Which studio album should I get next?

Counterpwnt

Since he's said he has AFTK already, I'll add my vote for Snakes and Arrows. I definitely prefer it over what's left that he doesn't have (for studio albums).

SnA over CP? really? I would understand saying it about TFE as they are similarly uneven albums, but Counterparts has such a great theme running throughout, has the best production until the VT remix and has the best songs of Rush made in the 90's. While a couple of tracks in the middle slow things down I admit, I honestly consider this their Moving Pictures of the 90's

Music is art, and art is subjective :)

I think it's great you love CP so much, it just doesn't 'reach' me in a meaningful way.

I do share your opinions on HYF though...I've always had a soft spot for that album. It's really anchored for me by "Time Stands Still", one of my all-time favorite Rush songs, and I do enjoy nearly the whole record very much. It's pretty unique in the Rush catalog.

Hey, I like your Seahawks for Vengeance!

I think I'm missing Counterparts, Test For Echo, and Snakes & Arrows. Is Counterparts the one to get next?

YES If you like rock music in general it's a goddamn amazing album. I like it 100% more than AFtK. The songwriting/ singing/production is just better in my opinion (And I Know I'm in the minority for saying that)

I'm with you here.

Can't wait to complete my Rush collection with the Studio Album box set!

Every album from Presto through to SaA. I only own one of those (Snakes and Arrows) so I look forward to hearing the rest!

You're in for a lot of good listening. I wish i could hear counterparts, RtB, TfE and VT for the first time again.

• Like 1

Im looking forward to hearing Vapor Trails. I have held off listening to it coz I couldn't face the sound problems

Hi everyone. I'm a big fan, but I don't have all the studio albums yet.

I have Rush, Caress of Steel, Fly By Night, 2112, Hemispheres, Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures, Signals, Grace Under Pressure, Power Windows, Hold Your Fire, Presto, Roll the Bones, Clockwork Angels, and Vapor Trails: Remixed. Assuming I could only buy one more for a while, which is the most integral addition?

Thanks. :)

A Farewell to Kings

This ^^

Yep! Followed by Counterparts!

Yay my box set arrived!

A bit bare bones but hey! It was cheap...so looking forward to catching up with EVERYTHING!

Dunno why, but I am really looking forward to Counterparts and Vapor Trails.

Since he's said he has AFTK already, I'll add my vote for Snakes and Arrows. I definitely prefer it over what's left that he doesn't have (for studio albums).

SnA over CP? really? I would understand saying it about TFE as they are similarly uneven albums, but Counterparts has such a great theme running throughout, has the best production until the VT remix and has the best songs of Rush made in the 90's. While a couple of tracks in the middle slow things down I admit, I honestly consider this their Moving Pictures of the 90's

S&A has 4 excellent songs, including it's most iconic song since Dreamline (making it the second iconic song since Subdivisions) , and CP has 4 songs that are good or very good. S&A isn't a great album, but it's highs are much higher than CP's, and it never devolves into the cringe-worthy depths of CP.

S&A has 4 excellent songs, including it's most iconic song since Dreamline (making it the second iconic song since Subdivisions) , and CP has 4 songs that are good or very good. S&A isn't a great album, but it's highs are much higher than CP's, and it never devolves into the cringe-worthy depths of CP.

keep in mind, you're in the minority in regards to your opinion on CP.

I can't wait to start arguing over the entire Rush catalogue!

Woop! Presto down...five left to go and I'm gonna be a pro!

In the minority of hardcore fans, yes. Sales, radio play, crowd reactions, and experience makes me believe that casuals and non-fans agree with me.

I can't wait to start arguing over the entire Rush catalogue!

Woop! Presto down...five left to go and I'm gonna be a pro!

Take some time and digest them...this isn't a sprint!

• Like 2

Come on children! Behave!

I am really digging Counterparts. Has to be said...I don't care about sales statistics (Otherwise we would all be backstreet boys fans!), CP is better to my ears than Snakes and Arrows.

• Like 3

Segue Myles, I'm really loving hearing your reactions to the albums! Takes me back to when I heard them for the first time. I was fortunate enough to hear most of them shortly after release- since A Farewell To Kings, anyway. They all sound as fresh to me now as they did at first listen!
  • Like 1

I am annoyed there are no newer bands for me to get excited about and follow! Their is Lacuna Coil and Alter Bridge, but they aren't new...so rather than grow with Rush I'm having to take it all in in one go! But over the last two and a half years I've discovered a host of old school rock bands, and Rush are the most unusual band I have ever come across! Nothing is ever fashionable with Rush, and yet it always seems so bang on trend! And I used to believe prog was a dirty word...

And I still find it hard to believe the same band, with the same lineup, could have made an album like Caress Of Steel and also Power Windows. What other band can claim to be so versatile? And I think the last twenty years has seen a lot of awesome Rush albums, if this box set is to be believed. I am playing Test For Echo right now, and it is really unusual. I do feel relieved I'm now up to date, its been frustrating not owning or knowing loads of the albums! It did take me ages to get accustomed to the sounds of seventies-era Rush, and once i did grow o love it, the synth era came along and completely puzzled and frustrated me. Now I am sort of into that era, the return in the 90's to more traditional rock has solidified them as one of my favourite bands! I've tried to keep my collection chronological, with a couple of exceptions, so that I do not completely get lost...but the transformation from the synth-era to albums like CP and T4E has impressed me more than even Clockwork Angels overwhelming greatness 40 years (roughly) into their careers. They progress without ever reverting back, or doing a complete 180 and shocking us completely. Their evolution is surprisingly fluid, with the odd frustrating release (I think we all have our own opinions on which ones these are hehehe!).

Is their anything left for this band to do? Coz as soon as I get bored with one album, I have choice of another 19 albums, all unique, to choose from!

• Like 4

Yay my box set arrived!

A bit bare bones but hey! It was cheap...so looking forward to catching up with EVERYTHING!

Dunno why, but I am really looking forward to Counterparts and Vapor Trails.

They're the two best albums of that box set also, you must be psychic.

I must be! Roll The Bones is the only album in the box set I might label using "adequate". The tie track is decent, and a few others stand out, but its the most dated sounding Rush album production wise that I can think of!

I must be! Roll The Bones is the only album in the box set I might label using "adequate". The tie track is decent, and a few others stand out, but its the most dated sounding Rush album production wise that I can think of!

The production doesn't do justice to the songs, and most of the songs aren't all that good to begin with. Not Rush's finest work...

More dated than Presto or Hold Your Fire? Very strange to hear.

• Like 1

My only real 'WTF??' moment in listening to the Rush catalog came when I first bought 'Roll the Bones' and heard the rap part. It wasn't in a good way, either, because I like the song but the rap parts disembowel it. Criiinge.

But hey, that's just me :) More power to those that dig it.

On the whole, I like the album itself for the most part. The production on 'Presto' and RTB were both a little light in the pocket.

More dated than Presto or Hold Your Fire? Very strange to hear.

A few listens later, I think I might retract that comment! But the title track sounds dated to very much the early 90's, and I am thinking pop music, which grates slightly! But the song itself is a beauty, including the rather odd Geddy Lee rap!

I really think I prefer the 90's era to the post-MP 80's releases. Some fantastic music and very listenable albums!

In the minority of hardcore fans, yes. Sales, radio play, crowd reactions, and experience makes me believe that casuals and non-fans agree with me.

if you're using crowd reactions to support your argument, you could easily make the case that rush hasn't made anything good since 1982!

I really don't care. Counterparts is an amazing album so whatever. Each to their own. We all can agree to disagree, coz I prefer CP to Signals.

Go on. Eat me.