Name one band that has created an album as good as Clockwork Angels 40 years into their career

losingit2k

Don't be too cocky...Madonna made it through the wilderness.

And she owes it all to you.

Madonna , i believe, is pretty damn talented. She was always very savvy about her image, and surrounded herself with good pop songwriters.

• Like 3

Madonna , i believe, is pretty damn talented. She was always very savvy about her image, and surrounded herself with good pop songwriters.

Still she's not 40 years into it. And here last release wasn't that good. Anyway how did Madonna infiltrate this thread. :rage:

Well damn, I can't talk about the Dave Matthews Band here. ;)

Not yet. Need to wait about 20 Years and hope they come up with an album as good as CA. But lets face it, is there any album in their current catalog that is as good as CA?

Miles Davis- Bitches Brew

Black Sabbath- 13 (I'm not a fan...but people raved about it like it was still 1970)

Bruce Springsteen- Wrecking Ball

Black Sabbath 13 is a pile of camel poo...awful dirges

Now now... it's Tony showing the world how it's done. I can't believe a progressive paper like yours would side with the haters' side. Seriously considering ending my subscription to the YBG.

:P :P :P :P :P

• Like 1

Neil Young continues to release great albums, as does Bob Dylan. Last year's Tempest is wonderful.

Paul McCartney is still releasing great solo material.

But, in terms of bands, that's a head-scratcher alright.

Fly From Here? Mua-ha-ha-ha!!! Putrid nonsense from a once great band.

Miles Davis- Bitches Brew

Black Sabbath- 13 (I'm not a fan...but people raved about it like it was still 1970)

Bruce Springsteen- Wrecking Ball

Black Sabbath 13 is a pile of camel poo...awful dirges

Now now... it's Tony showing the world how it's done. I can't believe a progressive paper like yours would side with the haters' side. Seriously considering ending my subscription to the YBG.

:P :P :P :P :P

I listened to the album 4 times...I tried bro, seriously tried to enjoy it. What's your favorite cut?

Well this thread has inspired me to check out A Bigger Bang by the stones sometime, gets a cpl decent reviews so might fit into your category dunno.

Incidentally the stones played live recently in uk i saw em on tv and i thought they were effin brilliant.

Yes' Fly From Here was the one that immediately came to mind. Whether it's better or worse than CA is purely subjective, but I think it's certainly the best Yes material in quite some long time, even taking into account the 10 year gap before its release. Ever since Tormato they've been extremely hit-or-miss. Edited by Bangster of Goats
  • Like 2

Yes' Fly From Here was the one that immediately came to mind. Whether it's better or worse than CA is purely subjective, but I think it's certainly the best Yes material in quite some long time, even taking into account the 10 year gap before its release. Ever since Tormato they've been extremely hit-or-miss.

Yes is one of the only bands you can even bring into this conversation...and technically even they barely fit due to personnel changes where Rush only had one personnel change and that change is usually marked with an * for most Rush fans because it happened so early (not TOO dissimilar to Ringo replacing Best in The Beatles).

Yes's "Fly From Here" is a pretty decent album, the best since 'The Ladder' IMO, but I also don't think that's saying much. I like some of the tunes from 'Magnification' but just couldn't get behind strings replacing the keys, and when Wakeman played songs from that album with the band live (Live at Montreaux great example) they were sublime!

But I digress from the topic. Again.

Fly from Here is good, but Clockwork Angels stomps its guts out by absolutely any measure.

Yes is going to be recording this winter so we'll see what they can cook up. I like to think Rush raised the bar for them with CA.

• Like 1

Still she's not 40 years into it. And here last release wasn't that good. Anyway how did Madonna infiltrate this thread. :rage:

You started a thread about subjective music tastes, that's how. ;)

Well damn, I can't talk about the Dave Matthews Band here. ;)

Not yet. Need to wait about 20 Years and hope they come up with an album as good as CA. But lets face it, is there any album in their current catalog that is as good as CA?

Difficult to say.. Music and arrangement wise, I don't think so. The concept album is tricky, and they pulled it off perfectly. One of the things that makes CA as fantastic as it is are the lyrics. But they're different from the Dave writing style and also difficult to compare. However, if we're going on musicianship, I think some stuff in their albums can compare. Both bands have immense amounts of musicianship.

I don't see DMB lasting another 20 years. But hey, i'm sure that in 1995, people said the exact same for Rush. The fact that they're still touring today given their age and the circumstances in which they've survived (Neil's tragedy) is incredible. Dave singing "Crash Into Me" or "Rapunzel" at age 65 would be a little creepy. ;)

Edited by FountainOfSyrinx
  • Like 1

You started a thread about subjective music tastes, that's how. ;)

I also placed a conditions for the thread. Obviously, many can't understand that in order to be in contention the band needed to be around in 1974 or earlier. In 1974 I think Madonna was probably shocking the boys in her Elementary school during break time. :whipgirl:

Edited by losingit2k