Name one band that has created an album as good as Clockwork Angels 40 years into their career

losingit2k

Joe Walsh-----Analog Man------Great album :codger:

Joe may not count under L2K's rules............. We might need a booth review........... :eh:

since Barnstorrm came out in 1972, he's good to go as is anyone else as well.

Edited by losingit2k
  • Like 1

I think a lot of unnecessary discussion could have been avoided if the OP had been worded like this:

"I would like to know if any of you can name any bands that I like other than RUSH who I think have created an album as good as I think Clockwork Angels is, 40 years into their career. And to make it easier for you, here are the suggestions I will agree with..."

Finally someone understands! :codger: As for that suggestion Deep Purple Now What ?!

Joe Walsh-----Analog Man------Great album :codger:

Joe may not count under L2K's rules............. We might need a booth review........... :eh: :codger:

since Barnstorrm came out in 1972, he's good to go as is anyone else as well.

Now, on with the game. If this was baseball the call would stand right or wrong............... :codger:
  • Like 1

Robert Plant (Raising Sand)

Weren't those all covers? Well, minus the one Plant/Page song covered.

Album of the year winning covers.

On route with all those other album of the year that were forgotten the following year. :bump:

If I listen to CA as much as Raising Sand 6 years after release, CA will have stood the test of time.

No! It would have only stood your test of time. See, self-centeredness runs in all of us!

Hmmm. Is self-centeredness a word? Let's pull out the Jack Black's Dictionary of Nessology.

Self-Centeredness: (noun) The belief that only your views are valid and everyone else suffers from dillusions or mass hysteria.

See Losingit2k, GeminiRising79 and LedRush!

I think a lot of unnecessary discussion could have been avoided if the OP had been worded like this:

"I would like to know if any of you can name any bands that I like other than RUSH who I think have created an album as good as I think Clockwork Angels is, 40 years into their career. And to make it easier for you, here are the suggestions I will agree with..."

And, of course, CA was only 38 years into Rush's career by the OP's metrics.

:oops: Um, I was rounding up! Ah....Wayyyy up!

Fine! Since this technicallity has finally been brought to light. We will now except any band or Solo artist that was around 1976 or earlier. But the album in order to qualify must been release between 2012 and 2013. :codger:

Edited by losingit2k

On route with all those other album of the year that were forgotten the following year. :bump:

If I listen to CA as much as Raising Sand 6 years after release, CA will have stood the test of time.

Not to rain on your point, but Raising Sand was not a RP solo album but a colabro album with Alison Krauss.

There's almost no bands out there together 40 years that still make new records, let alone high quality records like CA, which makes this thread rather pointless.

So the artist needs to be putting out an album after 40 years of existing in the same artistic entity throughout that time? This gets stupider every post.

I'm not trying to argue with you, or invalidate Raising Sand. It's just that you were ignoring Alison Krauss in every post.

I'm not ignoring her, though I somehow suspect that when the two got in a room and their artistic visions differed, Plant may have had the leg up.

It was still pretty collaborative. Even without Krauss, Burnett had quite a bit to do with the album also.

Either way, I don't disagree that it's awesome. It's a phenomenal covers record. I just don't think it qualifies in this instance.

And you would be wrong in that belief. Great example, OP.

• Like 1

Fine! Since this technicallity has finally been brought to light. We will now except any band or Solo artist that was around 1976 or earlier. But the album in order to qualify must been release between 2012 and 2013. :codger:

http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs21/f/2007/299/2/2/The_Waffler_by_NicholasArdens.jpg ;)

http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs21/f/2007/299/2/2/The_Waffler_by_NicholasArdens.jpg ;)

Is that going to be Ben Aflecks arch enemy?

http://www.popmythology.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Ben-Affleck-Batman.png

• Like 1

HEART - Fanatic......?????? Nope

JUDAS PRIEST - nope

Has it been 15 years yet so the next BOSTON album can appear?

What's with all the ??? for Fanatic. You might not agree but the critics sure do. Same exact score as Clockwork Angels on Metacritic.

• Like 1

Not to rain on your point, but Raising Sand was not a RP solo album but a colabro album with Alison Krauss.

There's almost no bands out there together 40 years that still make new records, let alone high quality records like CA, which makes this thread rather pointless.

So the artist needs to be putting out an album after 40 years of existing in the same artistic entity throughout that time? This gets stupider every post.

I'm not trying to argue with you, or invalidate Raising Sand. It's just that you were ignoring Alison Krauss in every post.

I'm not ignoring her, though I somehow suspect that when the two got in a room and their artistic visions differed, Plant may have had the leg up.

It was still pretty collaborative. Even without Krauss, Burnett had quite a bit to do with the album also.

Either way, I don't disagree that it's awesome. It's a phenomenal covers record. I just don't think it qualifies in this instance.

And you would be wrong in that belief. Great example, OP.

How so?

I'll say it again. Solo acts should be automatically out of the discussion unless they Started as a solo act 40 years ago. Robert Plant solo albums are not Zeppelin albums.

I'll say it again. I don't care what you think.

• Like 1

JUDAS PRIEST - nope

What's with all the ??? for Fanatic. You might not agree but the critics sure do. Same exact score as Clockwork Angels on Metacritic.

That's why I don't go by what the Critics say. I have Fanatic, and I can honestly say its a good album but no where near Clockwork Angels. However there are a few tracks on the album I just love: A Million Miles, Pennsylvania and the title track. Other than that the album sounds and feels disorganized concerning its writing. Now I really wanted this album to be better since it has Ben Mink's hands all over it but it just didn't cut it :finbar: . I'm glad you are enjoying it though! :cool:
  • Like 1

I'll say it again. Solo acts should be automatically out of the discussion unless they Started as a solo act 40 years ago. Robert Plant solo albums are not Zeppelin albums.

I'll say it again. I don't care what you think.

Sorry there LedRUSH but Presto has my vote on that issue. Robert Plant didn't go solo until 1982. So I guess in 2022 we can start this debate up again in earnest concerning his solo career. ;)

JUDAS PRIEST - nope

That's why I don't go by what the Critics say. I have Fanatic, and I can honestly say its a good album but no where near Clockwork Angels. However there are a few tracks on the album I just love: A Million Miles, Pennsylvania and the title track. Other than that the album sounds and feels disorganized concerning its writing. Now I really wanted this album to be better since it has Ben Mink's hands all over it but it just didn't cut it :finbar: . I'm glad you are enjoying it though! :cool:

I don't think it's Quite as good as Clockwork, but the best Heart has done in a long time. Obviously many people agree with me. You listed some great songs but I would put Mashalla, Zingara, Corduroy Road, and Rock Deep right there.

• Like 1

JUDAS PRIEST - nope

I don't think it's Quite as good as Clockwork, but the best Heart has done in a long time. Obviously many people agree with me. You listed some great songs but I would put Mashalla, Zingara, Corduroy Road, and Rock Deep right there.

I would agree on Mashalla, its has a nice hard edge to it , but the rest just felt disorganized to me. Now I understand its just a personal taste but I like the organization of the CA songs much more. Take Rock Deep, I like the beginning of the song then it just goes somewhere else and looses its attraction. Mashalla does the same thing but the harder rock groove is a bit more enjoyable. They had somne really good moments that weren't focused on. The writing jumps around to much for me. It doesn't sound coheasive or focused. Edited by losingit2k

Wire

Talk about scratching out an entry. October of 1976 right under the deadline. Can't comment haven't heard the album. Listening to it on Youtube now. Sounds pretty good. We have a contender! :codger:

Edited by losingit2k

Keep the fire stoked.................. You might need this.......... :P

http://image.shutterstock.com/display_pic_with_logo/58230/58230,1297608226,1/stock-photo-vintage-bellows-isolated-with-clipping-path-included-71295103.jpg

• Like 1

Keep the fire stoked.................. You might need this.......... :P

http://image.shutterstock.com/display_pic_with_logo/58230/58230,1297608226,1/stock-photo-vintage-bellows-isolated-with-clipping-path-included-71295103.jpg

I prefer to use this contraption:

• Like 1

JUDAS PRIEST - nope

I would agree on Mashalla, its has a nice hard edge to it , but the rest just felt disorganized to me. Now I understand its just a personal taste but I like the organization of the CA songs much more. Take Rock Deep, I like the beginning of the song then it just goes somewhere else and looses its attraction. Mashalla does the same thing but the harder rock groove is a bit more enjoyable. They had somne really good moments that weren't focused on. The writing jumps around to much for me. It doesn't sound coheasive or focused.

Couldn't disagree more but that's why music is subjective. The amazing chorus and fadeout of Rock Deep is my fav part. Nancy's backup vocals on the chorus are sublime. I think you judge record more on arrangement and instrumentation where I focus more on accessibility and overall mood. The choruses in some of the songs of CA is it's only weakness IMO. Some of the choruses don't flow quite as well as some of Rush's landmark records.

• Like 1

I would say:

The Eagles - Hotel California

Paul Simon - Greatest Hits (Shining Like A National Guitar), Graceland

Steely Dan - Aja

The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Axis : Bold As Love

The Beatles - Hard Day's Night, Revolver, Help

Paul Mccartney - Wings Over America, Band On The Run

Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon

Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin II

Simon and Garfunkel - Bridge Over Troubled Water

Foreigner - 4, Foreigner, Double Vision

Iron Butterfly - In a gadda da vida

The bold underlined ones are the major albums (the really good ones).

Edited by chasekratzer

I would say:

The Eagles - Hotel California

Paul Simon - Greatest Hits (Shining Like A National Guitar), Graceland

Steely Dan - Aja

The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Axis : Bold As Love

The Beatles - Hard Day's Night, Revolver, Help

Paul Mccartney - Wings Over America, Band On The Run

Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon

Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin II

Simon and Garfunkel - Bridge Over Troubled Water

Foreigner - 4, Foreigner, Double Vision

Iron Butterfly - In a gadda da vida

The bold underlined ones are the major albums (the really good ones).

All Great albums, but you completely botched the premise of the thread.