Close To The Edge Remix - Glorious 5.1 DTS Master Audio by SW!!!

Tony R

Ok, it arrived yesterday, I've played it twice and the stereo remix once and it's Prog-f***ing-Licious!

Greatest Prog album eva, now got the Steven Wilson breath of life bestowed on it.

I Get Up I Get Down is glorious!!

Buy, buy, buy!!!!

• Like 5

Ok, it arrived yesterday, I've played it twice and the stereo remix once and it's Prog-f***ing-Licious!

Greatest Prog album eva, now got the Steven Wilson breath of life bestowed on it.

Buy, buy, buy!!!!

So I'm a casual Yes fan (I own only 5 of their early albums) but I like what I have. I have the remaster of this album, which is my favorite. Is it really worth it to get a remix? Why does it sound better to you?

My wife had to go to Georgia for work so I had the house to myself and I blasted it at high volume. I haven't enjoyed Close To The Edge so much since the time I listened to it on acid. Wow, it's almost a religious experience. Steven Wilson wins the debate. Edited by drbirdsong
  • Like 1

My wife had to go to Georgia for work so I had the house to myself and I blasted it at high volume. I haven't enjoyed Close To The Edge so much since the time I listened to it on acid. Wow, it's almost a religious experience. Steven Wilson wins the debate.

Where did you buy it?

• Like 1

Buy, buy, buy!!!!

So I'm a casual Yes fan (I own only 5 of their early albums) but I like what I have. I have the remaster of this album, which is my favorite. Is it really worth it to get a remix? Why does it sound better to you?

Because it's in HD Surround and if you have a decent AV set up...and Steven Wilson remixed it...

On a related note, I'm getting my Steve Wilson remix of XTC's Nonesuch tonight. I can't wait.

I'm not really into buying these remixes, but I may pick this one up for the bonus material as Nonsuch has become one of my favorite albums over the last several months. I may also pick up Close to the Edge too, even though the bonus tracks don't look too interesting. But I guess it'll be worth it if sounds as good as people say it is.

Edited by ColdFireYYZ
  • Like 1

On a related note, I'm getting my Steve Wilson remix of XTC's Nonsuch tonight. I can't wait.

I'm not really into buying these remixes, but I may pick this one up for the bonus material as Nonsuch has become one of my favorite albums over the last several months. I may also pick up Close to the Edge too, even though the bonus tracks don't look too interesting. But I guess it'll be worth it if sounds as good as people say it is.

Nonsuch is wonderful. I just might have to purchase Close to the Edge.

• Like 1

I listened to Close To The Edge during my workout today to pay homage to this thread. :notworthy: I do listen frequently to Yes during my workout's anyway but usually go with the mid to late 70's early 80's stuff. I got up and got down for sure today. I had to throw Awaken in after Close To The Edge, just for kicks. I have to say the pipe organ just hit's me deep in my soul. It may be because I grew up in the church and my mother was the pianist/organist when I was young. The power and grandeur of the pipe organ never fails to bring goosebumps and emotion when I listen. Someone could be playing spoons and a washboard in the background and it would probably move me. Yes' music is so classic and the pipe organ just adds sweet icing to a wonderful cake............... :codger: Edited by Narpet

My wife had to go to Georgia for work so I had the house to myself and I blasted it at high volume. I haven't enjoyed Close To The Edge so much since the time I listened to it on acid. Wow, it's almost a religious experience. Steven Wilson wins the debate.

Where did you buy it?

I ordered it online and it cost me a bit of scratch. God help me, but I have no recall of the memory. That means I probably got excited and pulled out the plastic late one night under the influence of the grape. Look online and you can find one. Just be prepared to pay a bit more for it than the one you can get in your hometown. It has a lot of nice bonus tracks on it too.

So, is this not available in the US?

http://www.amazon.com/Close-Edge-Blu-ray-Yes/dp/B00EG0MVMA/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1384525518

http://stevenwilsonh...edge-cdblu-ray/

(there's also a DVD-A/CD combo, but I don't really see the benefit of ordering that unless you don't own a bluray player or want to save a few bucks).

Edited by stoopid

Can you imagine if they recorded that album today with all of the new technology? As it is, way back when it first came out, it was phenomenal.

What about the remix import that is for sale on Amazon from 2001 (or somewhere around then)? Is it worth getting?

Can you imagine if they recorded that album today with all of the new technology? As it is, way back when it first came out, it was phenomenal.

What about the remix import that is for sale on Amazon from 2001 (or somewhere around then)? Is it worth getting?

Is that the Japanese HDCD remaster? I'm sure it's really good, but the Rhino remaster that is the official CD now is probably just as good, or better. I have the HDCD remaster of Yessongs, and it is an improvement over the original CD. Rhino never remastered Yessongs or Yesshows.

One interesting note about remasters - I had bought, without knowing at the time, the Gastwirt remaster of The Yes Album. I thought it sounded great, and Chris' bass was really full and punchy throughout the album. A few years later, I bought the HDCD version, thinking it would be a revelation, but immediately I didnot like it as much as the one I already had, so I returned it right away. But I have been really happy with all the Rhino remasters.

One interesting note about remasters - I had bought, without knowing at the time, the Gastwirt remaster of The Yes Album. I thought it sounded great, and Chris' bass was really full and punchy throughout the album. A few years later, I bought the HDCD version, thinking it would be a revelation, but immediately I didnot like it as much as the one I already had, so I returned it right away. But I have been really happy with all the Rhino remasters.

Thank you, Sheldon. :)

Amazon has one for $2.96 used. It is a remaster from 2003. Would this be any good? Or is the 2008 remaster better?