Which studio album should I get next?

Counterpwnt

All The World...right...that will my next purchase methinks!

Buckle your seat belt cause you're going for a sweet ride............. :haz: :rush:

Is it really worth getting over all the albums from HYF through to FB? I am intrigued...I'm hoping to save enough money for the new boxset plus HYF but am holding back coz I am a bit strapped fo cash and need to choose carefully...

Just my opinion....... I have made no secret of the fact that I really don't care for their post 85' to at least Vapor Trails period. I may the wrong person to ask. All I know is "All The World's A Stage" represents my favorite band, at their best, just reaching their prime. It is live and sounds raw and untouched. My first album purchase when I was 16 and still the best album purchase I have made in my life. It will take you back to what it might have been like for an old - timer like me to experience them live way back in the day.......... :codger: :haz:

I would say A Farewell to Kings (which I frankly think is overrated around here, but it's essential) .

AFTK is not overrated whatsoever. It's got Xanadu, Cygnus X1, Closer To The Heart and the title track. Definitely worth the price of admission, and happens to be my second favorite album behind MP.

edited to say yes ATWAS is also a must have.

Edited by Rushman14
  • Like 2

Buckle your seat belt cause you're going for a sweet ride............. :haz: :rush:

Is it really worth getting over all the albums from HYF through to FB? I am intrigued...I'm hoping to save enough money for the new boxset plus HYF but am holding back coz I am a bit strapped fo cash and need to choose carefully...

Just my opinion....... I have made no secret of the fact that I really don't care for their post 85' to at least Vapor Trails period. I may the wrong person to ask. All I know is "All The World's A Stage" represents my favorite band, at their best, just reaching their prime. It is live and sounds raw and untouched. My first album purchase when I was 16 and still the best album purchase I have made in my life. It will take you back to what it might have been like for an old - timer like me to experience them live way back in the day.......... :codger: :haz:

I would say A Farewell to Kings (which I frankly think is overrated around here, but it's essential) .

AFTK is not overrated whatsoever. It's got Xanadu, Cygnus X1, Closer To The Heart and the title track. Definitely worth the price of admission, and happens to be my second favorite album behind MP.

Cygnus X-I is not a positive in my view. Xanadu and Cinderella Man are my two favorite songs on the album. Closer for some reason blew up with Exit . . . Stage Left. I like it, but it's not one of my favorite songs by them. Never understood why it was the song they chose to repeat on A Show of Hands.

• Like 1

You're only missing a few, and as others have already said, the greatest one you didn't list in the original post is A Farewell to Kings. Next would be Counterparts, in my opinion.

Test for Echo and Snakes & Arrows... eh, they can wait.

Cygnus X-I is not a positive in my view.

I'm guessing you weren't a 15 year old kid when the album was released.

Songs about black holes rule when you're 15 :)

• Like 2

Cygnus X-I is not a positive in my view.

I'm guessing you weren't a 15 year old kid when the album was released.

Songs about black holes rule when you're 15 :)

Just shy of my 10th birthday. But I didn't buy it until I was probably 14 or 15.

In this order, A farewell to kings, Test for Echo, Counterparts, Snakes and Arrows, Feedback

O my days! I just found Hold Your Fire for a quid on vinyl in a charity shop! Woooop! Good quality too!
  • Like 1

O my days! I just found Hold Your Fire for a quid on vinyl in a charity shop! Woooop! Good quality too!

I am not sure how much a quid is, but you may have gotten screwed.............. I guess it's worth having since it was for charity........ ;) Edited by Narpet

I would get All the World's a Stage.

But if you're getting one of the 3 studio albums you don't have, I'd rank them:

1. T4E

2. S&A

3. CP

It's really hard to give advice on these comparing them to other records you may like as CP and T4E are most often compared to each other, and S&A is different than anything else.

I'll just say that CP is by far Rush's worst album, in my opinion. However, for the hardcore Rush fans, they usually like CP a lot. It was a return to a rock sound with some balls to the guitar bits. T4E is very similar in style, but I think the songs are much stronger, and the lyrics are much better (again, this is a minority opinion among the hardcore fans). For S&A, they have 4 excellent songs, and a bunch of mid-tempo snooze-fests. The guitars are way overlayered and the lyrical content gets tedious (and I'm not religious). I do like the mix of acoustic and electric, and the album really sounds different from anything else they've ever done.

I am not sure how much a quid is, but you may have gotten screwed.............. I guess it's worth having since it was for charity........ ;)

That is really cheap.

I am not sure how much a quid is, but you may have gotten screwed.............. I guess it's worth having since it was for charity........ ;)

A quid is slang for £1. And I just played Side A. I was not expecting this: I LOVE IT! Everything I hated about Power Windows is here...only this time around I actually think it sounds great!

Now I am slightly concerned about Tai Shan...have heard a lot of flack, but I will approach it with an open mind!

Not a patch on A Farewell To Kings...but I am very surprised. Perhaps its the low expectations I had that made me like this!

• Like 1

Tai Shan is a very pretty song. I like it very much!

Too much synth...but I like it very much!

• Like 2

I think I'm missing Counterparts, Test For Echo, and Snakes & Arrows. Is Counterparts the one to get next?

YES If you like rock music in general it's a goddamn amazing album. I like it 100% more than AFtK. The songwriting/ singing/production is just better in my opinion (And I Know I'm in the minority for saying that) Test for echo is an album that you put on to hear uplifting/human songs along with a few songs that are great but have a late 90's rock sound to them. Get a few Snakes and Arrows tracks off itunes or something. The album is a clunker on the whole.

Since he's said he has AFTK already, I'll add my vote for Snakes and Arrows. I definitely prefer it over what's left that he doesn't have (for studio albums).

SnA over CP? really? I would understand saying it about TFE as they are similarly uneven albums, but Counterparts has such a great theme running throughout, has the best production until the VT remix and has the best songs of Rush made in the 90's. While a couple of tracks in the middle slow things down I admit, I honestly consider this their Moving Pictures of the 90's

I hope this isn't a jab at Hold Your Fire. It's a quality synth pop record. Might not be as good as Power Windows but it's still worth owning.

Edited by Czarcasm

A quid is slang for £1. And I just played Side A. I was not expecting this: I LOVE IT! Everything I hated about Power Windows is here...only this time around I actually think it sounds great!

Now I am slightly concerned about Tai Shan...have heard a lot of flack, but I will approach it with an open mind!

Not a patch on A Farewell To Kings...but I am very surprised. Perhaps its the low expectations I had that made me like this!

HYF is actually an amazing record if you're in the mood/mindset for it. It lacks the punch PW brought in every song and Alex has even less of a role but it is still a more consistent and better written album than Presto or even Roll the Bones.

Since he's said he has AFTK already, I'll add my vote for Snakes and Arrows. I definitely prefer it over what's left that he doesn't have (for studio albums).

SnA over CP? really? I would understand saying it about TFE as they are similarly uneven albums, but Counterparts has such a great theme running throughout, has the best production until the VT remix and has the best songs of Rush made in the 90's. While a couple of tracks in the middle slow things down I admit, I honestly consider this their Moving Pictures of the 90's

Music is art, and art is subjective :)

I think it's great you love CP so much, it just doesn't 'reach' me in a meaningful way.

I do share your opinions on HYF though...I've always had a soft spot for that album. It's really anchored for me by "Time Stands Still", one of my all-time favorite Rush songs, and I do enjoy nearly the whole record very much. It's pretty unique in the Rush catalog.

Can't wait to complete my Rush collection with the Studio Album box set!

Every album from Presto through to SaA. I only own one of those (Snakes and Arrows) so I look forward to hearing the rest!

One, two buckle...

• Like 2

Oh I forgot to order that!

Will make it my NEXT rush purchase. I keep meaning to get it!

One, two buckle...

Oh yeah! What a show, what a show man oh man................................... :haz: