Alex original self portrait auction for charity

jdouglas

On ebay Canada with 24 hours left..current bid is $6,200.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Alex-Lifeson-RUSH-Original-Kidney-Foundation-of-Canada-A-Brush-of-Hope-/360772118997?pt=Art_Paintings&hash=item53ffb1a9d5&_uhb=1

Sorry..this looks like a repost, but I didn't see the link in the other thread...mods can move this if needed.

Edited by jdouglas

That portrait is nice by any standard. I never liked celebrity paintings that weren't good for anything but the name of the artist, but this is actually a legitimate and inspired work of surrealism. Then again, none of the guys are known for doing a half-assed job at anything.
  • Like 1

I wonder who's style he's copied. I guess it will come out eventually..

Incapable of joy or appreciation. Sad, sad man. Go outside, walk around.

Accept the truth, it shall set you free.

Edited by ReRushed
  • Like 1

Why do so many of these actors and musicians and sports stars think they can become painters?

Because this is the kind of talent that makes you millions. The people painting for this auction have no talent resembling such beauty.

Seriously though, some of these are very well done. While I wouldn't hang Alex's portrait in my house I'm pretty shocked he can paint that well.

• Like 2

As I said, this is much better than other celebrity paintings. That doesn't mean it's anywhere near flawless, of course. Just somewhere above capable, kind of like Neil's writing. Nobody's expecting either Da Vinci or Dostoevsky here.

I don't know... Kinda looks like he stole Da Vinci's idea.... Look at it carefully... He clearly took the Mona Lisa and ran it through chorus and arpeggiated the background... Same smile and all.... He only added the glasses to distract us from this.... :facepalm: :cheers:

It looks like he took a photograph of himself and then distorted it in Photoshop or some similar program and then painted over it or used it as a guide. I don't recall Alex being mentioned as a painter before so who knows, maybe he asked Hugh Syme for some pointers.

I don't recall Alex being mentioned as a painter before so who knows, maybe he asked Hugh Syme for some pointers.

Alex is known as an accomplished painter. He has donated at least one prior to this to benefit the Kidney Foundation. I've seen a few of his pieces (do a Google search for 'alex lifeson painting' to see a couple), but this is the first surreal piece I've seen him do.

I know a guy who was a friend of a guy who was one of Journeys roadies back in the 70s, and he said Alex and Schon would be seen painting a lot together...hmmmmmmm...

I don't recall Alex being mentioned as a painter before so who knows, maybe he asked Hugh Syme for some pointers.

Alex is known as an accomplished painter. He has donated at least one prior to this to benefit the Kidney Foundation. I've seen a few of his pieces (do a Google search for 'alex lifeson painting' to see a couple), but this is the first surreal piece I've seen him do.

"Accomplished" painter.. Just like CA's a masterpiece. His paintings look more like a middle-school student's assignment. If he painted something worth displaying I would buy it.