Should Rush Studio Album #20 be Another Concept Piece?

Holdyourfireal

Should the Next Record be a Concept Album?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Next Record be a Concept Album?

• Yes!
    • Maybe...
    • No!

That depends on whether or not you view Feedback as an official album, an EP or, being an album made soley of covers, an obscure curio no more legitimate as an album than a live cd/dvd.

I view CA as their 19th release.

That's fine, but Feedback was recorded by Rush in the studio. :D

It's an EP, not an album. End of story.

Rush calls CA their 20th studio album.

Billboard classifies EP as 4 to 6 songs. However, according to Recording Industry Association of America, an EP is defined as 3-5 songs, whereas a single is allowed to contain up to 4 songs. [/Quote]

Feedback contains 8 songs. :D

• Like 1

That depends on whether or not you view Feedback as an official album, an EP or, being an album made soley of covers, an obscure curio no more legitimate as an album than a live cd/dvd.

That's fine, but Feedback was recorded by Rush in the studio. :D

It's an EP, not an album. End of story.

Rush calls CA their 20th studio album.

Billboard classifies EP as 4 to 6 songs. However, according to Recording Industry Association of America, an EP is defined as 3-5 songs, whereas a single is allowed to contain up to 4 songs. [/Quote]

Feedback contains 8 songs. :D

Do they? Not doubting you, but I'd like to see that mentioned by them. If they do, then I will count Feedback as a studio album. If they say it is, it is.

hm...

I wouldn't mind if it were to be another concept album. Either way, it's still too early for me to anticipate a new Rush album; I'll wait until 2015.

New Star Wars & new Rush! WOW!

Yeah That's how I feel. Can't wait for 2015! :drool: :dweez: :drool:

• Like 1

hm...

I wouldn't mind if it were to be another concept album. Either way, it's still too early for me to anticipate a new Rush album; I'll wait until 2015.

New Star Wars & new Rush! WOW!

Yeah That's how I feel. Can't wait for 2015! :drool: :dweez: :drool:

count me in on that...I hope the original cast members show up in fine form :codger:
  • Like 1

It's clear to me Rush won't do another concept/rock opera record again. They aren't into repeating themselves, so CA will be the first and last if it's kind. I think the next album may continue with the power trio sound they went for on a lot of on CA. I think what Geddy recently said here is telling:

"I think what was really interesting about the post-synthesizer period was the fact that we had garnered a lot of musicality through that era and now we were trying to reapply it in a more basic three piece kind of setup. It’s interesting to come back to a place you were but you’re coming back to it with way more tools than you had when you first started."

Interesting, indeed. :hail: :rush:

I hope your wrong...i hope they do repeat themselves after Clockwork Angels
  • Like 1

Thanks dude! What 7 albums haven't you heard yet? That's so exciting!

I have yet to hear:

Hold Your Fire

Presto

Roll The Bones

Counterparts

Test For Echo

Vapor Trails (bothe versions)

Feedback (EP/ALBUM/WHATEVER)

I want to but it just seems exhausting!

But does that mean it should necessarily be counted as an authentic, true Rush album like 2112 or A Farewell To Kings? Yes, recorded in a studio, but I wouldn't fret if somebody discounted it as a proper album. Its more of a curio, an odd but likeable one.

But on the other hand I can see why you might decide it does count, but I never hear anybody talk about the transition Rush made from Vapor Trails to Feedback. Rather, its VP to Snakes ans Arrows. Feedback is just an oddity, much like Toto's Through The Looking Glass. Its nice they made it, but it is Rush the band members having fun, rather than Rush themselves.

Despite the marketing, most seem to regard CA the 19th album, as do I.

You know Toto as well? I think we are going to be pals! :)

I LOVE TOTO! Favourite albums are Fahrenheit, Tambu and Turn Back.

Definitely another concept album. Acoustic preferably.

As long as they are feeling inspired, their next effort will probably be good.

The most logical progression I forsee, remembering Geddy's quote about reapplying their gathered knowledge as a trio, would be a heavy, less-cluttered album (sounding like CA) with some accompaniment like strings or brass or voices.

THAT would be cool.

I guess I have to say maybe. I wasn't more or less excited when CA was revealed to be a concept album, I just wanted it to be good.

All I want is another album, period. Concept, theme, or random grab bag, whatever they feel like.

Same! Although I think CA would be hard for any band to follow up at this point, I just hope Rush release music they are confident about, perhaps shifting their sound in a different direction, maybe even a new producer?!