Name one band that has created an album as good as Clockwork Angels 40 years into their career

losingit2k

We'd better search for a band that put out albums steadily for almost 40 years.

Wait till Tom Scholz (the master of patience) enters this thread. :codger:

No shit! Eric Johnson has nothing on that guy

What I wanted to say is, there is NO other band creating steadily good (for some of you at least listenable) albums, for almost 4 decades only to crown that amount of longevity with something like Clockwork Angels. No band is compareable to Rush.

13 is Dirgey rubbish

Raising Sand is a major snooze-fest and all covers.

Now What is the only contender, an excellent album.

37 years after his debut, Pat Travers is still putting out excellent music, his 'Can Do' album is right up there with his best imho.

I3 was the number one album in world. Is Pat opening for the puppet show or is it the other way around? ;)

So are we going down the "sales = good" path ?

Fish in a barrel time I guess........

13 didn't have a "hit" single on it, and Ozzy's Scream and Dio Sabbath's The Devil You Know, together, sold a fraction of what 13 sold. Those two albums, both released only a couple of years ago, would logically draw the same fan base that 13 did, but collectively they didn't hit the numbers 13 did. So going down the "pop stars like Britney Spears/Lady Gaga/Katy Perry sell records but suck" path is a dead end because 13 isn't a pop album. 13 sold so well because it's a great album. Pat Travers doesn't belong in the same discussion with Ozzy or Black Sabbath, even the Martin era.

13 is Dirgey rubbish

37 years after his debut, Pat Travers is still putting out excellent music, his 'Can Do' album is right up there with his best imho.

I3 was the number one album in world. Is Pat opening for the puppet show or is it the other way around? ;)

13 didn't have a "hit" single on it, and Ozzy's Scream and Dio Sabbath's The Devil You Know, together, sold a fraction of what 13 sold. Those two albums, both released only a couple of years ago, would logically draw the same fan base that 13 did, but collectively they didn't hit the numbers 13 did. So going down the "pop stars like Britney Spears/Lady Gaga/Katy Perry sell records but suck" path is a dead end because 13 isn't a pop album. 13 sold so well because it's a great album. Pat Travers doesn't belong in the same discussion with Ozzy or Black Sabbath, even the Martin era.

Nostalgia always sells.

Quality doesn't sell nearly as much as nostalgia does.

13 is Dirgey rubbish

Nostalgia always sells.

Quality doesn't sell nearly as much as nostalgia does.

A fair enough point, and 13 certainly does more than tip its hat to the first six albums. But I'm a huge Soundgarden fan, and I wouldn't call King Animal a "great" album. And my point about Scream and The Devil You Know's numbers is that presumably there are Ozzy fans, and Dio era Sabbath fans, some of whom only like one or the other, and taken together the sales don't equal what 13 sold. Hardcore fans and people drawn to the nostalgia presumably bought the album the first week or so after its release. It's continued good sales owe more to the fact that fans of that type of music heard that a) Ozzy was back with Black Sabbath and b) the album they released was a good one.

I guess this Black Sabbath album is all down to opinion (as is everything, right?). I'm not a fan...but in the UK it has gone down a treat. I guess I am quite impressed! And it can't all be hype, the last couple of albums released prior to this one hardly set the world on fire. So I guess I will give my vote to Black Sabbath. Perhaps even more so than the last Springsteen. After all, I think Rush fans new Rush still had it in them to a certain degree (perhaps not quite as much as what CA happily delivered for us!), but BS? Nah...I don't think anyone expected both the critics AND the audience to love it quite as much as they did.

And as for the 13 naysayers...are they in the majority? Coz I am not so sure...after all, even CA has its detractors. Doesn't change the fact Rush released a late in the game masterwork.

I guess this Black Sabbath album is all down to opinion (as is everything, right?). I'm not a fan...but in the UK it has gone down a treat. I guess I am quite impressed! And it can't all be hype, the last couple of albums released prior to this one hardly set the world on fire. So I guess I will give my vote to Black Sabbath. Perhaps even more so than the last Springsteen. After all, I think Rush fans new Rush still had it in them to a certain degree (perhaps not quite as much as what CA happily delivered for us!), but BS? Nah...I don't think anyone expected both the critics AND the audience to love it quite as much as they did.

And as for the 13 naysayers...are they in the majority? Coz I am not so sure...after all, even CA has its detractors. Doesn't change the fact Rush released a late in the game masterwork.

I like Black Sabbath. I, in all fairness, cannot consider myself a die-hard fan, but I like them. I like 13, even though they are obviously using ideas from 40 years ago. It's a good album. Rush re-used a lot of ideas with Clockwork Angels, but ideas from the past 10 years. Clockwork Angels is much more impressive and enjoyable than 13.

Miley Cyrus is a joke. I actually like her voice, for some reason, but the attention grabbing is painful. She is a spoiled brat and I just don't get it.

Dare I say Van Halen and "A Different Kind Of Truth" in this forum, They've been around in one form or another since 74 I think

First album didn't come out 'til 1978. So you'd be "cheating" to include them here :) Also, the album you refer to doesn't (theoretically) have new music (although it's never been released). According to DLR, they were all old demo songs, and he was disappointed that they didn't write "anything new" for the record.

That's splitting hairs, though. I love VH. Sammy OR Dave. The Cherone guy? SUPER NICE, but as a singer for VH???????

Clem