2014 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Nominees announced...

Snaked

I am a big Yes fan but a bigger Rush fan. Their body of work is tremendous but their sound and style is not for everyone. Not unlike Rush, it is just over most people's heads. The one major difference between them is the endless lineup changes over the years. It's a bit of a turnoff but doesn't overshadow their accomplishments musically. If they get in, which they should have long ago, they may need a bigger stage!

Which leads to a bigger question, if Yes get inducted which lineup(s) get inducted? I think I'll be in the majority thinking that the Close To The Edge lineup has got to be inducted. And whether we like it or not, I think the 90125 lineup might also be inducted as well.

I think all members past and present in Yes will be included. The most successful lineup is the Anderson, White, Wakeman, Howe, and Squire lineup (Tales, Going for the one, Tormato, Magnification, and I'm sure others)

I am a big Yes fan but a bigger Rush fan. Their body of work is tremendous but their sound and style is not for everyone. Not unlike Rush, it is just over most people's heads. The one major difference between them is the endless lineup changes over the years. It's a bit of a turnoff but doesn't overshadow their accomplishments musically. If they get in, which they should have long ago, they may need a bigger stage!

Which leads to a bigger question, if Yes get inducted which lineup(s) get inducted? I think I'll be in the majority thinking that the Close To The Edge lineup has got to be inducted. And whether we like it or not, I think the 90125 lineup might also be inducted as well.

At least Anderson, Howe, Wakeman, Squire, White and Bruford. I have been listening a lot lately to the Yes Years 4. It's more 80's, kind of poppy(if that's a word) music, but I still like it and find it toe tapping and uplifting. I enjoy the Tormato/Going For The One era better however. I just can't get away from loving the pipe organ from the earlier Yes music. It's such a powerful sound and my mother plays piano/organ and I heard it a lot of it growing up in church. Awaken get's to me every time! Edited by Narpet

At least Anderson, Howe, Wakeman, Squire, White and Bruford.

Leaving out Trevor Rabin would be absolutely ridiculous. And Patrick Moraz deserves to be inducted for his playing on The Gates of Delirium alone. In any event, I don't know how this hall nonsense works, but I have a feeling circumstantial tree is right in thinking that all of the members over the years would be included.

• Like 2

I'm looking at the list of inductees....

Run DMC, Public Enemy and Modonna got into a rock hall of fame before these?!

Can...can we sue for false advertising?

• Like 1

I'm looking at the list of inductees....

Run DMC, Public Enemy and Modonna got into a rock hall of fame before these?!

Can...can we sue for false advertising?

I saw a great quote on a message board today.

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame has as much credibility as the Creation Museum.

Leaving out Trevor Rabin would be absolutely ridiculous. And Patrick Moraz deserves to be inducted for his playing on The Gates of Delirium alone. In any event, I don't know how this hall nonsense works, but I have a feeling circumstantial tree is right in thinking that all of the members over the years would be included.

I am not saying those members should not be inducted as part of the Yes "family" so to speak. I was just saying when I think of Yes, I think of those 6 members first and foremost. All who contributed to their incredible catalog of music over 45 years should be there front and center. Fire up the wide angle lens for the group photo!
  • Like 1

Pardon me for injecting this into the discussion but i can't help it.

I am listening to Tormato at this moment.

Damn, what a great piece of music!!!!!!!! Any group of people who wrote and performed this masterpiece should have been in the hall long ago!

Just one man's opinion as always

• Like 1

Yes! I can finally feel the Nirvana of a Kiss with that Linda Ronstadt on her Deep Purple lips as that Chic Peter Gabriel watches the Zombies devore Hall & Oats four Meters away from Cat Stevens and LL cool J while listening to The Paul Butterfield Blues Band at the N.W.A. :codger: Edited by losingit2k
  • Like 1

Why don't they just induct the Union line up like that most fans are happy! Thats if they get inducted as they should.

Yes! I can finally feel the Nirvana of a Kiss with that Linda Ronstadt on her Deep Purple lips as that Chic Peter Gabriel watches the Zombies devore Hall & Oats four Meters away from Cat Stevens and LL cool J while listening to The Paul Butterfield Blues Band at the N.W.A. :codger:

Good1. Inventive if nothing else. No comment on the previous post to yours?

Yes! I can finally feel the Nirvana of a Kiss with that Linda Ronstadt on her Deep Purple lips as that Chic Peter Gabriel watches the Zombies devore Hall & Oats four Meters away from Cat Stevens and LL cool J while listening to The Paul Butterfield Blues Band at the N.W.A. :codger:

Good1. Inventive if nothing else. No comment on the previous post to yours?

Lost case! Why Bother?

Here is my prediction:

Deep Purple (sure thing)

Yes (as close to a sure thing as you can get)

Peter Gabriel (wild card, but SHOULD get enough votes)

Cat Stevens

Linda Ronstadt (absofreakinlutely)

NWA

Nirvana will win the fan vote, but probably won't get the board vote.

Kiss won't get in and I'm not sure that they should

Chic deserves it and will probably get the nod

The rest... maybe Link Wray since the Hall always seems to vote in a weird one each year.

Yes gets in, then Geddy should be there presenter. Sound good? :) Edited by softfilter
  • Like 3

Yes gets in, then Geddy should be there presenter. Sound good? :)

Chris Squire: "I've never lost any sleep over it. And it's kind of, obviously, if it comes together, it'll be an honor -- and maybe we should get Rush to (laughs) give it to us (laughs)."

• Like 1

Linda Ronstadt is rock and roll? And for that matter, Cat Stevens?

Linda Ronstadt transcended musical genres.....her voice was that good. She was the best female singer of her generation if not longer. She's done rock, pop, country-western, Spanish...... If anyone deserves to be in the Hall, it is her.

Let's not forget she did vocals on Warren Zevon's Excitable Boy,, great sing along and disturbing number classic Zevon!! :)

If I remember correctly, they've covered each other's songs as well.

I still don't think she's rock and roll, though.

From what I remember, Linda Ronstadt was more country than anything but she put elements of rock and pop into her songs. Kind of like Olivia Newton John.

Yes gets in, then Geddy should be there presenter. Sound good? :)

Chris Squire: "I've never lost any sleep over it. And it's kind of, obviously, if it comes together, it'll be an honor -- and maybe we should get Rush to (laughs) give it to us (laughs)."

Yeah maybe that would be to akward for both parties, since Rush was influnced by them and Rush got in first.

Yes, Peter Gabriel, DP and Ronstadt are all overdue, imo. I suspect Nirvana will get the nod since they have had an enormous impact on music.

Will Geddy, Alex and Neil induct Dave and Kris? Rush will not shower, dress in wool sweaters and stare at their shoes while playing "Smells Like Teen Spirit". :unsure: