about half the songs. But it's got horrible production. I just can't seem to rise above that. A thick muddy loud glaze.

T43 and VT :no:

Mick

• Like 1

1. Clockwork Angels -- Only one clunker on here (Wish You Well).

2. Vapor Trails -- I've always loved VT...even before the remix!

3. Test For Echo -- Inconsistent. I can do without a few songs here. But Time and Motion? Come ON! This just might be THE best song from any of these five albums.

4. Snakes & Arrows -- Mostly tedium, unfortunately.

5. Counterparts -- Just not my cup o' tea.

• Like 1

Hard to really rate an album on total likeage. Sometimes the good songs will be so good that they overcome any others that aren't so good.. I'd probably rate them like this in a general way.

1. Snakes & Arrows - Love most of the album. TMMB, Mal Nar, Faithless and Workin' Them Angels are favorites. I liked Far Cry to start with but it got old really fast. I rarely listen to it now.

2. Clockwork Angels - A lot of this album came alive for me quite literally when I heard them during the tour. It was kind of meh for me before that, though I loved Caravan. I wish the production was better.

3. Test For Echo - Here is an instance where the good songs outweigh the bad. Only clunkers I would say are Dog Years and Limbo.

4. Vapor Trails - To be honest I haven't had a lot of time to really get down and listen to this as much as I would like. That's the only real reason it's ranked here. I do really like Ceiling Unlimited, Freeze and Sweet Miracle, The rest I I need to absorb more.

5. Counterparts - I like the first three songs, then LTTA. The rest I could take or leave.

Hard to really rate an album on total likeage. Sometimes the good songs will be so good that they overcome any others that aren't so good.. I'd probably rate them like this in a general way.

1. Snakes & Arrows - Love most of the album. TMMB, Mal Nar, Faithless and Workin' Them Angels are favorites. I liked Far Cry to start with but it got old really fast. I rarely listen to it now.

2. Clockwork Angels - A lot of this album came alive for me quite literally when I heard them during the tour. It was kind of meh for me before that, though I loved Caravan. I wish the production was better.

3. Test For Echo - Here is an instance where the good songs outweigh the bad. Only clunkers I would say are Dog Years and Limbo.

4. Vapor Trails - To be honest I haven't had a lot of time to really get down and listen to this as much as I would like. That's the only real reason it's ranked here. I do really like Ceiling Unlimited, Freeze and Sweet Miracle, The rest I I need to absorb more.

5. Counterparts - I like the first three songs, then LTTA. The rest I could take or leave.

Sounds good :LOL: :outtahere:

I love how Rush have 20 albums and not one has consistent negative feedback. Vapor Trails always had its admirers, Test For Echo is a bit of humdrum with a good deal of quality here and there. I think its impressive!
  • Like 1

I'm loving the Vapour Trails remix so much lately that I was reluctant to make the choice, but I had to bow before how much the entire Clockwork Angels experience means to me (well, except for that book! :LOL: ) and vote that as the top.

My list:

1. Clockwork Angels

2. Vapour Trails Remixed

3. Snakes And Arrows

4. Counterparts and Test For Echo - Equally unappealing. I like the few songs I like on Counterparts a lot more than I like the few songs I like on Test For Echo, but I also hate the rest of it a lot more.

• Like 1

Sounds good :LOL: :outtahere:

:cheers:

1. Test For Echo- Sorry but for some reason I can listen to this one all the way through every time

2. Clockwork Angels- The more i listen to it, the better it gets. Well, except for BU2B2.

3. Snakes & Arrows- A lot of good songs here.

4. Vapor Trails- I'm liking the remix but I feel that Peaceable Kingdom is the worst song they've done.

5. Counterparts. Starts off great but then fizzles in the middle and doesn't get any better

• Like 1

Vapor Trails (I love it), Counterparts (Great sounding effort, and some overall strong songwriting), Snakes & Arrows (another good sounding album with amazing musical moments...themes get tiresome), Clockwork Angels (Some great playing, but not great sounding...don't really care for the story), Test for Echo (only two songs I care to listen to)

I agree (its all taste I know but...). First of all I cant believe the time frame between these 5 albums (I am old - I remember when an album came out every year or two) - and I also think the last offerings had moments, but were a tad indulgent and LONG and as such packed less punch. Thats not to say there isnt brilliance on those albums, but as a whole.. I believe they suffer from their length and their mid tempo offerings.

• Like 3

Vapor Trails (I love it), Counterparts (Great sounding effort, and some overall strong songwriting), Snakes & Arrows (another good sounding album with amazing musical moments...themes get tiresome), Clockwork Angels (Some great playing, but not great sounding...don't really care for the story), Test for Echo (only two songs I care to listen to)

I agree (its all taste I know but...). First of all I cant believe the time frame between these 5 albums (I am old - I remember when an album came out every year or two) - and I also think the last offerings had moments, but were a tad indulgent and LONG and as such packed less punch. Thats not to say there isnt brilliance on those albums, but as a whole.. I believe they suffer from their length and their mid tempo offerings.

I agree. I love music. But i am a say your piece and get out kind of guy. An album over 45 mins is testing me. CA at 66 mins is too much. I think if your gonna go that long. You had better be confident you have strong material. Otherwise i'm editing, lol and with CA i have my own version that's 42 mins. So i think you know i did some chopping.

Mic

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1

I agree. I love music. But i am a say your piece and get out kind of guy. An album over 45 mins is testing me. CA at 66 mins is too much. I think if your gonna go that long. You had better be confident you have strong material. Otherwise i'm editing, lol and with CA i have my own version that's 42 mins. So i think you know i did some chopping.

Mic

Curious what you chopped if you don't mind sharing? Nothing negative. Just curious and why..... :huh:
  • Like 1

Ok warning you in advance.....I did a job, lol

I cut

Caravan

BU2B

Carnies

Seven Cities.

BU2B2

All these never did much for me. And within the album when you take all those heavier tracks to me they start to blend together. Yes i know they have different melodies but with the heavy think production.....it's a bit much.

Mick

• Like 1

Harder choice than I thought. S&A for two reasons: The music is rock solid, and there's a sort of mental/spiritual affinity to it due to what was going on in my life then.

Clockwork Angels by a landslide — All twelve songs on this album are exceptional. Caravan and Headlong Flight are two of Rush's best songs, ever. (Moving Pictures is the only album I love more than this.)

Snakes and Arrows — Far Cry, Workin' Them Angels, and Malignant Narcissism are great, but the rest is kind of average (except We Hold On. My least favorite Rush song.)

Counterparts — four great songs: Animate, Stick it Out, Leave That Thing Alone, and Everyday Glory. Then…mediocrity, at best. (Cold Fire is okay, I guess.)

Test for Echo — I like the album as a whole, but there is only one excellent song (Driven) and one great song (Test for Echo) before it turns to filler.

Vapor Trails — my least favorite album. One Little Victory is in my top ten favorite songs, but the rest is unlistenable. I don't have the remix, so I can't say much about it.