Should Rush Studio Album #20 be Another Concept Piece?

Holdyourfireal

Should the Next Record be a Concept Album?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Next Record be a Concept Album?

• Yes!
    • Maybe...
    • No!

That depends on whether or not you view Feedback as an official album, an EP or, being an album made soley of covers, an obscure curio no more legitimate as an album than a live cd/dvd.

I view CA as their 19th release.

That depends on whether or not you view Feedback as an official album, an EP or, being an album made soley of covers, an obscure curio no more legitimate as an album than a live cd/dvd.

That's fine, but Feedback was recorded by Rush in the studio. :D

• Like 1

But does that mean it should necessarily be counted as an authentic, true Rush album like 2112 or A Farewell To Kings? Yes, recorded in a studio, but I wouldn't fret if somebody discounted it as a proper album. Its more of a curio, an odd but likeable one.

But on the other hand I can see why you might decide it does count, but I never hear anybody talk about the transition Rush made from Vapor Trails to Feedback. Rather, its VP to Snakes ans Arrows. Feedback is just an oddity, much like Toto's Through The Looking Glass. Its nice they made it, but it is Rush the band members having fun, rather than Rush themselves.

Despite the marketing, most seem to regard CA the 19th album, as do I.

Yeah, I agree, feedback counts. I consider anything an album if it has more than one song (obviously not counting one song epic albums), is not a single release, and contains no material that has already been released by the band (unless it is majorly changed, or is brought back to focus when moving to a major label because they believe in that song etc.) or is planning to be released later (i.e. an album that contains a couple of songs that will be released on a later album to tide over fans does not count). So by that definition I count Feedback as an album. I have also heard of an artist or two whose first album was short enough to be considered by the masses an E.P. but yet the artist themselves considered it their first full album because it completely original material not to be rereleased on an upcoming longer album.

• Like 3

I want one, extended conceptual piece like 2112, Hemishperes, or Lamneth. They don't have to do a full album...the 2112 or CoS formula would be perfect in my mind.

And to be clear, that doesn't mean they need to go to the 1976 sound. Stay modern, advance your sound, but do it in a different format.

Oh, and don't overlayer the guitars, have too many Geddys, and mix the album well :D

We are on the same page here. Since it would be there 21st studio album, it would be nice if they named it Blackjack and had a 21 minute suite based on gambling. The rest of the album could mimic their different styles in the 70s, 80s, 90s and present with two instrumentals: Something like below:

http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/w387/losingit2k/d1bc6857-62b8-4002-a28a-21052ec719dc.jpg?t=1382496950

http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/w387/losingit2k/blackjackRUSH2-online1-Copy.jpg?t=1382412337

:pokercards: :codger: :pokercards:

Edited by losingit2k
  • Like 1

Just pretend that "full length" appears before "studio album" in the thread title.

Rush is on a hot streak right now. This is a good period of time for them to keep writing. But it's not necessary to deliver an entire LP. If the songs are coming to them then they should just go with it. They don't have to force an entire album but maybe they will naturally be writing some songs. I think an EP of like 6 songs would be something that would kind of be an extension of the Clockwork Angels sound but also a bridge to the direction they may take next. It would also be a great way to experiment. But only an EP would be good for us Rush fans if it were realeased in the middle of these five year periods we now wait for new Rush albums. And what I would be very interested in seeing is Rush doing an EP with Terry Brown working the production with the band. I have to laugh though because Rush doing 6 songs is still a full length album for them due to the duration of their songs. But Moving Pictures is 7 songs, Permanent Waves is 6. I think following this concept would be the best way to follow up Clockwork Angels.
  • Like 1

Yeah, I agree, feedback counts. I consider anything an album if it has more than one song (obviously not counting one song epic albums), is not a single release, and contains no material that has already been released by the band (unless it is majorly changed, or is brought back to focus when moving to a major label because they believe in that song etc.) or is planning to be released later (i.e. an album that contains a couple of songs that will be released on a later album to tide over fans does not count). So by that definition I count Feedback as an album. I have also heard of an artist or two whose first album was short enough to be considered by the masses an E.P. but yet the artist themselves considered it their first full album because it completely original material not to be rereleased on an upcoming longer album.

Well if you put it that way, well, Segue is humbled!

Agree with many of you fine folks here.

I'd prefer for them to take their time, some good R&R, and do a concept album based on hockey.

With RUSH we'd get a baseball album before a hockey album.

LOL, touche'! :notworthy:

Personally, I find it difficult to speculate on what Rush will be inspired to do next. I certainly think they've earned the right to revel in CA for a little while...that was an enormous artistic achievement for them on several levels.

I think most people here can agree CA was a wonderful gift for us! It's also possible that kind of 'emptied the cupboard' for a while, creatively.

Rush already have a lot of ideas immortalized in their considerable catalog....Neil in particular has covered so much ground regarding his interests and experiences I wonder how many significant concepts he has left to farm for another concept album?

Hell, we might just get an album that is a diverse collection of unrelated material, like all the different colors of a Rubik's Cube.

It's all up to the boys, isn't it? :) Even if they chose (or were unable) to release any more new material, CA would be an amazing swan song on a Hall of Fame career that deeply touched millions all over the world.

Ok I have made a decision on the subject. Don't call Peter Collins. Don't call Rupert Hine. Give Terry Brown a call and I will gladly accept and probably enjoy the outcome. That is the only combo that is batting 1000 so far........... :codger:

That's a very titilating thought.

How about Terry and Nick co-produce?

Either way.....bringing Terry back in is interesting. Though it seems Nick has been getting them back to their roots himself the last two albums, while still moving forward.

I'm done with Nick after his crappy mix of CA. Get Bottrill to do it.

Edited by Rushman14

We all should get together and start sending Neil science fiction and fantasy books. Get him in the right mindset. :D

But he's read them all. Every one of them! :LOL:

:D

It's clear to me Rush won't do another concept/rock opera record again. They aren't into repeating themselves, so CA will be the first and last if it's kind. I think the next album may continue with the power trio sound they went for on a lot of on CA. I think what Geddy recently said here is telling:

"I think what was really interesting about the post-synthesizer period was the fact that we had garnered a lot of musicality through that era and now we were trying to reapply it in a more basic three piece kind of setup. It’s interesting to come back to a place you were but you’re coming back to it with way more tools than you had when you first started."

Interesting, indeed. :hail: :rush:

• Like 3

It's clear to me Rush won't do another concept/rock opera record again. They aren't into repeating themselves, so CA will be the first and last if it's kind. I think the next album may continue with the power trio sound they went for on a lot of on CA. I think what Geddy recently said here is telling:

"I think what was really interesting about the post-synthesizer period was the fact that we had garnered a lot of musicality through that era and now we were trying to reapply it in a more basic three piece kind of setup. It’s interesting to come back to a place you were but you’re coming back to it with way more tools than you had when you first started."

Interesting, indeed. :hail: :rush:

Well absolutely. They got better and better at their instruments with all of that playing. With maturing musically they experimented and then decided that the three piece sound was what they were best at. I'm hoping this same circle of musical life will happen again and they will turn it back once more in album production. I'm more inclined to think that they may do a bit more of the same album concept stuff since CA has done so well. I could be wrong and they just go off and do an album of individual songs again that have nothing to do with each other. But they do the concept thing so well. I just hope they keep expanding on it.

• Like 1

Thanks dude! What 7 albums haven't you heard yet? That's so exciting!

• Like 1

It's an EP, not an album. End of story.

But does that mean it should necessarily be counted as an authentic, true Rush album like 2112 or A Farewell To Kings? Yes, recorded in a studio, but I wouldn't fret if somebody discounted it as a proper album. Its more of a curio, an odd but likeable one.

But on the other hand I can see why you might decide it does count, but I never hear anybody talk about the transition Rush made from Vapor Trails to Feedback. Rather, its VP to Snakes ans Arrows. Feedback is just an oddity, much like Toto's Through The Looking Glass. Its nice they made it, but it is Rush the band members having fun, rather than Rush themselves.

Despite the marketing, most seem to regard CA the 19th album, as do I.

You know Toto as well? I think we are going to be pals! :)

• Like 1