Lucky Me, I Have The DVD!!!

greyfriar

Spoiler Warning!

This message may contain spoilers.

A man can lose himself, watching this DVD.

The bonus section is very sumptuous and contains some interesting, funny stuff. The heart of the 8 special feature clips are undoubtedly the 25 minutes of the tour documentary. It brought me almost to tears watching all the interviews and it gives me a feeling of meeting some old friends that I haven't seen in a long time. Moving, with some very funny elements.

A short clip called The Family Goy confirmed the humour of the guys. It feeds us with some funny, but useless, facts (everybody knows that Neil Peart doesn't fart). It's hilarious and the clips are some good appetizers before you start with the main course.

The performance is grand. The sound roars (like breakers) pompous through the living room. Yet again I was (almost) in tears. It's such a joy to watch these guys play this fine setlist. Biggest surprise is undoubtedly Geddy, who plays steadily tight, like a clockwork and sings like an angel. His best vocal performance (on DVD) in a long time.

Very funny aspect is to see Neil and Alex goofing off. I've never seen so much grimaces from Neil and he radiates a lot of delight in what he's doing.

Alex pulls out all the stops and proves (again and again) that he's one of the best guitarists in Rock circus. Some great solos from him.

I love this DVD. It's sublime and satisfying as if to fly!

For the whiners and the moaners. Stay away from buying this release. Of course it has some blurred scenes, a lame crowd, bad sound, poor editing, not enough cowbell, too much 80's songs, a string ensemble, no lasers, and they're not playing Hemispheres in its entirety.

I can't stop thinking big and I can't stop watching this... :rush:

Cheers Grey

• Like 6

Spoiler Warning!

The bonus section is very sumptuous and contains some interesting, funny stuff. The heart of the 8 special feature clips are undoubtedly the 25 minutes of the tour documentary. It brought me almost to tears watching all the interviews and it gives me a feeling of meeting some old friends that I haven't seen in a long time. Moving, with some very funny elements.

A short clip called The Family Goy confirmed the humour of the guys. It feeds us with some funny, but useless, facts (everybody knows that Neil Peart doesn't fart). It's hilarious and the clips are some good appetizers before you start with the main course.

The performance is grand. The sound roars (like breakers) pompous through the living room. Yet again I was (almost) in tears. It's such a joy to watch these guys play this fine setlist. Biggest surprise is undoubtedly Geddy, who plays steadily tight, like a clockwork and sings like an angel. His best vocal performance (on DVD) in a long time.

Very funny aspect is to see Neil and Alex goofing off. I've never seen so much grimaces from Neil and he radiates a lot of delight in what he's doing.

Alex pulls out all the stops and proves (again and again) that he's one of the best guitarists in Rock circus. Some great solos from him.

For the whiners and the moaners. Stay away from buying this release. Of course it has some blurred scenes, a lame crowd, bad sound, poor editing, not enough cowbell, too much 80's songs, a string ensemble, no lasers, and they're not playing Hemispheres in its entirety.

Cheers Grey

A great review Grey. I look forward to this so much. F'n amazon better get it hear soon!

Spoiler Warning!

Cheers Grey

A great review Grey. I look forward to this so much. F'n amazon better get it hear soon!

I don't want to spoil you guys too much. There is a lot more going on on this release. Be prepared. You will love it and you will revise your opinion that you'll only be interested in CA songs. Believe me.

Spoiler Warning!

Cheers Grey

Grey I gotta tell you that your english writing skills are fantastic for a person who native language is German. Tough to make the transition. My mom had to do it and she said it was hard. Great review
  • Like 1

It brought me almost to tears watching all the interviews and it gives me a feeling of meeting some old friends that I haven't seen in a long time.

It does make you feel that way, doesn't it? I thought I was the only one who felt that.

You're not alone Lorraine. It was so moving to see and hear the guys (and the Ensemble) talking about the tour...an emotional roller coaster.

• Like 1

Spoiler Warning!

Cheers Grey

Grey I gotta tell you that your english writing skills are fantastic for a person who native language is German. Tough to make the transition. My mom had to do it and she said it was hard. Great review

Thanks man. I can empathize with your mom. It's truely very tough to write on a forum in a foreign language. Speaking is much easier.

• Like 2

Greyfriar, if this means my copy of the dvd in Denmark will be delayed like the Vapor Trails vinyl did, you owe me beer! :rage: :codger:

:D :cheers:

No problem man. If that's the case I will buy you a beer on the next Rush tour. Hope to see you soon. :cheers:

• Like 1

I'm working in a little hick town right now but to help fight boredom I bought a 47" LCD TV off a buddy a few days ago. Then yesterday I drove to the nearest city and bought a cheap play station 3. I dont watch a lot of TV and I'm not a huge video game nut, it was just so I had something to do in the motel room.

Now I open this thread and realize that the new Rush blue ray comes out in a few days and now for the first time in my life I own blue ray player and decent TV!!! Now I'm super stoked about this !!!! :D

• Like 1

Am i the only one who feels a tinge of sadness when seeing a GR 79 reply? The TRF Eyore.. "Probably just as well, it's no good anyway" :( :boohoo: :tongue:

I was going to watch this tonight, but my wife and son forced me to watch with them this afternoon instead. Only watching it once until I see it on the big screen.

First impressions are I'm not sure I like the director's work in this case. Or maybe it's the editors work.....Lot's of great stuff, but the camera angle choices are a mixed bag. Definately THE tour though. Strings higher in the mix (a good thing) and it does a pretty good job of what it was like to be there. The set of course is to die for and most people in the crowd seem to realize this. Very moving show.

• Like 1

Just hoping I'll receive my VHS 2-tape brick copy by the release day...

No, I get everything on DVD. Don't feel the need to upgrade to a blu-ray player anytime soon.

Much much much improved visual, and more importantly, audio quality.

Would you rather watch a 1gb file, or a 15gb file?

Believe me, blu ray is worth the upgrade, if you are using all the hardware properly.

• Like 1

When everyone has the DVD and I don't, I'll be glad that I saw it in theaters.

Being poor sucks when you want to jump on the bandwagon!

How is the sound quality?

I have Rush In Rio, and the vocal mix is so bad I have no desire to ever buy another live DVD from Rush again (coz that one cost me £19).

However I can't afford to see them live, so if this is a good alternative could someone let me know? Either that or perhaps another better alternative.

How is the sound quality?

I have Rush In Rio, and the vocal mix is so bad I have no desire to ever buy another live DVD from Rush again (coz that one cost me £19).

However I can't afford to see them live, so if this is a good alternative could someone let me know? Either that or perhaps another better alternative.

Did you read the book included with Rush In Rio that explains why the sound quality was so bad? Everything else sounds better.

I did but I didn't really pick up on that! But still...

So is this new one likely to please me?