Name one band that has created an album as good as Clockwork Angels 40 years into their career

losingit2k

HEART - Fanatic......?????? Nope

JUDAS PRIEST - nope

Has it been 15 years yet so the next BOSTON album can appear?

What's with all the ??? for Fanatic. You might not agree but the critics sure do. Same exact score as Clockwork Angels on Metacritic.

That's why I don't go by what the Critics say. I have Fanatic, and I can honestly say its a good album but no where near Clockwork Angels. However there are a few tracks on the album I just love: A Million Miles, Pennsylvania and the title track. Other than that the album sounds and feels disorganized concerning its writing. Now I really wanted this album to be better since it has Ben Mink's hands all over it but it just didn't cut it :finbar: . I'm glad you are enjoying it though! :cool:

I don't think it's Quite as good as Clockwork, but the best Heart has done in a long time. Obviously many people agree with me. You listed some great songs but I would put Mashalla, Zingara, Corduroy Road, and Rock Deep right there.

I would agree on Mashalla, its has a nice hard edge to it , but the rest just felt disorganized to me. Now I understand its just a personal taste but I like the organization of the CA songs much more. Take Rock Deep, I like the beginning of the song then it just goes somewhere else and looses its attraction. Mashalla does the same thing but the harder rock groove is a bit more enjoyable. They had somne really good moments that weren't focused on. The writing jumps around to much for me. It doesn't sound coheasive or focused.

Couldn't disagree more but that's why music is subjective. The amazing chorus and fadeout of Rock Deep is my fav part. Nancy's backup vocals on the chorus are sublime. I think you judge record more on arrangement and instrumentation where I focus more on accessibility and overall mood. The choruses in some of the songs of CA is it's only weakness IMO. Some of the choruses don't flow quite as well as some of Rush's landmark records.

You are 100% right. Arrangement is a bif part of my focus as is Instrumentation and flow. I also agree that Ann's voice has never sounded better. I don't know how she does it. Geddy could takes some pointers from her. :codger: Edited by losingit2k

Miles Davis- Bitches Brew

Black Sabbath- 13 (I'm not a fan...but people raved about it like it was still 1970)

Bruce Springsteen- Wrecking Ball

Black Sabbath 13 is a pile of camel poo...awful dirges

:no:

13 is a solid album. Is it Paranoid? No. Is it Sabbath Bloody Sabbath? No. But it's better than anything Ozzy has recorded since at latest Bark at the Moon, and it's the best Black Sabbath album since Mob Rules.

• Like 1

Black Sabbath- 13 (I'm not a fan...but people raved about it like it was still 1970)

13 is a solid album. Is it Paranoid? No. Is it Sabbath Bloody Sabbath? No. But it's better than anything Ozzy has recorded since at latest Bark at the Moon, and it's the best Black Sabbath album since Mob Rules.

The album is produced well...sounds decent. I just can't get into the songs. There was only one that I enjoyed. Gotta admit that Ozzy was introduced to me after his Sabbath days. I prefer Sabbath with Dio—good stuff.
  • Like 1

Actually, McCartney's Memory Almost Full is a fantastic album, as is New. Both of those were released more than 40 years after McCartney's career started.

I was going to mention New because it's fantastic, but I didn't think LI2K would accept that answer. :P

The album is produced well...sounds decent. I just can't get into the songs. There was only one that I enjoyed. Gotta admit that Ozzy was introduced to me after his Sabbath days. I prefer Sabbath with Dio—good stuff.

My two favorite Sabbath albums are Heaven and Hell and Mob Rules.

I would say:

The Eagles - Hotel California

Paul Simon - Greatest Hits (Shining Like A National Guitar), Graceland

Steely Dan - Aja

The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Axis : Bold As Love

The Beatles - Hard Day's Night, Revolver, Help

Paul Mccartney - Wings Over America, Band On The Run

Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon

Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin II

Simon and Garfunkel - Bridge Over Troubled Water

Foreigner - 4, Foreigner, Double Vision

Iron Butterfly - In a gadda da vida

The bold underlined ones are the major albums (the really good ones).

All Great albums, but you completely botched the premise of the thread.

Yes, he did. Honest mistake. He DID, however, remind me of Paul Simon's "So Beautiful or So What" which is a great, fairly new album. Don't think that one has been mentioned yet.

Clem

• Like 2

Tough to do...but not many groups created "relevant" albums this far into their career...Someone mentioned Yes...I don't think they've created anything new in the past 20 years that's been decent..I think the last GOOD album Yes put out was the ABWH album...the 90125 stuff was sketchy, and to me doesn't hold up in this day and age..ABWH still sound like classic Yes...not much decent from them after that.

Stones newer stuff is just reaching...nothing really good at all.

The past few Kansas albums have been really bad...AND when they put one out they MIGHT play ONE song off of it, and go back to their "hits"

Steely Dan keeps putting out decent albums, but it's just the style of music they play.

The Who's last new album was pretty bad!

Most other bands that are still touring just play what they've BEEN playing over the years....

So NO, I don't think anyone has put out a good album like that at that stage of their careers!

Edited by Jaminbenb
  • Like 1

Tough to do...but not many groups created "relevant" albums this far into their career...Someone mentioned Yes...I don't think they've created anything new in the past 20 years that's been decent..I think the last GOOD album Yes put out was the ABWH album...the 90125 stuff was sketchy, and to me doesn't hold up in this day and age..ABWH still sound like classic Yes...not much decent from them after that.

Stones newer stuff is just reaching...nothing really good at all.

The past few Kansas albums have been really bad...AND when they put one out they MIGHT play ONE song off of it, and go back to their "hits"

Steely Dan keeps putting out decent albums, but it's just the style of music they play.

The Who's last new album was pretty bad!

Most other bands that are still touring just play what they've BEEN playing over the years....

So NO, I don't think anyone has put out a good album like that at that stage of their careers!

I really think Yes has the potential to pull this off. I just wish they would all get together a write something for the ages............ :codger:

My thoughts:

Allman Brothers - Hittin' The Note - but with Warren, Derek, and Oteil pretty much being the heart of the band now and the fact that a majority of the tunes were written by Warren, it isn't really the same band as back when Dickey and Gregg wrote the songs.

I really like the Phil Lesh - There and Back again album, but will agree that solo shouldn't count.

Black Crowes - Warpaint. Absolutely love this album but it 24 years after founding rather than CA's 34 years.

My opinion is that Clockwork Angels is a great album - not quite a masterpiece. Currently my favorite album since GUP.

My thoughts:

Allman Brothers - Hittin' The Note - but with Warren, Derek, and Oteil pretty much being the heart of the band now and the fact that a majority of the tunes were written by Warren, it isn't really the same band as back when Dickey and Gregg wrote the songs.

I really like the Phil Lesh - There and Back again album, but will agree that solo shouldn't count.

Black Crowes - Warpaint. Absolutely love this album but it 24 years after founding rather than CA's 34 years.

My opinion is that Clockwork Angels is a great album - not quite a masterpiece. Currently my favorite album since GUP.

Try 38 years:)

My thoughts:

Try 38 years:)

My bad. Can't do simple math for some reason. I guess I was thinking 44 years but screwed up (2012-1968). I'll use a calculator next time.

Not Quite 40 years into their status as a group (more like 30), but well into 40 years of the 3/4 of the members career, but Asia released Omega in 2010, which is a pretty awesome album and by far their best work since the original debut, probably because it was Wetton/Howe/Palmer and Downs - the original lineup.

Obviously Howe (Yes), Palmer (ELP) and Wetton ( Uriah Heep, KC) were all well into 40 years of their careers.

Like Yes, Asia has been a revolving door of members, so it is hard to compare either of them to Rush as they have been the same 3 members since FBN.

• Like 1

Not Quite 40 years into their status as a group (more like 30), but well into 40 years of the 3/4 of the members career, but Asia released Omega in 2010, which is a pretty awesome album and by far their best work since the original debut, probably because it was Wetton/Howe/Palmer and Downs - the original lineup.

Obviously Howe (Yes), Palmer (ELP) and Wetton ( Uriah Heep, KC) were all well into 40 years of their careers.

Like Yes, Asia has been a revolving door of members, so it is hard to compare either of them to Rush as they have been the same 3 members since FBN.

If Yes can get the classic lineup together and produce something epic I would certainly count it. Like I said in a post a while back, all the lineup changes are a big turnoff to me.......... :codger:

This lineup that produced this masterpiece would work for me................

http://www.progarchives.com/progressive_rock_discography_covers/105/cover_134112282009.jpg

Edited by Narpet

If Yes can get the classic lineup together and produce something epic I would certainly count it. Like I said in a post a while back, all the lineup changes are a big turnoff to me.......... :codger:

This lineup that produced this masterpiece would work for me................

http://www.progarchives.com/progressive_rock_discography_covers/105/cover_134112282009.jpg

I agree and to me it wouldn't make a difference if it were Bruford or White on the drums.

For me growing up it was always 1) Yes 2) Rush -- although now it has been reversed, as the steadiness, consistency and longevity of Rush has emerged.

IMO, Anderson/Squire/Howe/Wakeman are YES, anything else ever produced under that name is just a step below (except for The Yes Album pre Wakeman).

• Like 1

Looks like all of them have been said, but I'd like to add AC/DC's Black Ice to that list. :finbar: Black Ice is one of their best albums.

EDIT: got the emoticon shortcut wrong.

Edited by USB Connector

13 is Dirgey rubbish

Raising Sand is a major snooze-fest and all covers.

Now What is the only contender, an excellent album.

37 years after his debut, Pat Travers is still putting out excellent music, his 'Can Do' album is right up there with his best imho.

I3 was the number one album in world. Is Pat opening for the puppet show or is it the other way around? ;)

13 is Dirgey rubbish

37 years after his debut, Pat Travers is still putting out excellent music, his 'Can Do' album is right up there with his best imho.

Pat Travers............ I have all his albums up to 1980. Crash and Burn I believe was the last one I bought. It seems like I have all my favorite bands' albums up to about 1980. I don't know what happened in 1980, but that seems to have been modus operandi. Saw them open for AC/DC in 1979 in Baltimore. I listened to all those albums, all the time in my late teens and early 20's. Glad to hear he is still " Putt'in It Straight " so to speak......... :codger:

We'd better search for a band that put out albums steadily for almost 40 years.

Wait till Tom Scholz (the master of patience) enters this thread. :codger:

• Like 1

13 is Dirgey rubbish

I3 was the number one album in world. Is Pat opening for the puppet show or is it the other way around? ;)

So are we going down the "sales = good" path ?

Fish in a barrel time I guess........

• Like 1