Name one band that has created an album as good as Clockwork Angels 40 years into their career

losingit2k

Robert Plant (Raising Sand)

Robert Plant hasn't been 40 years into his solo career. :nya nya:

Has Cher?

Well this thread has inspired me to check out A Bigger Bang by the stones sometime, gets a cpl decent reviews so might fit into your category dunno.

Incidentally the stones played live recently in uk i saw em on tv and i thought they were effin brilliant.

The Stones would be lucky if they had one good or worthy track on the disc. Lately that's been the norm. Actually I think they stole their last hit from Bonnie Raitt. :facepalm:

Has Cher?

Yeah, she has but Come on! Has anyone actually listened to an entire Cher album and survived? :huh:

Edited by losingit2k
  • Like 1

Ok ok okay...its like thirty years into this bands career...

Doobie Brothers- Sibling Rivalry. Great album!!!

Has Cher?

Yeah, she has but Come on! Has anyone actually listened to an entire Cher album and survived? :huh:

DO YOU BELIEVE IN LIIIIIIFE AFTER LOOOOOOVE

I CAN FEEEL SOMETHIIING INSIIIIIIDE ME SAAAAY I REALLY DON'T THINK I'M STRONG ENOUGH NOOOO!!

Aww man...a disc of tunes all like this would float my boat and sail me merry by ferry!

I GOT YOU BABE!!!

Has Cher?

DO YOU BELIEVE IN LIIIIIIFE AFTER LOOOOOOVE

I CAN FEEEL SOMETHIIING INSIIIIIIDE ME SAAAAY I REALLY DON'T THINK I'M STRONG ENOUGH NOOOO!!

Aww man...a disc of tunes all like this would float my boat and sail me merry by ferry!

I GOT YOU BABE!!!

Greatest Hits don't count! :laughing guy:

• Like 1

Black Ice - ACDC

- some great tunes on that one like "Rock in Roll Train", "War Machine", "Big Jack" and "Anything goes"

Neither was Rush when they released Clockwork Angels.

And Plant's not a band either.

Still, he was far more than 40 years into his career when he released the album, and the album is amazing.

• Like 1

Bob Dylan.

Which album "Tempest"? Yeah that's a good album if you want to go crazy and commit suicide! :crazy:

Time Out of Mind (another album of the year winner)

Love and Theft (even better critical response than TOOM (named second best album of the decade, top 500 album all time, etc.)

Modern Times (Not as good as the other two, but still great and very, very highly regarded by critics)

• Like 1

Oh and Lynard Skynard came out with a pretty rockin tune. "Still unbroken"

It really isn't the same band with their lead singer, 2 of 3 guitarists, bassist and pianist all deceased and their original drummer long gone from the group. That band was more cursed than the Kennedy family.

Sorry. I just read how the question was worded - "40 years into their career."

Let me ask you where you think Rush got the idea to use an orchestra from if others hadn't blazed that trail long before they were a household name?

Yes has already done this in 2001: The Symphonic Tour

• Like 1

Easy for me. Heart put out one of my fav records last year called Fanatic that I would put up against any of their early works. Even the bonus tracks are fantastic. Produced by none other than Ben Mink. Heart's first record was in 76 I believe so Rush has them by 2 years. Edited by presto123
  • Like 1

Bob Dylan.

Which album "Tempest"? Yeah that's a good album if you want to go crazy and commit suicide! :crazy:

Time Out of Mind (another album of the year winner)

Love and Theft (even better critical response than TOOM (named second best album of the decade, top 500 album all time, etc.)

Modern Times (Not as good as the other two, but still great and very, very highly regarded by critics)

Really? You're going by what the critics say? If it were up to the critics, RUSH would have never gotten off the ground. :facepalm:

Sorry. I just read how the question was worded - "40 years into their career."

Let me ask you where you think Rush got the idea to use an orchestra from if others hadn't blazed that trail long before they were a household name?

Yes has already done this in 2001: The Symphonic Tour

Not to mention the album "Magnification" which has some pretty good tracks on it. :haz:
  • Like 2

Remember it's all about "taste". Lotta people here don't like Clockwork Angels. Although it's ALWAYS a matter of opinion, the consensus amongst the masses are the following are "great" albums:

Rolling Stones - Bigger Bang

Bob Dylan - Modern Times, The Tempest

Paul McCartney - New (brand new. I love this one. the guy's 71. sheesh.)

Elton John - The Captain and the Kid, The Diving Board (another brand new one that's getting a lot of fanfare)

I also really like ZZ Top's new one -"La Futura". Surprised me big time, since I haven't liked anything they've done since 1983.

Clem

Remember it's all about "taste". Lotta people here don't like Clockwork Angels. Although it's ALWAYS a matter of opinion, the consensus amongst the masses are the following are "great" albums:

Rolling Stones - Bigger Bang

Bob Dylan - Modern Times, The Tempest

Paul McCartney - New (brand new. I love this one. the guy's 71. sheesh.)

Elton John - The Captain and the Kid, The Diving Board (another brand new one that's getting a lot of fanfare)

I also really like ZZ Top's new one -"La Futura". Surprised me big time, since I haven't liked anything they've done since 1983.

Clem

The masses could be very wrong as well! Hence (Dance with the Stars, American Idol and Taylor Swift)

Rolling Stones - Bigger Bang (OK- not great by a long shot)

Bob Dylan - Modern Times, The Tempest (Snooze Fest)

Paul McCartney - New Some good songs on it but nothing like his earlier stuff)

Elton John - The Captain and the Kid, The Diving Board (Not a bad album, Much better than his last two albums, Yet, its a candle in the wind compared to CA)

ZZ Top's new one -"La Futura". This is the best of all you've mentioned. Its raw and does have some good old sounding tracks that highlight their sound from the earlier days as "Tres Hombres". :codger:

Miles Davis- Bitches Brew

Black Sabbath- 13 (I'm not a fan...but people raved about it like it was still 1970)

Bruce Springsteen- Wrecking Ball

Good call on Springsteen. Wrecking Ball is quite rightly heralded as being one of his very best.

Weren't those all covers? Well, minus the one Plant/Page song covered.

Album of the year winning covers.

On route with all those other album of the year that were forgotten the following year. :bump: Edited by losingit2k

Miles Davis- Bitches Brew

Black Sabbath- 13 (I'm not a fan...but people raved about it like it was still 1970)

Bruce Springsteen- Wrecking Ball

Good call on Springsteen. Wrecking Ball is quite rightly heralded as being one of his very best.

Its a good album, but it really truly has very few memorable tracks. This Depression and Land of Hope and Dreams are the best Tracks on that album.