Bruce Springsteen

Segue Myles

Bruce Springsteen  

40 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate him?

• The Boss- a music legend and gifted songwriter/singer/storyteller- deserves every ounce of praise he gets!
    • Talented, but slightly overrated
    • Waste of time, ridiculously overrated
    • Call that music? I don't!

oh GOD I hate that man's music. well, let me rephrase- the E Street band are very talented, awesome.

His vocals.....like nails on a chalkboard. NEVER liked him. I hate his music so much lol. (at least I'm not like my husband- he only has to hear a split second of the music and he's like "MAKE IT F***IN STOP G**DAMN BRUCE!!!!!!!" I mean, he gets PISSED. lol.)

His vocals suck. Songwriting, not so great IMO.

Terribly overrated.

Come on Hobo just answer the question! Do you enjoy Bruce's music or not? How does your husband feel about it? Just wondering :scared: :notworthy:
  • Like 1

I actually don't mind some of his music that much, but let's be honest, aspiring "journalists" from North Korea seeking the favor of Kim Jung Un could learn their trade from the way the world's foremost practitioners of Groupthink (rock critics) appraise (special emphasis on the last six letters) his music.
  • Like 1

oh GOD I hate that man's music. well, let me rephrase- the E Street band are very talented, awesome.

His vocals.....like nails on a chalkboard. NEVER liked him. I hate his music so much lol. (at least I'm not like my husband- he only has to hear a split second of the music and he's like "MAKE IT F***IN STOP G**DAMN BRUCE!!!!!!!" I mean, he gets PISSED. lol.)

His vocals suck. Songwriting, not so great IMO.

Terribly overrated.

Come on Hobo just answer the question! Do you enjoy Bruce's music or not? How does your husband feel about it? Just wondering :scared: :notworthy:

hahaha yeah, I got very passionate about my dislike of him, eh? lol :P

My husband loathes the man. The other night I told him "Bruce Springsteen, Pearl Jam & Dave Matthews Band. That would TRULY be your concert from hell, wouldn't it?"

....you should've seen the glare I got hahahaha

• Like 1

Well I was expecting VENOM and HATRED (ooh...im not talking about black metal bands!).

Surprising amount of nice words!

Darkness on the Edge of Town is gold. Pure gold. One of his best, and one of my favorite albums.

I'll say that there are plenty of times when the hype has been just that—hype—and I feel that, especially lately, the Springsteen bandwagon is far too crowded with hipsters, posers, etc., but at the end of the day, his best work can stand the test of time. There's certainly some stuff that isn't great or even good, but there's no denying his passion for music. When he makes good music, it's good.

• Like 1

His music doesn't do anything for me.

Same here, except for I'm On Fire. Always affects me when I hear it. Great little song.

Darkness on the Edge of Town is gold. Pure gold. One of his best, and one of my favorite albums.

I'll say that there are plenty of times when the hype has been just that—hype—and I feel that, especially lately, the Springsteen bandwagon is far too crowded with hipsters, posers, etc., but at the end of the day, his best work can stand the test of time. There's certainly some stuff that isn't great or even good, but there's no denying his passion for music. When he makes good music, it's good.

This!

I am not one of those ridiculous fans who proclaim that everything he touches is gold. After all, I struggle to listen to the whole of Nebraska in one sitting, and he has quite a few releases that, for him, are bland (Human Touch is almost 100% turd!).

But his best work makes him, for me, the greatest songwriter in my opinion.

(Btw does my endless gushing get annoying? I am so full of love for Bruce its pathetic! )

• Like 1

I will say you definitely love some Springsteen. When I was young and Rush were considered nobodies, I used to try and try to convince people of their greatness. It pretty much fell on deaf years :banghead: . At the end of the day, music is really a personal thing anyway. This may not be the greatest analogy but, if you consider music to be an emotional experience this may work. My parents are the greatest parents in the world and I love them unconditionally, but how could I ever prove to you or anyone my passion and how wonderful they are? Never happen :codger: :huh:

This!

I am not one of those ridiculous fans who proclaim that everything he touches is gold. After all, I struggle to listen to the whole of Nebraska in one sitting, and he has quite a few releases that, for him, are bland (Human Touch is almost 100% turd!).

But his best work makes him, for me, the greatest songwriter in my opinion.

(Btw does my endless gushing get annoying? I am so full of love for Bruce its pathetic! )

Man, we're all on this forum because we've at one time or another gushed about the greatness of Rush, so much so that people probably told us to shut up, and thus we ended up here, to connect with others who love that Most Awesome of Bands, Rush. So gush away, I say.

And one of the great things about being a fan is that you can proclaim your love, annoyance, and even occasional hate, for those you admire.

I imagine that people who don't get rush look at me the way I look at the boss fans. I just don't get any aspect of it. I don't like his songs, music, lyrics, or anything about him. I was surprised to see that you're a big fan and from the uk. His big fans tend to be American I thought.

I've seen Bruce in concert four times, first in 1984. He puts on one of the greatest shows I have ever seen. The energy of Bruce and the E-Street Band is amazing. They play for three or four hours non-stop, no intermission. They play requests. Requests! :o They still carry the work ethos of a bar band. The band is dynamic and energetic and Bruce is a masterful storyteller.

My favourite albums are the first four. I think Thunder Road has some of the greatest lyrics ever penned (The screen door slams, Mary's dress waves...). Stellar.

http://www.thescifiworld.net/img/smilies/galactica/cylon/cylon002.gif

• Like 1

My favourite albums are the first four. I think Thunder Road has some of the greatest lyrics ever penned (The screen door slams, Mary's dress waves...). Stellar.

http://www.thescifiworld.net/img/smilies/galactica/cylon/cylon002.gif

"Thunder Road" is the one. One of my all-time favs.

I imagine that people who don't get rush look at me the way I look at the boss fans. I just don't get any aspect of it. I don't like his songs, music, lyrics, or anything about him. I was surprised to see that you're a big fan and from the uk. His big fans tend to be American I thought.

Well...my favourite band is Italian and I love Japanese anime...soo...I tend to look beyond british borders (plus I was born in South Africa, so im not a true brit anyway!)

Bruce is very american, which is fascinating to me, as I long to visit the USA!

Bruce is very american, which is fascinating to me, as I long to visit the USA!

I made the mistake of visiting Asbury Park in the '90s, when it was in bad shape. Locked my car doors and drove thru all the top signs to get outta there.

• Like 1

I'm a Springsteen fan always have been, but I get the overindulgence of Rolling Stone magazine praise for everything he's done gets to be tiresome just like they worship U2. ( I'm a U2 fan also but they go way over the top with Bono) Bruce's song writing can relate to certain people immediately who have gone through certain aspects of the stories he tells. The ghost of Tom Joad album the song Youngstown hits home with me literally it's my home turf and about the job i make a living at working in a steel mill.
  • Like 1

I agree about rolling stone and the tom joad album is a masterpiece! I like it a lot and think it may even better Nebraska!

However, when the press talk about how marvellous an album Born In The USA is, I cringe. It has some Segue love, but his first five albums are so superior and, to an extent, so overlooked it almost hurts me! Greetings, The Wild, Darkness and River are real classics, whereas Born To Run outclasses Born In The USA so much it ain't even funny!

And I think his work since the rising has been a lot more patchy than the rolling stone likes to admit.

Who cares what that stupid magazine thinks anyway? They treat hip hop like a king and treet Toto and Rush (amongst others) like they are total garbage!

• Like 1

I agree about rolling stone and the tom joad album is a masterpiece! I like it a lot and think it may even better Nebraska!

However, when the press talk about how marvellous an album Born In The USA is, I cringe. It has some Segue love, but his first five albums are so superior and, to an extent, so overlooked it almost hurts me! Greetings, The Wild, Darkness and River are real classics, whereas Born To Run outclasses Born In The USA so much it ain't even funny!

And I think his work since the rising has been a lot more patchy than the rolling stone likes to admit.

Who cares what that stupid magazine thinks anyway? They treat hip hop like a king and treet Toto and Rush (amongst others) like they are total garbage!

My annoyance with the magazine is that, though they review anything and everything popular or that has mass appeal, they still hide behind this persona of a rock magazine—which they aren't. I have no problem with a magazine shifting gears, nor is something bad just because it's popular, but they still act like they're all about rock: "We're Rolling Stone--you know, that really famous rock magazine." They want the pedigree without continuing the line.

• Like 1