What songs would you remove from Vapor Trails to make it a stronger album?

Czarcasm

Hey there good people of TRF!

I haven't posted here in a while, but the new Vapor Trails remix opened up my eyes to how great this record really is. Songs like Secret Touch, Nocturne, Freeze sound incredible now instead of the muddy ear destroying sound they had earlier. I now like this record more than almost all of their 90's/millenial output.

I have found however that the album is way too long for one comfortable sitting and I've dumped a couple of songs from the itunes playlists I've made.

10 track album:

SIDE ONE

One Little Victory

Secret Touch

Ghost Rider

The Stars Look Down

Vapor Trail

SIDE TWO

Earthshine

Sweet Miracle

Nocturne

Freeze

Out of The Cradle

I've found that an 8 song album works also if you ditch Ghost Rider and Freeze, which are the songs I think drag the most.

So what are your thoughts? Are there any songs on VT you can't stand or have you done something similar with your track listings?

If I had the job of remastering VT I'd have removed the songs and left the digital artefacts and interference.

Winner

Tony R was lowered into the River Styx by his mother TeaTeas to make him invincible. When she did it though she lowered him in by his ears, so his body is invulnerable and unimpaired except for his ears which are his fatal weakness. And by now he looks and hears just like George out of the popular children's TV show rainbow! :joker:

• Like 2

never cared much for The Stars Looked Down. Too much of a distraction when he wails "What is the meaning OF THIS". He sounds like his testicles are being squeezed and the tempo changes too much. Other than that, I'm cool. I mean.....now that it's finally done properly

Clem

I haven't posted here in a while, but the new Vapor Trails remix opened up my eyes to how great this record really is. Songs like Secret Touch, Nocturne, Freeze sound incredible now instead of the muddy ear destroying sound they had earlier. I now like this record more than almost all of their 90's/millenial output.

I have found however that the album is way too long for one comfortable sitting and I've dumped a couple of songs from the itunes playlists I've made.

10 track album:

SIDE ONE

One Little Victory

Secret Touch

Ghost Rider

The Stars Look Down

Vapor Trail

SIDE TWO

Earthshine

Sweet Miracle

Nocturne

Freeze

Out of The Cradle

I've found that an 8 song album works also if you ditch Ghost Rider and Freeze, which are the songs I think drag the most.

So what are your thoughts? Are there any songs on VT you can't stand or have you done something similar with your track listings?

:no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no:

• Like 2

10 track album:

SIDE ONE

One Little Victory

Secret Touch

Ghost Rider

The Stars Look Down

Vapor Trail

SIDE TWO

Earthshine

Sweet Miracle

Nocturne

Freeze

Out of The Cradle

Do you wanna elaborate a little there, champ? You're the guy who likes metal, right? This album rocks pretty hard and the only songs I removed were Peaceable Kingdom, How It Is and Ceiling Unlimited.

10 track album:

SIDE ONE

One Little Victory

Secret Touch

Ghost Rider

The Stars Look Down

Vapor Trail

SIDE TWO

Earthshine

Sweet Miracle

Nocturne

Freeze

Out of The Cradle

Do you wanna elaborate a little there, champ? You're the guy who likes metal, right? This album rocks pretty hard and the only songs I removed were Peaceable Kingdom, How It Is and Ceiling Unlimited.

Treedork sees metal where more savvy people see shiny plastic.

10 track album:

SIDE ONE

One Little Victory

Secret Touch

Ghost Rider

The Stars Look Down

Vapor Trail

SIDE TWO

Earthshine

Sweet Miracle

Nocturne

Freeze

Out of The Cradle

i.e., Three of the best songs! :yes:

• Like 2

10 track album:

SIDE ONE

One Little Victory

Secret Touch

Ghost Rider

The Stars Look Down

Vapor Trail

SIDE TWO

Earthshine

Sweet Miracle

Nocturne

Freeze

Out of The Cradle

:codger: :codger: :codger: :codger: :codger:

10 track album:

SIDE ONE

One Little Victory

Secret Touch

Ghost Rider

The Stars Look Down

Vapor Trail

SIDE TWO

Earthshine

Sweet Miracle

Nocturne

Freeze

Out of The Cradle

Ceiling Unlimited is one of my favorites! :D-13:

The tunes Ghost Rider, How It Is, Peaceable Kingdom and The Stars Look Down were my least favourite tracks, but on the remixed edition they sound much better.

10 track album:

SIDE ONE

One Little Victory

Secret Touch

Ghost Rider

The Stars Look Down

Vapor Trail

SIDE TWO

Earthshine

Sweet Miracle

Nocturne

Freeze

Out of The Cradle

BRIGHT, SHINY metal! :yes:

Took freeze out my vt playlist a while ago. just grated on my ears at times like fingernails on chalkboard. album doesnt need it anyway still great. totally lovin olv remix especially.

10 track album:

SIDE ONE

One Little Victory

Secret Touch

Ghost Rider

The Stars Look Down

Vapor Trail

SIDE TWO

Earthshine

Sweet Miracle

Nocturne

Freeze

Out of The Cradle

BRIGHT, SHINY metal! :yes:

Aye!

:haz:

:blaze:

10 track album:

SIDE ONE

One Little Victory

Secret Touch

Ghost Rider

The Stars Look Down

Vapor Trail

SIDE TWO

Earthshine

Sweet Miracle

Nocturne

Freeze

Out of The Cradle

Ceiling Unlimited is one of my favorites! :D-13:

The tunes Ghost Rider, How It Is, Peaceable Kingdom and The Stars Look Down were my least favourite tracks, but on the remixed edition they sound much better.

Always liked How It Is. It actually sounds much better on the original, Peaceable Kingdom has improved though.

Edited by Steevo
  • Like 2

If I had the job of remastering VT I'd have removed the songs and left the digital artefacts and interference.

Winner

Snort!

never cared much for The Stars Looked Down. Too much of a distraction when he wails "What is the meaning OF THIS". He sounds like his testicles are being squeezed and the tempo changes too much. Other than that, I'm cool. I mean.....now that it's finally done properly

Clem

Classic Geddy, to insert some weird vocal thing to kill a vibe. "Stars..." has some great lyrics from Neil and is a killer track otherwise.

Well, Peaceable Kingdom never really clicked with me. I just got the remix on vinyl yesterday, but I only had about 30 minutes to listen to it so I just picked and chose my favorites to listen to (Ceiling Unlimited, Vapor Trail, Secret Touch, Earthshine, Nocturne, and Freeze), so I don't know if the remix made Peaceable Kingdom much better or not, but I also bought the CD today, so on my car trip to Brandon I will be able to give another verdict.

Clem

Classic Geddy, to insert some weird vocal thing to kill a vibe. "Stars..." has some great lyrics from Neil and is a killer track otherwise.

lol, right on! While on the subject another major "Geddy-spoil" shows up in the verses of Good News First, it never gets easier after so many listens. Ugh!! :boo hiss: The remainder of GNF is perfection however :)

10 track album:

SIDE ONE

One Little Victory

Secret Touch

Ghost Rider

The Stars Look Down

Vapor Trail

SIDE TWO

Earthshine

Sweet Miracle

Nocturne

Freeze

Out of The Cradle

15 No!s and you still need him to elaborate? :LOL:

Every song is essential.

I'll elaborate. IMO, there's not a weak song in the bunch. It took me a couple years for Sweet Miracle to click, so I didn't always feel that way. Out of their 20 studio albums, VT is among the top ten.

• Like 1

The only one that's a complete waste is How It Is. I don't like One Little Victory either, but it'd be a shame to lose that fierce intro.

There are quite a few other songs on the album that I could live without (Stars, PK, Cradle, Nocturne), but they're decent and undeserving of execution.

If I were to whittle the track list down to the essentials, I'd be left with an EP...... a short EP.