The Garden!

English Muffin

Geddy did struggle to sing this song at all the Clockwork Angels shows I saw. I think he had difficulty coping with the emotion.

I think you're right there; he did seem very emotional during this song at the show I saw, and in a lot of Youtube movies of the CA tour.

I think the pitch problems were definitely because he couldn't hear the monitors clearly- he sang this in tune when I saw it, and he was in tune throughout the show.

The care he took to rest his voice between gigs seems to have paid off- I thought his voice sounded great on this tour. He seems to put a lot more emotion into his singing than he used to, in my opinion.

• Like 4

I truly hate to be the one to bring this up but Geddy goes flat several times during the song. Specially during the verses and in contrast of the backups. Sorry, I'm really not being negative just objective, not trolling here just disappointed. You can tell its one of the last songs in the show. He sounds tired on this song. Other than that the song sounds flawless. The Video quality is simply superperb! Oh well you decapitate my head now. :scared:

Geddy goes flat? Several times? No, we don't decapitate fools.. we just pity them. :LOL:

He does flat a lot. but so what. He still rocks!

Yes, I agree he doen't sing flawlessly anymore. LI2K may have hated to say it, but he probably loved being the first one. I know, fawning over a band you love is boring to some and foolish to others. I find it not very interesting to nitpick at the imperfections of something you love. I mean, some people are filled with emotion in this thread, then here comes LI2K with his 'I hate to burst your bubble but Geddy sucks' post. Eh, whatever dude. :eyeroll:

I never said Geddy Sucks! He one of the best bassist/ Composers even keyboardist in the rock world and I never had a problem with his vocals until I heard this clip. I didn't even had a problem with his vocals on TMT as other have stated. Anyway, I never said he sucks.You said that to place me in a bad light. I said he went flat several times and believe me that what pretty hard for me to do. The man is human, it happens. specially after singing for two hours after a 40 year career. You can go a ahead and lie to yourself if you like but I don't need too. It you notice my first post on this thread I was being very positive and truly hoping someone else would bring this up other than me cause I just Love this band but I'm not going to dilute myself blindly either. His vocals are not always on pitch during this song. I'm not stating that to be confrontational or negative for the sake of being negative, Its just a fact. Its like Neil Dropping a stick or Alex popping a string. It happens. Not very often with RUSH but it happens. :codger:

I know you never said Geddy sucks. I was loosely paraphrasing. I had listened to it twice last night for the first time, on my phone using my good quality headphones. I didn't hear anything wrong with Geddy's vocals, and I thought you were nuts. I don't know how you heard it, but I just now listened on my good headphones to both the cd version, then this video on HD quality just to be sure I'm convinced I know what I'm talking about. I will honestly say Geddy sounds fine live. His delivery was not as strong throughout as the studio version, of course, because he'd just sang for two hours before this song. I didn't hear anything that I would term as flat, if your definition of flat is dull and lifeless. His tone did not seem to be in doubt. I didn't mean for it to seem personal, so sorry. We don't have to debate it and just agree to disagree here. Rush on! :cheers:

No, No, No. Geddy always sings with emotion and I've never heard him sing dull. I'm meant flat as in below the pitch. As in not quite in tune or hitting the right note. A sour note if you will. You can hear it right off the bat on the third note he sings. The word "World" which granted is a hard word to sing, cause the tounge want to go to the "er" sound ususally make the note flat or below the pitch. But this wasn't the only place this happens. He's below the pitch on several occassion. Regardless, he more than makes up for with everything else he does. Anyway RUSH on! :cheers:

Edited by losingit2k

Calm down people. Geddy Lee is 60 years old, of course dosen' t have the same vocal range he had when he was 20. Or 40. That happens to everyone, sadly.

With that in mind, i think he sounds amazing. Be grateful that the band are still playing. Or shut the f**k up!

Oh I'm very grateful that RUSH is still around, recording and Touring. But if I hear something that obviosuly not in tune, I'm not going to sit idelely by and state the contrary just to make everyone happy. Geddy and RUSH has accomplished more in 40 years than any band I know. But this stretch of touring has gone way to long and its evident in his voice. Since the Snake and Arrows tour his voice has slowly deteriorated. I was one of the people that was strongly calling for an R40 Tour. Not no more! Geddy needs a break to allow his voice to heal. Its evident in this song. I'll be fine with and R41 or R42 like Geddy Stated.

Geddy did struggle to sing this song at all the Clockwork Angels shows I saw. I think he had difficulty coping with the emotion.

I think you're right there; he did seem very emotional during this song at the show I saw, and in a lot of Youtube movies of the CA tour.

I think the pitch problems were definitely because he couldn't hear the monitors clearly- he sang this in tune when I saw it, and he was in tune throughout the show.

The care he took to rest his voice between gigs seems to have paid off- I thought his voice sounded great on this tour. He seems to put a lot more emotion into his singing than he used to, in my opinion.

I agree, I saw him perform this song three times this tour and it sounded flawless each time but that isn't that case on this show. You can clearly hear him struggling to be in pitch and sticking his finger in his ear to hear the monitor mix better. Geddy's a professional, he knows what he doing. He even knew he was going flat (In Pitch). I'm just surprised they released it like this when maybe he might have sang it better on the next night they recorded. :codger:

I truly hate to be the one to bring this up but Geddy goes flat several times during the song. Specially during the verses and in contrast of the backups. Sorry, I'm really not being negative just objective, not trolling here just disappointed. You can tell its one of the last songs in the show. He sounds tired on this song. Other than that the song sounds flawless. The Video quality is simply superperb! Oh well you decapitate my head now. :scared:

Geddy goes flat? Several times? No, we don't decapitate fools.. we just pity them. :LOL:

Yes, I agree he doen't sing flawlessly anymore. LI2K may have hated to say it, but he probably loved being the first one. I know, fawning over a band you love is boring to some and foolish to others. I find it not very interesting to nitpick at the imperfections of something you love. I mean, some people are filled with emotion in this thread, then here comes LI2K with his 'I hate to burst your bubble but Geddy sucks' post. Eh, whatever dude. :eyeroll:

I never said Geddy Sucks! He one of the best bassist/ Composers even keyboardist in the rock world and I never had a problem with his vocals until I heard this clip. I didn't even had a problem with his vocals on TMT as other have stated. Anyway, I never said he sucks.You said that to place me in a bad light. I said he went flat several times and believe me that what pretty hard for me to do. The man is human, it happens. specially after singing for two hours after a 40 year career. You can go a ahead and lie to yourself if you like but I don't need too. It you notice my first post on this thread I was being very positive and truly hoping someone else would bring this up other than me cause I just Love this band but I'm not going to dilute myself blindly either. His vocals are not always on pitch during this song. I'm not stating that to be confrontational or negative for the sake of being negative, Its just a fact. Its like Neil Dropping a stick or Alex popping a string. It happens. Not very often with RUSH but it happens. :codger:

I know you never said Geddy sucks. I was loosely paraphrasing. I had listened to it twice last night for the first time, on my phone using my good quality headphones. I didn't hear anything wrong with Geddy's vocals, and I thought you were nuts. I don't know how you heard it, but I just now listened on my good headphones to both the cd version, then this video on HD quality just to be sure I'm convinced I know what I'm talking about. I will honestly say Geddy sounds fine live. His delivery was not as strong throughout as the studio version, of course, because he'd just sang for two hours before this song. I didn't hear anything that I would term as flat, if your definition of flat is dull and lifeless. His tone did not seem to be in doubt. I didn't mean for it to seem personal, so sorry. We don't have to debate it and just agree to disagree here. Rush on! :cheers:

No, No, No. Geddy always sings with emotion and I've never heard him sing dull. I'm meant flat as in below the pitch. As in not quite in tune or hitting the right note. A sour note if you will. You can hear it right off the bat on the third note he sings. The word "World" which granted is a hard word to sing, cause the tounge want to go to the "er" sound ususally make the note flat or below the pitch. But this wasn't the only place this happens. He's below the pitch on several occassion. Regardless, he more than makes up for with everything else he does. Anyway RUSH on! :cheers:

Sorry, but did you just go from flat to tone issues? Do you mean perhaps he sings some parts in a slightly lower register than the album? I don't detect any issues with tone, pitch or yaw (ha). If you're saying Geddy is singing off-key, I couldn't whole heartedly disagree more. Oops, didn't we make up? Nevermind :LOL:

• Like 1

Sorry, but did you just go from flat to tone issues? Do you mean perhaps he sings some parts in a slightly lower register than the album? I don't detect any issues with tone, pitch or yaw (ha). If you're saying Geddy is singing off-key, I couldn't whole heartedly disagree more. Oops, didn't we make up? Nevermind :LOL:

To sing flat means to sing below the correct pitch, and to sing sharp means above the pitch. Geddy sings flat in this video, as is common in a low register.

• Like 2

It sounded amazing. They make it seem so easy to do.

Anyone else thought the camera cut way too often for such a slow song? I barely had a chance to absorb what's going on, let alone enjoy the image before it cut to another angle.

Edited by USB Connector
  • Like 4

To sing flat means to sing below the correct pitch, and to sing sharp means above the pitch. Geddy sings flat in this video, as is common in a low register.

He always does live. But he's gotten much better over time.

• Like 1

Its common to sing flat in low registers? :facepalm:

I find it so. The notes seem hard to hit and people seem to go lower than they need. At least on the live singing competitions that my wife likes. They always butcher the low notes and hit the high ones.

• Like 1

I find it so. The notes seem hard to hit and people seem to go lower than they need. At least on the live singing competitions that my wife likes. They always butcher the low notes and hit the high ones.

It all comes down to the placement of the vowels. I try not to watch those shows your wife likes. When it come to singing I'm very much like Simon! :codger:

Anyone else thought the camera cut way too often for such a slow song? I barely had a chance to absorb what's going on, let alone enjoy the image before it cut to another angle.

This is EXACTLY how I felt. While I was watching, my dominant thought was "At least it sounds like the mix is good." I was thinking that if the cutting is like that throughout the DVD, I'll be sticking mostly to the audio recording. I loved both the Snakes And Arrows and Time Machine DVDs because for the most part they did a good job with appropriately timing the length of a shot so that it can be read and taken in, and with coordinating camera movement within shots to help the eye connect one image to the next. I found this collection of poorly-timed and arbitrarily juxtaposed shots to be quite disappointing.

• Like 2

This is EXACTLY how I felt. While I was watching, my dominant thought was "At least it sounds like the mix is good." I was thinking that if the cutting is like that throughout the DVD, I'll be sticking mostly to the audio recording. I loved both the Snakes And Arrows and Time Machine DVDs because for the most part they did a good job with appropriately timing the length of a shot so that it can be read and taken in, and with coordinating camera movement within shots to help the eye connect one image to the next. I found this collection of poorly-timed and arbitrarily juxtaposed shots to be quite disappointing.

Agreed. I really liked that in the TM tour they panned and moved the camera more than they cut to a camera which just had a close up of the thing you were looking at. I felt like I was watching a slower version of that infamous iron maiden live recording where they switch to a different angle every two seconds.

Agreed. I really liked that in the TM tour they panned and moved the camera more than they cut to a camera which just had a close up of the thing you were looking at. I felt like I was watching a slower version of that infamous iron maiden live recording where they switch to a different angle every two seconds.

That's what I'm most worried about regarding this DVD. If this is how they cut a slow song, the fast songs could be potentially seizure-inducing!

I have to admit, that shot of Alex playing the lead as the Camera slowly tracks by is an incredible shot. :codger:

There are definitely some good-looking individual shots, it's true, but bad shots edited well work much better than good shots edited badly. I find that to be a big problem in film and video these days -- advanced camera technology makes relatively easy to make the footage look good, but many people don't seem to understand that there's a lot more to editing than simply sticking together good shots.

• Like 1

I loved the camera shots and didn't find the editing as problematic as on other Rush DVDs. Lots of long cuts with a moving camera...I'm not sure what you guys are seeing. This looked amazing to me.
  • Like 3

I loved the camera shots and didn't find the editing as problematic as on other Rush DVDs. Lots of long cuts with a moving camera...I'm not sure what you guys are seeing. This looked amazing to me.

What's your ranking of Rush videos with regards to editing?

You guys are nuts. The editing is great. There are some faster cuts towards the end when the intensity of the song builds. Just as it should be. Before that there are some great slow tracking shots and a nice mix of close up and whole stage shots. Well done.

Yeah, I'm not sure what the problem is with the editing - it all seems appropriate to me.

As far as Geds vocals - he sounds like he's singing live. The performance is nuanced and emotive.

The unfortunate result of the TMT is that his vocals are now being held to an even higher standard. If this were released prior to TMT I doubt anyone would be discussing how flat he goes in the "er" part of "world" ;)

That's what I'm most worried about regarding this DVD. If this is how they cut a slow song, the fast songs could be potentially seizure-inducing!

I have to admit, that shot of Alex playing the lead as the Camera slowly tracks by is an incredible shot. :codger:

There are definitely some good-looking individual shots, it's true, but bad shots edited well work much better than good shots edited badly. I find that to be a big problem in film and video these days -- advanced camera technology makes relatively easy to make the footage look good, but many people don't seem to understand that there's a lot more to editing than simply sticking together good shots.

I was wondering how you felt of the audiance shots with someones head or Torso in the way blocking the view. There are a few in this clip. There's a really bad one around 3:47. Granted they are short and I know they do this to give the film a live feel but I just find it distracting. If I'm paying for a DVD I want to be in the front row, on stage, overhead and always completely unobstructed. I get enough heads in my way actual concerts thank you. :codger:

It is interesting to note how much the clarity of the mix and microscope of HD really magnify every detail of his vocal, for better or worse. I doubt that this clip of the same performance would yield as much criticism.

Oddly, you are right. That vocal seems somehow better. I guess like an aging woman in dark light, sometimes less clarity and detail is a good thing.

• Like 1