Gorillaz - Any love for them around here?

Akron162

Believe it or not im quite a fan of Gorillaz. Not that much because of their music, but because of the concept of a virtual band itself and all the story and imaginery behind it.

Yes, its weird even for me, being the musical elitist that i am, that i like a band not for its technical prowess, but because everything else around it. The characters, the animations, the story constructed around the whole idea of the band is pretty damn cool. Maybe is just because im a fan of good animation and storytelling in general, but anyway, their music is not half bad either.

So, any love for them around here?

:D Nothing personal but, being the old fart that I am, you'll have to excuse me whilst I goggle them or it.................... :codger:

Love them.

Musical elitist????

What, that expression doesnt exist or something?

No. I find the expression unfortunate regardless of whether it's true or not.

The notion of them being a virtual band is a nonsense. A marketing gambit, at best. Yes,the videos are animated, but the 2 times I saw them, flesh & blood & expensive tshirts. Like everyone else.

Love them.

Musical elitist????

The notion of them being a virtual band is a nonsense. A marketing gambit, at best. Yes,the videos are animated, but the 2 times I saw them, flesh & blood & expensive tshirts. Like everyone else.

Well, as far as i know, Damon Albarn had his reasons to create them, and of course he makes money out of it. I guess he is not much different from a writter or a movie producer or director in that regard. Anyway, call it what you want, i just like the whole mystic around them.

As for the elitist thing, yes i know i have some frown upon positions in regards of music, but at least im honest about it.

I remember seeing a music video for some song, no idea what it was about, but I'm sure it had something to do with the characters travelling in a car along this long stretch of road, gunshots, and the dude in the back seat supposedly dying. Or at least that's what I think happened.

Edit to add: I just researched it - it's called Stylo. With Bruce Willis. I think.

Edited by Babycat
  • Like 1

Love them.

Musical elitist????

Well, as far as i know, Damon Albarn had his reasons to create them, and of course he makes money out of it. I guess he is not much different from a writter or a movie producer or director in that regard. Anyway, call it what you want, i just like the whole mystic around them.

As for the elitist thing, yes i know i have some frown upon positions in regards of music, but at least im honest about it.

Aren't we all honest about our musical likes and dislikes? Maybe it's a question of delivery.

Edited by Hatchetaxe&saw

Love them.

Musical elitist????

Aren't we all honest about our musical likes and dislikes? Maybe it's a question of delivery.

I think you are giving too much thought to this.

Love them.

Musical elitist????

I think you are giving too much thought to this.

You may think that, but you would be wrong.

I love them!!!! "Stylo" "Feel Good Inc." "Dare", "Superfast Jellyfish" "On Monchely Hill" "Empire Ants" and others songs are the best ever!!!!!!!

Demon Days is one of my favorite albums. The album before and after I don't care for so much, but still love Demon Days.

Yes, I did a search on here for this band! I always liked their singles and I'm starting to really get into them. I've always been a fan of Jamie's work and always been a fan of Blur. We got the Power is a great song.
  • Like 1

Yes, I did a search on here for this band! I always liked their singles and I'm starting to really get into them. I've always been a fan of Jamie's work and always been a fan of Blur. We got the Power is a great song.

I think I'd like them a lot if they were a little bit more death metal/black metal orientated, with a look like they were dug up from an primeval swamp, otherwise I like them fine. :hail:

• Like 1

I think I'd like them a lot if they were a little bit more death metal/black metal orientated, with a look like they were dug up from an primeval swamp, otherwise I like them fine. :hail:

:P You are awesome!

• Like 1

:P You are awesome!

;)

I've seen the complaint frequently that they are a marketing gimmick.

That's an odd complaint, because what they do is the following: create art, hope it sells.

The songs are interesting, lyrics are interesting, artwork is interesting, videos are interesting.

So they made art.

It sold.

Sounds to me like they are much like any other artist.

Sure they were already established performers, but it's not like Blur wasn't authentic, and Jamie Hewlitt is authentic.

So not only do I like them, I disagree that they're just a trick.

A lot of artists have gimmicks, but if the gimmick is artistic and it entertains, then that's exactly what people are expecting and what they're paying for.

• Like 3

I would acuse them of gimmickry if the music wasn't consistently enjoyable, the videos breathtaking and the entire concept and packaging wasn't first and foremost some of the best I have ever seen!

I love this band. I remember growing up with them and I am eager to play some more now!

• Like 2

I've seen the complaint frequently that they are a marketing gimmick.

That's an odd complaint, because what they do is the following: create art, hope it sells.

The songs are interesting, lyrics are interesting, artwork is interesting, videos are interesting.

So they made art.

It sold.

Sounds to me like they are much like any other artist.

Sure they were already established performers, but it's not like Blur wasn't authentic, and Jamie Hewlitt is authentic.

So not only do I like them, I disagree that they're just a trick.

A lot of artists have gimmicks, but if the gimmick is artistic and it entertains, then that's exactly what people are expecting and what they're paying for.

:goodone: