Did Alex rip off the ending riff in Xanadu

losingit2k

Did Alex rip the ending Riff to Xanadu?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Did Alex rip the ending Riff to Xanadu?

• Yes
    • No

Nickel and Dime is a nothing instrumental that no one cares about. Neal Schon probably forgot all about it by 1978. Journey fans memories don't go back to 1977. This is the epitome of a non-issue.

No one? GR79 is about to start a boycott RUSH petition in his hometown. Soon everyone will know! Its the end of RUSH world as we know it!

• Like 1

Nickel and Dime is a nothing instrumental that no one cares about. Neal Schon probably forgot all about it by 1978. Journey fans memories don't go back to 1977. This is the epitome of a non-issue.

The artistic "sequestration" manifests itself on a scale beyond the comprehension of most. How can you not see that? Oh wait...

I don't even know if sequestration is a real word or not and if it is is it in context? It's something to do with horses isn't it? :eh: :hail:

Doesn't it have something to do with this guy:? http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/pc/Ryan+Seacrest+Stars+Jingle+Ball+2+DPQ5W0r99Hal.jpg

Edited by losingit2k

The artistic "sequestration" manifests itself on a scale beyond the comprehension of most. How can you not see that? Oh wait...

I don't even know if sequestration is a real word or not and if it is is it in context? It's something to do with horses isn't it? :eh: :hail:

Doesn't it have something to do with this guy:? http://www.theepochtimes.com/n2/images/stories/large/2012/01/25/RyanSeacrest137148031.jpg

Who is he? :unsure:

I just know it's something Obama doesn't like............. :codger:

Excuse me for butting in for a sec............. I need to correct myself. I misspoke earlier. Which is kind of ironic in this case. It's something he wanted and then when it took effect he didn't.......... :codger: :facepalm:

Doesn't it have something to do with this guy:? http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/pc/Ryan+Seacrest+Stars+Jingle+Ball+2+DPQ5W0r99Hal.jpg

Its Ryan Seacrest. And when he licks your balls clear off, its known as......Sequestration!

Edited by losingit2k

Wow, that's pretty convincing I don't know or care if he did or not but really does sound similar.

On the other side i heard about eight years ago now, a later day King Crimson album from a friend of mine at work who is a Crimson fanatic a guitar riff that sounded identical to i believe it was to Freeze from Vapor Trails. Played it to my buddy and he had to admit 'holy shit it is!'.. Couldn't tell ya the King Crimson song or album but i'm pretty sure it came out shortly after Rush Vapor Trails..

• Like 1

Its Ryan Seacrest. And when he licks your balls clear off, its known as......Sequestration!

I've heard that name...

I've heard that name...

So has 98% of the US. Being the host of American Idol. He is the reason for the downfall of American Music in general.

Edited by losingit2k

They sound different enough to me, though I do see the similarities. On a side note, who agrees Slash took the intro outro riff for sweet child o mine from Xanadu?
  • Like 1

Cool song. Really cool, actually. Certainly better than anything I ever associated with Journey. Kind of reminds me of Brand X or something.

I don't think it's probably as big an influence on Xanadu as it's made out to be, though.

I've heard that name...

So has 98% of the US. Being the host of American Idol. He is the reason for the downfall of American Music in general.

Luckily I've never seen an episode. :sundog:

• Like 2

I hear the classic Tom Sawyer synth riff in there as well...who knows? I recall reading an interview with I believe Journeys manager, and he was going off about Rush ripping them off .. But like someone else said, all musicians take bits here and there on occasion, and a Rush continued to develop, whereas Journey brought Perry on board and decided they wanted to become Suzy soccer moms favorite band. Edited by Xanadoood
  • Like 3

I hear the classic Tom Sawyer synth riff in there as well...who knows? I recall reading an interview with I believe Journeys manager, and he was going off about Rush ripping them off .. But like someone else said, all musicians take bits here and there on occasion, and a Rush continued to develop, whereas Journey brought Perry on board and decided they wanted to become Suzy soccer moms favorite band.

Here's the distinction - the melody. They are not the same song.

A riff is a riff. An effect is an effect. How many songs have the same riff or a variation of a riff? Too many to count. Long ago, I remember listening to the Kinks' "Catch Me Now I'm Falling". Gee, that riff sounds FAMILIAR!! But the melody is all its own. George Harrison lost in court because the melody was ripped off.

Has Eddie Van Halen ever thanked Steve Hackett?

How many freakin' Bob Dylan songs are based on tired old blues progressions?

A riff or an effect is a tool. It's how you use it, whether it's intentional or not.

Edited by ReRushed
  • Like 4

With the sheer volume of music outa there youll naturally get occasional coincidences in sections of different music, one i discovered recently was an almost unbelievable copy of the spanish guitar intro to la villa at the start of 'mexican blood' by thin lizzy. Honestly, is like identical :) tried to find link on youtube but only had demo version without intro soz. Edited by lifeson90

He'll probably end up hating everything Rush has recorded and extend his trolling further.

I believe that's exactly why he's making such a big deal of this here, because now he's got a reason to renounce Rush entirely and go full-on hating troll without even having to admit how much he once loved them. Now his schtick will be about how they've always been fake and phony, and he'll ramp up the already existing undercurrent "THEY BETRAAAAAAAAAAAYED ME!".

You know the Neil thing he does, where he's got something nasty to say about every imaginable aspect of Neil, based on absolutely nothing? Now I expect that the entirety of Rush, all three members and their complete oeuvre, will be subject to that sort of rhetoric.

Not to be too dramatic, but I am pretty shaken by this finding. I always considered the Schon Chorus/Powerchord/Arpeggiation to be exclusive/unique to Alex, and only Alex. This is why I am terribly disappointed. Its not authentic to him. It really is a hard pill to swallow. It won't make me hate the band, but has impacted my respect for Alex. He's still a great guitarist and glad he did have the ear to realize the potential greatness of Neal's passage and elaborate on it. It still hurts nonetheless.
  • Like 2

It's a chord people. An freaking chord.

Nothing was ripped off. That chord has a name and will be and has been used all over the place. In the context of a completely different song it cannot be considered a rip-off.

Waaa. I played a Em 7th in my song and then he used the same chord! Waaa

• Like 1

Not to be too dramatic, but I am pretty shaken by this finding. I always considered the Schon Chorus/Powerchord/Arpeggiation to be exclusive/unique to Alex, and only Alex. This is why I am terribly disappointed. Its not authentic to him. It really is a hard pill to swallow. It won't make me hate the band, but has impacted my respect for Alex. He's still a great guitarist and glad he did have the ear to realize the potential greatness of Neal's passage and elaborate on it. It still hurts nonetheless.

You know, with all your self appointed intelligence and wisdom regarding Rush and music you lack the ability to enjoy music for what it is. You can be a case study for pseudo-intellectualism. It's pretty sad, bit I have to admit it puts a smile on my face. Nobody is perfect!