Concert Format?

Jaminbenb

Just curious what others think about how they've formatted shows in the recent past? I was talking to a friend not long ago, and we were talking about them possibly doing another entire album like they did with MP and most of Clockwork Angels. (He tends to think that Permanent Waves is next since they've done MOST of it live already, and people have been asking for Jacob's Ladder, thinking that Different Strings is the only one they haven't done yet, and wouldn't be tough to do)

But the question that came up was; do you like the format of playing an entire album top to bottom?

And as a follow up, would you rather they DIDN'T do a whole album, and mix things up a little more?

My friends attitude of the last "tour" was that as much as he liked hearing a lot of CA, he thinks that this part of their career they should just do a lot more other stuff and "give the people what they want" so to speak...I was more of that way of thinking when they did MP...but was glad that they pulled Camera Eye out one more time, and figured that if they DIDN'T do it in that format, we never would have heard it again live!

Personally...as I've said before, I'll take what I can get from them at this point, as long as they keep touring!

Just curious on people's thought...

• Like 1

Not sure about whole albums, but Ged stated in a somewhat recent interview (during the CA tour iirc) that if there ever is another Rush tour, the three hour show we have all been spoiled by is going to be a thing of the past. He said it's too physically demanding to continue doing three hour shows.

It depends on the album. I like Presto, but it's not the sort of album I'd want to see them play all the way through. It isn't strong from top to bottom, and some of its songs don't seem like they'd be all that thrilling live. Permament Waves, on the other hand, would be great. All of the tunes are good, and most of them have proven to be pleasers live. I was really happy that they played lots of CA tunes each night during the last tour. It's an awesome album, and most of the songs came off well in concert. If anything, I wish they'd played right through the whole thing.

wouldn't it be cool if they went out with someone like Porcupine Tree , have them open and do shorter show around Permanent Waves

It'd be cool if Rush brought back an opening band, and one that at least 2/3 of the band like. Porcupine Tree would be great, but we'll probably see the next Rush album or tour before Porcupine Tree get back together. Dream Theater's a more probable opening band, and they've been on record saying that they want the opening slot if Rush returned to such format.

wouldn't it be cool if they went out with someone like Porcupine Tree , have them open and do shorter show around Permanent Waves

It'd be cool if Rush brought back an opening band, and one that at least 2/3 of the band like. Porcupine Tree would be great, but we'll probably see the next Rush album or tour before Porcupine Tree get back together. Dream Theater's a more probable opening band, and they've been on record saying that they want the opening slot if Rush returned to such format.

I'm sure there are quite a few bands willing to open up for Rush. Foo Fighters would be near the top of the list.

• Like 1

I'm sure there are quite a few bands willing to open up for Rush. Foo Fighters would be near the top of the list.

I agree, even though I would prefer Dream Theater, I think the Foo Fighter will by on the slot as opening bands. :codger:

Rush should go on tour with a format like Mayhem Fest or Summer Slaughter. Show starts at 3 or 4 and bands play until 8 and then the headliner comes out for a few hours. There are a ton of big name bands that would be willing to play for half an hour if it means opening for RUSH.

I was skeptical before seeing the show about the amount of clockwork angels material in the second set, but it turned out to be very enjoyable. I do however think, that it's their strongest album in years, and I would be less interested in hearing snakes and arrows or vapour trails in such detail.

I would like to see them doing more complete albums - Power Windows would be top of my list, roll the bones would be another contender.

I think it would be an interesting format if they broke the show up into 3 sets. It would be the same number of songs as previous, but they get 15 - 20 minute rests in between each set. So, for example this past tour they could have had the 1st Set, CA Set, and then the Oldies Set. I don't know if this would cut back on the strain on them all, but I don't see why they shouldn't try it...

Just curious what others think about how they've formatted shows in the recent past? I was talking to a friend not long ago, and we were talking about them possibly doing another entire album like they did with MP and most of Clockwork Angels. (He tends to think that Permanent Waves is next since they've done MOST of it live already, and people have been asking for Jacob's Ladder, thinking that Different Strings is the only one they haven't done yet, and wouldn't be tough to do)

But the question that came up was; do you like the format of playing an entire album top to bottom?

And as a follow up, would you rather they DIDN'T do a whole album, and mix things up a little more?

My friends attitude of the last "tour" was that as much as he liked hearing a lot of CA, he thinks that this part of their career they should just do a lot more other stuff and "give the people what they want" so to speak...I was more of that way of thinking when they did MP...but was glad that they pulled Camera Eye out one more time, and figured that if they DIDN'T do it in that format, we never would have heard it again live!

Personally...as I've said before, I'll take what I can get from them at this point, as long as they keep touring!

Just curious on people's thought...

Like you, I think the only way they'll play Jacob's Ladder is a part of PeW in its Entirety in 2015 for its 35th Anniversary. There still plenty of time to play anything else they want including all their instrumentals if they want to protect Geddy's voice.

Set 1:

R41: The Time Machine Too Tour.

Set 1:

R41 Instrumedley: (Working Man, By-Tor & the Snowdog, The Necromancer, A Passage to Bangkok, Cygnus X-1, Hemispheres (Prelude))

Limelight

Caravan

Where's My Thing?

Leave that Thing Alone

Main Monkey Business

Limbo

Show Don't Tell

Clockwork Angels

2112 (O/T/F)

Set 2:

The Spirit of Radio

Freewill

Jacob's Ladder

Entre Nous

Different Stings (Extended Solo)

Natural Science

The Anarchist

Driven (w/Bass Solo)

Mal-Nar

Headlong Flight

YYZ / Drum Solo

Hope/ The Garden

Xanadu (Entire)

Encore:

Far Cry

Tom Sawyer

La Villa Strangiatto

:codger:

My friends attitude of the last "tour" was that as much as he liked hearing a lot of CA, he thinks that this part of their career they should just do a lot more other stuff and "give the people what they want" so to speak...

The problem with that is that a handful of us here can't agree on "what we want." LOL

Personally, I'd love to hear all 8 primary instrumental tunes and a new one or two, that would be easier on Ged's voice and then they could work in whatever.

I published a list of one song representing each album a while ago, including all the instrumentals, but that quickly turns into another 3 hour show.

Maybe two opening bands, Dream Theater and Foo Fighters. Make it a mini-Superfest.

Foo Fighters command too great a crowd to serve as an opening act for Rush. If anything, the Foos could probably draw more city-to-city than Rush.

Nothing against our favorite band at all, but the Foos are one of the most popular bands, if not the biggest rock band out there today. As cool as Dave and Taylor are, it would have to be a co-headlining tour, because I think the Foos are past the point of serving as anyone's opener for a full tour.

• Like 1

I would like to have more full albums, but I actually prefer if they were played out of order and scattered throughout the set. I remember hoping that the time machine tour would be like that and wanted very badly to have the camera eye open the second set.

Foo Fighters command too great a crowd to serve as an opening act for Rush. If anything, the Foos could probably draw more city-to-city than Rush.

Nothing against our favorite band at all, but the Foos are one of the most popular bands, if not the biggest rock band out there today. As cool as Dave and Taylor are, it would have to be a co-headlining tour, because I think the Foos are past the point of serving as anyone's opener for a full tour.

I thought so too but didn't know. Thanks!

I don't really go to many concerts anymore, I'm highly selective. When I hear that Rush is touring tho, my laptop sits spinning mid-air over the seat I was just in as I'm out to get tix. Proverbially speaking of course.

Concur. Foo Fighters sell out arenas so I just don't see splitting the cash like that though I suppose Dave and Taylor might be willing to open the shows for fun and for the enjoyment of sharing the stage with their heroes. I like the three sets idea put forth by pfrushfan0122 as well. Of course I want the full 2 1/2 hour show still so any idea that would keep it that way works for me. If they do a full album, I want Hemispheres but since that ain't gonna happen I'd for sure enjoy PeW or Signals in their entirety.

• Like 1

My friends attitude of the last "tour" was that as much as he liked hearing a lot of CA, he thinks that this part of their career they should just do a lot more other stuff and "give the people what they want" so to speak...

The problem with that is that a handful of us here can't agree on "what we want." LOL

Personally, I'd love to hear all 8 primary instrumental tunes and a new one or two, that would be easier on Ged's voice and then they could work in whatever.

I published a list of one song representing each album a while ago, including all the instrumentals, but that quickly turns into another 3 hour show.

Maybe two opening bands, Dream Theater and Foo Fighters. Make it a mini-Superfest.

I was thinking spreading out the instrumentals (like they did with the drum solos) to give Ged's "aging pipes" a break like Neils aching back! I've been actually surprised that they haven't been doing more of them lately....

@losingit2k

Unfortunately, unless a revelation happens with the guys in terms of managing a nice long show, I fear the set may look more like this....

R41: The Time Machine Too Tour.

Set 1:

R41 Instrumedley: (Working Man, By-Tor & the Snowdog, The Necromancer, A Passage to Bangkok, Cygnus X-1, Hemispheres (Prelude))

Limelight

Caravan

Where's My Thing?

Leave that Thing Alone

Main Monkey Business

Limbo

Show Don't Tell

Clockwork Angels

YYZ/Drum Solo

The Spirit of Radio

2112 (O/T/F)

Encore: