Bad Music at Work

pjbear05

I was going to post this as part of Ken Jennings' thread:

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?/topic/80659-your-five-least-favorite-songs-ever/page__st__180#entry2997223

But figured it's good for a thread of it's own.

I'm currently not working (due to the Gubmint shutdown), but when I am, I have had my share of Music Wars.

My latest has been with two Latino ladies in the aisle parallel to me that play one of the local FM Hispanic stations. As they sit in two cubicles next to each other, they use the radio's speaker, so they get a pass on that. Most of it I ignore-I'm listening to my music on headphones anyway. It's just the Anglo stuff the station plays is particularly vomit inducing, and when that comes on-You're Beautiful is a particular station favorite-I pull out the headphone plug out and let whatever I'm playing blast away.

My boss joked for me to hit 'em with some Rush, and I responded, "Oh, no, Rush is good, but I have better weapons for my aural assault and battering". Such as ELP, Yes, Coheed and Cambria, Kraftwerk, Ozric Tentacles, Brand X, etc. I once threw some of the sound effects from Elliot Mazer's The Digital Domain, one of the first CD I ever owned. That'll teach them! Frank Zappa's Jazz From Hell is another winner.

How about everyone else? Let 'er rip!

In my job is not allowed put on music in high volume... personal space and all that shit. So i dont have problems myself with any kind of bad music, but when i work after hours and there is just 2 or 3 people left in the office, i like to annoy them with some Magma or Gong or something really weird like that. Keep in mind this is a very latin country, so something like that really screw with their heads.

One of my bosses at the amusement park I work at (who also is co-owner) loves country, new country. So that is what plays over the park speakers all day long. And I mostly hear the same songs every single day, because its new country. This bugs me and quite a few co-workers to no end. Thankfully, another one of my bosses (who unfortunately is not a co-owner, just upper management) hates the country music also, and loves Rush. So every day after the radio is off (15 minute warning for closing) my boss checks the radio stations to see if Rush is playing, and will play it for me, putting the radio back on. I then hear over the walkie-talkies often "Is this for Andrew?". My boss also marks the dates that my other boss is off, and he brings in Rush albums to play before we open and in the last half hour, and plays the 80s/90s station otherwise. He even gave me a radio at my ride once in exchange for lending him my time-machine tour discs to copy onto his computer. I ran to my car to grab as many albums as I could before the day started. Thankfully, this is a friendly war between the three of us, and I never fear being put on the chopping block, actually quite the opposite, I am one of the few people who was trusted with knowing all the ins and outs of the park, and have been offered a full-time job.

A friend and I would put on U2's Joshua Tree every day exactly 50 minutes before quitting time, so that when the last song ended, it would be time to leave work.

This went on every single day for months. Some in the workroom actually got tired of this, and we promised to stop.

So we played a different album every day to end the day - you know - Boy, War, Achtung Baby, Rattle and Hum, Unforgettable Fire...

Does that make me a dick?

Edited by sitboaf