Did Alex rip off the ending riff in Xanadu

losingit2k

Did Alex rip the ending Riff to Xanadu?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Did Alex rip the ending Riff to Xanadu?

• Yes
    • No

It's a chord people. An freaking chord.

Nothing was ripped off. That chord has a name and will be and has been used all over the place. In the context of a completely different song it cannot be considered a rip-off.

Waaa. I played a Em 7th in my song and then he used the same chord! Waaa

It's Neil Schon's chord. Why can't you understand that?

• Like 1

Not to be too dramatic, but I am pretty shaken by this finding. I always considered the Schon Chorus/Powerchord/Arpeggiation to be exclusive/unique to Alex, and only Alex. This is why I am terribly disappointed. Its not authentic to him. It really is a hard pill to swallow. It won't make me hate the band, but has impacted my respect for Alex. He's still a great guitarist and glad he did have the ear to realize the potential greatness of Neal's passage and elaborate on it. It still hurts nonetheless.

ONCE again—where do you buy your tin foil hats?

It's a chord people. An freaking chord.

Nothing was ripped off. That chord has a name and will be and has been used all over the place. In the context of a completely different song it cannot be considered a rip-off.

Waaa. I played a Em 7th in my song and then he used the same chord! Waaa

It's Neil Schon's chord. Why can't you understand that?

Hahaha

How about Journey's chord progression for Don't Stop Believing? You know how many people have used that before and after them? Let It Be by the Beatles maybe? Well check it out...

• Like 2

We are talking about an omnipresent "style" that Alex had "adopted" (putting it nicely) from Neal Schon, as his own, spanning over three contiguous and important albums, and used in every concert since 1978. It is huge, imo.

Relax bro...It's Alex's "Journey" phase...Don't stop believing
  • Like 3

We are talking about an omnipresent "style" that Alex had "adopted" (putting it nicely) from Neal Schon, as his own, spanning over three contiguous and important albums, and used in every concert since 1978. It is huge, imo.

Relax bro...It's Alex's "Journey" phase...Don't stop believing

Thanks for the laugh! I needed that.....Alex LiftedSchon! Ffs..

As his own? There you go again!

You have perfected projection.

I think I have evolved! Your posts no longer annoy me - they now entertain me.

I think you listen to music like reading a text book.

On a different note, I've always heard a similarity in the Alan Parsons Project instrumental "Sirius" to that same part of Xanadu.

And I heard" similarity" the beginning of the title track Clock Work Angels to Alan Parsons " I Robot"

It's just moving the open E major chord shape up and down the neck while letting the open high B and E strings ring out. That's it. That's one of the secrets to that classic late-70s Lifeson-o-phonic sound. It's not a hard thing to do at all, but Alex turned it into an artform, creating a nice big sound out of it. It's not the technique, it's what you do with it.

And Schon certainly wasn't the first guitarist in the history of the universe to do that. Moving a chord shape around the neck while letting open strings drone is Beginner Guitar 101. But I guess he has to feel butthurt every time someone does a simple E-F#-E-F# that way.

Edited by Bangster of Goats
  • Like 2

It's just moving the open E major chord shape up and down the neck while letting the open high B and E strings ring out. That's it. That's one of the secrets to that classic late-70s Lifeson-o-phonic sound. It's not a hard thing to do at all, but Alex turned it into an artform, creating a nice big sound out of it. It's not the technique, it's what you do with it.

And Schon certainly wasn't the first guitarist in the history of the universe to do that. Moving a chord shape around the neck while letting open strings drone is Beginner Guitar 101. But I guess he has to feel butthurt every time someone does a simple E-F#-E-F# that way.

Cool observantion...what's the hub-bub all about? This isn't uncommon.

Now, the La Villa Strangiato thing... Rush clearly nicked Raymond Scott's Powerhouse for that, but I'm guessing here that Al and Ged were sitting around getting high and watching Bugs Bunny cartoons and not knowing better, decided to use that phrase. ;) Anyway, that was all settled amicably... Rush realized their mistake and it was all taken care of.

Cool observantion...what's the hub-bub all about? This isn't uncommon.

But Alex Lifeson adopted it as his own! I don't understand why people don't understand that!

Edited by ReRushed

Now, the La Villa Strangiato thing... Rush clearly nicked Raymond Scott's Powerhouse for that, but I'm guessing here that Al and Ged were sitting around getting high and watching Bugs Bunny cartoons and not knowing better, decided to use that phrase. ;) Anyway, that was all settled amicably... Rush realized their mistake and it was all taken care of.

They gave full props for that.

Part of the problem is some may think of Rush as originators or innovators. As creative as Rush is, they have never been originators or innovators. They ride the waves they like best.

You'll have the fanboys self-harming if you carry on.

Part of the problem is some may think of Rush as originators or innovators. As creative as Rush is, they have never been originators or innovators. They ride the waves they like best.

To be honest, I don't think they're really as known for innovation as they are for their work ethic and business sense. They're really at their best more as performers than as songwriters.

To be honest, I don't think they're really as known for innovation as they are for their work ethic and business sense. They're really at their best more as performers than as songwriters.

Oh shit.. Here comes the Rush aren't good songwriters bit..

• Like 1

They are excellent songwriters and muscians. One of my absolute favorite bands. I love how they are inspired by what goes on around them and how they put their stamp on it. Honestly.

They sound different enough to me, though I do see the similarities. On a side note, who agrees Slash took the intro outro riff for sweet child o mine from Xanadu?

Xanadu takes more from this than Slash did from Xanadu.

I love how they are inspired by what goes on around them and how they put their stamp on it.

Nice inverse logic, emphasis on "put"