The Honor a Veteran You Know Thread

goose

I wanna honor Mr. Carry Voss. He was a platoon Sargent in the Viet Nam war. He's dead now but he told me stories about the war that made me wonder why he's still alive. If you could've heard those stories, you'd wonder the same thing. The bombs, the bullets, the choppers, the fire!!!! WOW!!!! This one goes out to Mr. Carry Voss! A past dear friend of mine and guy I just admired for who he was and what he did. RIP Mr. Carry Voss! I'll ALWAYS miss you..... (1 shot 1 kill)
  • Like 4

My two grandads, who joined the Royal Navy and survived WWI.

My uncle Jeremiah, one of the first casualties, and quite possibly the first Irish casualty of WWI, on board HMS Amphion, August 5 1914.

My various cousins who fought in WWII, in most theatres.

My dear Uncle Con, who we said goodbye to two weeks ago aged 90. He joined the RN in 1939, he was a gunner on board the aircraft carrier Illustrious for the entire war. It was said at his eulogy that he was selfless, brave & and when at his post he always carried his rosary beads. He fought in the Med, Atlantic & Pacific. He was, by all accounts, a true leader of men, and ended up as Lieutenant-Commander. A remarkable man.

And then, there are my various grand-uncles who fought the British during the Irish War of Independence, 1919-21.

Bit of a mad family, to be honest.

But to them all, my love & admiration & thanks.

• Like 6

My dad. Lifer. Sailed the seven seas. Crossed the equator many times. Bay of Pigs. Vietnam. Silver Star. Purple heart. Though I'm 4 inches taller, I still look up to him.

He raised his boys with firm discipline. Showed us what fairplay means, and sportsmanship looks like. Sometimes a friend, always a father, sailor through and through.

Edited by Tombstone Mountain
  • Like 8

Various cousins, Uncles, and my Dad have served in the Army, Air Force, Marines, and Navy.

I have two nephews currently serving, 1 in the Navy, 1 in the Army National Guard.

I'm proud of all of them!

And also a bunch of friends who are either former Navy, or Air Force vets.

Edited by nettiesaur
  • Like 3

Various cousins, Uncles, and my Dad have served in the Army, Air Force, Marines, and Navy.

I have two nephews currently serving, 1 in the Navy, 1 in the Army National Guard.

I'm proud of all of them!

And also a bunch of friends who are either former Navy, or Air Force vets.

Awesome! Thanks to you for posting! :goodone:

For those saying to themselves, "I don't know any veterans...". They are all around you. Find out who they are...and thank them. It's the least we can do, and it means a lot to them.
  • Like 3

Mine too Babycat.

I'll also give a thanks and get well soon to my wife's grandfather Fred, who can't stand the smell of pineapples even today from the time he spent in the Pacific theater.

:hug2: to your wife's grandfather. :)

• Like 2

Thank you to my father, who served in Korea, and my uncle who served in the Mediterranean.

Also, a very close friend lost her son in Afghanistan 4 weeks ago, so thank you for your ultimate sacrifice.

• Like 3

Thank you to my father, who served in Korea, and my uncle who served in the Mediterranean.

Also, a very close friend lost her son in Afghanistan 4 weeks ago, so thank you for your ultimate sacrifice.

:rose: http://www.taps.org/uploadedImages/TAPS/IMAGES/PUBS_PRESS/MAGAZINES/salute.png?n=9755

• Like 4

My Dad spent 32 years in the Illinois Air National Guard, 27 of which were full time. My father ran the motor pool for the 264th Combat Communications Squadron.

Thank you Senior Master Sargent ILSnwdog Sr. :notworthy:

• Like 5

To my grandfather who served in WWII and my dad who served in Vietnam, may they both rest in peace. Both of them made it out of the wars and I am so grateful I had them in my life.

To my husband's colleagues who have served.

To two of my husband's students who paid the ultimate sacrifice.

Thinking of all of them today. All who do not receive the recognition and respect they have earned and deserve.

• Like 5

There are more... some guy I know named Jim.... a guy I coach with still serves in the Naval reserves.... a few guys I work with, one I'm pretty good friends with.

Thanks fellas, and all those out there that I have not had personal contact with.

Thank you all for doing a job that puts your life on the line, sometimes for reasons you don't understand or even agree with.

• Like 2

My dad flew B-29's in the Korean conflict. He's dead now and didn't want me to say anything about it but I can't resist. (LONG STORY!!!!!!) This one goes out to YOU dad!! I loved the stories you told me and I'll pass them along to my Son who I named after YOU, RIP dad!!!! I'll always miss you!!!! I watched you take your last breath.....
  • Like 3

My dad flew B-29's in the Korean conflict. He's dead now and didn't want me to say anything about it but I can't resist. (LONG STORY!!!!!!) This one goes out to YOU dad!! I loved the stories you told me and I'll pass them along to my Son who I named after YOU, RIP dad!!!! I'll always miss you!!!! I watched you take your last breath.....

Great post. Sounds like your dad was a great father and a good soldier. http://www.motherjones.com/files/images/marines-three-volley-salute.jpg

Edited by goose

Great post. Sounds like your dad was a great father and a good soldier. http://www.motherjones.com/files/images/marines-three-volley-salute.jpg

Thank you goose! Dad was very quiet about his missions. He didn't want people to know about what he was ordered to do. That's where the he didn't want me to say anything about it part comes in. What pilot wants to talk about killing people that is not face to face, kinda thing... I guess? Even though he's dead now, I had to say (at least) something about it. He dropped many bombs and killed many people although he was ORDERED to do it! WAR IS HELL!!!! (he used to tell me) I fly planes myself with my kids for pleasure. I fly a modified Cessna 172 with an instructor who owns the plane.... whatever....thanks dude!

• Like 2

Thanks for starting this thread, Brother Goose, and for everyone who's contributed! Salute! I wish to honor my Dad, US Air Force, 1959-1963. His Dad, My Dear grandfather, who served with the US Marines at Guadalcanal and Iwo Jima! My Mom's Dad, who served with the US Air Force, including a tour in Korea (I still have his Korea Service Medal) and retired as a Chief Master Sergeant. My Uncle Jodie, who was killed in action in Viet Nam. My Dear Brother who embarked on a career in the US Coast Guard in 1990 and still serves today and is currently stationed at Coast Guard Headquarters as a Chief Warrant Officer and is in charge of Coast Guard Law Enforcement policy servicewide! My Dear Father In Law (my second dad, really, see, he always wanted a son but had only daughters. so I did my best to be a son to him and we really got along incredibly well and had so much in common.) A Retired US Army Sergeant Major, Special Forces Operator with two tours in Viet Nam, a Founding Member of Delta Force(!), a Sniper Instructor, and Co-Founder of the US Army's SERE (Survival, Escape, Resistance, Evasion) School with Colonel Nick Rowe, a former POW in Viet Nam who actually escaped captivity! My Dearest and oldest friend, Bill Herrmann, who served with distinction as a "Tunnel Rat" in Viet Nam, and my other Dear Friend Gerard "Jerry" Ziegler, a retired Army Sergeant Major. Brother Warriors, All! SALUTE!
  • Like 4