What Do You Think Rush Should Do on Their Next Tour

agubrizbassman

Leave Suggestions, For me i think they should bring back songs that they haven't played in a while, or just songs that they never played... I also think Geddy could bring back the Ric and the Wal... So leave anything you would like to see
  • Like 1

You covered it! Play songs they've never played live, PeW in its Entirety, lots of instumentals and the Entire Fear Quadrilogy. Basically this:

Set 1:

R42 Instrumedley (Finding My Way, By-Tor & The Snowdog, The Necomancer, a Passage to Bagkok, Cygnus X-1, Hemispheres-Prelude)

Limelight

Caravan

Cut to the Chase

Where's My Thing?

Leave that Thing Alone.

Limbo

Chain Lightning

Clockwork Angels

2112 O/T/F

Set 2:

The Spirit of Radio

Freewill

Jacob's Ladder

Entre Nous

Different String (Extended Solo)

Natural Science

Main Monkey Business

The Enemy Within

The Weapon

Witch Hunt

Freeze

YYZ/ Drum Solo/ Didacts & Narpits

Hope/ Mal-Nar

Headlong Flight

Encore:

Far Cry

Tom Sawyer

La Villa Strangiatto

:codger:

Edited by losingit2k
  • Like 1

Leave Suggestions, For me i think they should bring back songs that they haven't played in a while, or just songs that they never played... I also think Geddy could bring back the Ric and the Wal... So leave anything you would like to see

I'd like to see the RIc more but since Alex is saying that Geddy is buying up a multitude of old Fenders I kind of doubt it. Would love to hear it though. I figure they'll probably just do more of the same stuff they've been doing. They really don't change up the basic format much from tour to tour. The backgrounds and some of the songs change.

Just my thoughts...Guessing that they will probably abandon the string section on the next tour, and that this MAY be the last time they go out...

I think they should do the medley thing again, the R30 to open it up like they did on that tour and the R40 to open up the second half of the show. (with riffs only, not vocals to give Geddy a break) I'd also love to see them finally pull Jacob's Ladder back out...however, they COULD open up the show with the R30, go into Spirit of Radio, and then do the WHOLE Permanent Waves album...hit a few things and then take their first break.

I just think that since this is probably headed to the "End Game" they should do a few things that they haven't done in a while, or ever...

Tough to say...their practice seems to have been changing up a lot of stuff each tour-set so it will be interesting to say the least!

HEMISPHERES!

All the World's a Stage setlist.

There, I said it!

I'd cry like a baby the whole show if they did either in their entirety!

Or if they did something crazy like Yes did their recent tour and play THREE whole albums!

How about:

AFTK, Hemispheres, and Permanent Waves, with Tom Sawyer as the encore!

• Like 1

More instrumentals and more instrumental versions of older songs. Our buddy Losingit2k's old idea about an "instrumental" tour is along the right lines, but they don't need to play ALL of their instrumentals (sorry Limbo) but most of them would be cool. Where's My Thing was great this tour. Add an instrumental rendition of a song like Xanadu or something really rare (Fly By Night? Before and After?) and you have the potential for something really cool.

Another thing that I would like to see is an atmospheric jam between Geddy and Al. Sort of an expansion of Alex's solo from this tour with Geddy joining in on bass.

No more entire albums live. Moving Pictures live was a one off. Moving Pictures is special. The songs are perfect and their sequencing is perfect. No other Rush album (not even Permanent Waves :wub: ) would ever work nearly as well in that format. I love Clockwork Angels and I loved it's involvement in the show, but you could sense the audience's lack of interest by the time The Garden rolled around. Casual fans just weren't into it.

Mainly though, if this is the last go around, variety is key. They should play as much material as possible from as many different eras as possible.

EDIT: I almost forgot, the 1993-2007 period was grossly underrepresented on this tour. One or 2 songs from Counterparts or Vapor Trails would be nice.

Edited by Dscrapre
  • Like 3

OK -- I feel that the next tour WILL be RUSH's last tour. That being said, I would love to see RUSH go back to a more "Rock" stage setup:

Get rid of the stage props - Ugh!

Bring back the Amps on both Alex's and Ged's side. AMPS! Not referigerators! Another Ugh!

Bring back the large amounts of keyboards where Geddy can actually PLAY the parts instead of sampled parts.

Bring back the Taurus Pedals.

Neil - Bring back the Tama's or Ludwigs! Your drum sound has suffered badly since switching to DW's.

The apperance of the Rick would be nice.

More of the same. Adventurous, heavy on the 80s and exploring stuff they haven't done live or haven't done much.

A set like this.

Countdown

The fear quad

Roll the bones

Show don't tell

Clockwork

Anarchist

Carnies

Prime mover

Chemistry

Jacobs ladder

---

One little victory

The percussor

Emotion detector

Open secrets

Cygnus x-1 book 2

Red barchetta

Natural Science

The camera eye

Distant Early warning

Xanadu

---

YyZ

Closer to the hear

Tom Sawyer

Spirit of radio.

I'm not sure there will be a "next" tour. I think it's plausible to suggest that after having a 10 year second chance, the triumph of clockwork angels (best record since MP), being inducted into the RRHOF, that when they discuss what's next they just might think y'know lets go out on top. if they don't - great, we get another record/tour. If they do call it a day - they've earned it and thanks for the music fellas.

Any real musician will tell you, it's difficult to give up completely, unless you have very good reason, such as health concerns (Bowie), or have had a bad experience (Kate bush).

If Rush were ever going to pack up and never come back, it would have been after Neil's tragedy. Even that couldn't kill this band

These three lads have been performing together for 40 years, and they're on the top of their game, and there's absolutely no reason to think they won't tiur again. Even if they actually said they were retiring after clockwork angels, which they haven't, it would be hard to believe they could just kick the habit of a lifetime, forever.

Let's not forget, either, these lads are making serous coin too, so I wouldn't worry about then retiring until they actually say they are.

Even then, they would probably come back, just like nearly every band who call it a day.

• Like 1

According to all of my Geddycorns out there Alex should wear his shirts unbuttoned and not sling his guitars so low as to cover his camel toe. And Geddy is supposed to just "take it all off". They have not mentioned what kind of theme/songs they would prefer.

Women.

I know that I would like to see Tom Sawyer in an unimportant spot in the set (i.e. not opening/closing one of the sets and not in the encore) I think it would be pretty cool if the first three songs have gone by and Geddy goes up and says hello, and then says "this is a, an older song, we hope you enjoy it, this is Tom Sawyer") I could imagine the crowd going crazy because no one would expect it. Though Ideally I would prefer a Tom Sawyer-free show, that it not realistically going to happen. But then again including it in a medley would be nice. Also I want to see something from Power Windows. I know they just did a bunch last tour, but I need my fix each tour (thank god the snakes and arrows tour was not my first show). If it truly is their last tour, then I can see them playing Marathon and/or Mystic Rhythms in full (because appropriate and a song they really enjoy respectively) as well as possibly including The Big Money in a medley (Though I am hoping beyond belief that its played in full) (perhaps this alleged final tour will have a hits medley so that they can still squeeze in a few treasures in the tour). Stage wise, I would love to see it comprised of various images from their albums, a giant light up Rush sign, red star framing the stage, the Screen can be a Power Windows TV etc. and I want live lobsters behind Geddy next tour (which I am hoping is not their last). I really don't think they will have a full last tour, unless they know there will be absolutely no way they will be able to play again after it. They will definitely have a final show though (unless something sudden happens that prevents that).

How about at least two days off in between shows?

If you want that, be prepaired to pay more for tickets. It's not cheap paying crew, trucks, buses, and equipment to basically stand around for what would probably work out to at least an additional month of days out there.

The thing that will make RUSH call it quits is Geddy's voice. Geddy's voice is really starting to show its age so I don't hink he will be singing rock songs come 64 or 65 etc..... One more tour is max the way i see it.

I disagree. Geddy's voice sounded great last tour. Since changing his diet about 2 years ago, he's only gotten better, IMO. NEIL will ultimately be the one to end their run. It will either be because he's just had enough of being on the road OR (the more likely scenerio, IMO) once he feels that he can no longer perform at the level he requires of himself. The guy is a perfectionist. When he starts missing a beat here & a little fill there, he'll call it quits. Unlike guitar, bass, or keyboards, it's not easy to pull off using drum samples live.

What should they do next tour? It doesn't really matter to me. They always put on a great show.

Edited by FOH Lights
  • Like 3

Any real musician will tell you, it's difficult to give up completely, unless you have very good reason, such as health concerns (Bowie), or have had a bad experience (Kate bush).

If Rush were ever going to pack up and never come back, it would have been after Neil's tragedy. Even that couldn't kill this band

These three lads have been performing together for 40 years, and they're on the top of their game, and there's absolutely no reason to think they won't tiur again. Even if they actually said they were retiring after clockwork angels, which they haven't, it would be hard to believe they could just kick the habit of a lifetime, forever.

Let's not forget, either, these lads are making serous coin too, so I wouldn't worry about then retiring until they actually say they are.

Even then, they would probably come back, just like nearly every band who call it a day.

This.

People always laugh at Kiss or The Who for their never ending Farewell Tours... The fact is, NO musician can ever stop being a musician... (Tell that to Paul McCartney!) It's not like working at some lame office job where they will replace you at 65 with the young aspiring 20 year old just out of college and where you count the days until you get out of that place. Being a musician is what musicians do. It's their whole life, the essence of their whole existence... Sure, one day Geddy may feel like he's had enough, and say "screw it!"... But wait... Since being a musician also means being an emotional person, more than regular people, maybe after 6 months time, or 6 years, or whatever, he might see some cool bass, and start playing some cool riffs on it and go: "Wait a minute! This is cool!"... I should play this to Alex! And what if Neil says "Screw it, I'm done!" Maybe Geddy & Al will (should) say, "Well, too bad for you, we STILL feel like writing and recording, and doing some shows, so we'll just look elsewhere!--Say Hi to that Cactus no one cares about when you drive by it!"... Remember what Geddy did when Neil was unavailable??? Ah yes, he recorded an album "all by his own self"... I'm still sad he never toured on it... Do you honestly think if Neil had stayed "crazy" and never gotten back with the band that Geddy and Al would only see each other for Saturday night BBQs, one week at Geddy's, and one week at Alex's??... I'm pretty certain we would have had some sort of new incarnation of Rush.... Remember, Ged & Al have spent nearly all their lives together... They're like an old married couple.... Like it or not, Neil is still kinda the "Third Wheel"... Ged & Al (Or each on their own) all have their home recording studios, and can make music every second of every day without anyones' help.....

Edited by Supersyl
  • Like 2

Do you honestly think if Neil had stayed "crazy" and never gotten back with the band that Geddy and Al would only see each other for Saturday night BBQs, one week at Geddy's, and one week at Alex's??... I'm pretty certain we would have had some sort of new incarnation of Rush.... Remember, Ged & Al have spent nearly all their lives together... They're like an old married couple.... Like it or not, Neil is still kinda the "Third Wheel"... Ged & Al (Or each on their own) all have their home recording studios, and can make music every second of every day without anyones' help.....

It's a pretty good bet that Geddy & Alex will probably always want to write/record. However, without Neil, they would NEVER reincarnate as Rush. It's true that Neil may still be considered the odd man out between them, but he's an integral and absolutely necessary member. When Neil is done, so will be Rush.

• Like 5

Do you honestly think if Neil had stayed "crazy" and never gotten back with the band that Geddy and Al would only see each other for Saturday night BBQs, one week at Geddy's, and one week at Alex's??... I'm pretty certain we would have had some sort of new incarnation of Rush.... Remember, Ged & Al have spent nearly all their lives together... They're like an old married couple.... Like it or not, Neil is still kinda the "Third Wheel"... Ged & Al (Or each on their own) all have their home recording studios, and can make music every second of every day without anyones' help.....

It's a pretty good bet that Geddy & Alex will probably always want to write/record. However, without Neil, they would NEVER reincarnate as Rush. It's true that Neil may still be considered the odd man out between them, but he's an integral and absolutely necessary member. When Neil is done, so will be Rush.

Of course, he is... I'm not saying anything to the contrary... I'm just saying, that if Neil was the one to call it quits, like most people always suppose, maybe Ged & Al would still want to continue on... Of course it would be different... But then again, maybe if Neil called it quits, maybe after a few years HE would be the one calling up Ged & Al.... After all, HE is the one who made the first steps towards getting the band back together 12 years ago.... But that's just my point.... They probably won't even know themselves.... Someone mentioned Geddy's voice.... Look at Paul McCartney... He couldn't sing any of the songs correctly if his life depended on it... (Live And Let Die has become particularly painful to hear)... But Hey.... It's Paul McCartney. He's still playing, still touring, still writing, still recording, and people STILL want to see him.... He can't sing the song anymore?? Who cares, we'll sing it for him! As for health... I was reading some annoying Rolling Stone interview with Ginger Baker the other week... That bitter old fart is falling apart, yet he's still playing.... I saw April Wine back in 2001, they had to literally LIFT Johnny Mercer out of his drumkit after the show was done.... Everyone is different, I guess.....

• Like 1

I think if they did an entirely instrumental album it would be awesome. It's something they've never done before. I just kind of depends on whether Geddy's ego would let it happen.

This.

People always laugh at Kiss or The Who for their never ending Farewell Tours... The fact is, NO musician can ever stop being a musician... (Tell that to Paul McCartney!) It's not like working at some lame office job where they will replace you at 65 with the young aspiring 20 year old just out of college and where you count the days until you get out of that place. Being a musician is what musicians do. It's their whole life, the essence of their whole existence... Sure, one day Geddy may feel like he's had enough, and say "screw it!"... But wait... Since being a musician also means being an emotional person, more than regular people, maybe after 6 months time, or 6 years, or whatever, he might see some cool bass, and start playing some cool riffs on it and go: "Wait a minute! This is cool!"... I should play this to Alex! And what if Neil says "Screw it, I'm done!" Maybe Geddy & Al will (should) say, "Well, too bad for you, we STILL feel like writing and recording, and doing some shows, so we'll just look elsewhere!--Say Hi to that Cactus no one cares about when you drive by it!"... Remember what Geddy did when Neil was unavailable??? Ah yes, he recorded an album "all by his own self"... I'm still sad he never toured on it... Do you honestly think if Neil had stayed "crazy" and never gotten back with the band that Geddy and Al would only see each other for Saturday night BBQs, one week at Geddy's, and one week at Alex's??... I'm pretty certain we would have had some sort of new incarnation of Rush.... Remember, Ged & Al have spent nearly all their lives together... They're like an old married couple.... Like it or not, Neil is still kinda the "Third Wheel"... Ged & Al (Or each on their own) all have their home recording studios, and can make music every second of every day without anyones' help.....

Here'a a little something related that I just read in a new interview with Alex!!

"Typically get a little bored, and so we enjoy writing and working together and I wouldn't doubt that some time in the new year we'll probably gravitate towards each other and start doing some writing" :)

• Like 1