For those of you have have the HD Tracks version of Vapor Trails

LedRush

12 members have voted

1. 1. Which version of Vapor Trails (either HD Tracks or Remix) do you like better?

• HD Tracks - It retains the power of the original while is still listenable
    • Remix - The separation of instruments and sound quality are simply better than in the HD Tracks Version
    • They're about the same - They both have their pluses and minuses
    • HD Tracks - I don't like how they changed the songs in the Remix
    • Remix - I love the different take on the songs

HD Tracks version, hands-down. I already posted about this in another thread, so I won't say much more here, but there's so much more bite and force to the old mix; there's no comparison. Anyone with even a slight appreciation of the album owes it to themselves to download it - it's really the only version worth hearing. Edited by StellarJetman

HD Tracks version, hands-down. I already posted about this in another thread, so I won't say much more here, but there's so much more bite and force to the old mix; there's no comparison. Anyone with even a slight appreciation of the album owes it to themselves to download it - it's really the only version worth hearing.

Only version worth hearing? Seriously? Do you work for HDtracks?

I'm not taking it seriously, and no one with even a slight appreciation of the album should either. I'm deliriously happy with the Remix, only spent $9 and got a physical copy. I have to spend $18 to get a digital only HD copy. Someday maybe, but not any year soon under those conditions.

Nah, just really happy to finally have a version that I can enjoy listening to. (I hadn't bothered with it until after I'd been disappointed by the remix, so it's still pretty fresh for me.) Sorry for shooting my mouth off like that.

Edited by StellarJetman

Nah, just really happy to finally have a version that I can enjoy listening to. (I hadn't bothered with it until after I'd been disappointed by the remix, so it's still pretty fresh for me.) Sorry for shooting my mouth off like that.

No problem guy. I've posted here pretty excited at times too. :cheers:

• Like 1

HD Tracks version, hands-down. I already posted about this in another thread, so I won't say much more here, but there's so much more bite and force to the old mix; there's no comparison. Anyone with even a slight appreciation of the album owes it to themselves to download it - it's really the only version worth hearing.

I cant find much info on this but is it an official remaster of the original tapes? Does it sound that much better than the CD?

Can someone explain HD Tracks? Also, do you download the music & then burn it on CD? I'm so confused!

Yes, you download a flac file. Which is not compatible with anything really, except your computer. But only if you download a media player that is compatible with flacs and will play it. You can't burn a flac to a cd. The files are too large. Besides unless you have a high end sound system, nothing you could burn it too will play the file anyway! One guy here told me he has his computer running through his high end sound system. So it works great for him. Best I can tell that is the only way to really hear the quality of the HD track.

You can burn to cd but have to convert the file to a lower quality file.(apple lossless or mp3) That diminishes the quality alot. So what's the point?

I have two HD track albums, CA and VT. I can hear the difference because my computer speakers are pretty good.

But who sits at their computer to listen to music?

Besides unless you have a high end sound system, nothing you could burn it too will play the file anyway! One guy here told me he has his computer running through his high end sound system. So it works great for him. Best I can tell that is the only way to really hear the quality of the HD track.

You can burn to cd but have to convert the file to a lower quality file.(apple lossless or mp3) That diminishes the quality alot. So what's the point?

I have two HD track albums, CA and VT. I can hear the difference because my computer speakers are pretty good.

Probably best to burn to CD Audio- you'd be downsampling to 16bit/ 44.1khz, but you'd still hear the mastering differences. Apple Lossless could be 24bit 96khz (it really is lossless!), but you'd need a computer to play them- whereas the CD Audio would play on most CD players.

I have an old, reasonably good stereo that I have connected to my computer to play 24 bit FLAC files- they sound really great (I play them with Foobar 2000 and a cable that cost around £5). My neighbour has a brand new £1000 amplifier that plays FLAC files natively (you just put them on a flash drive or external hard drive and plug it right in, (or you can stream it from your computer using uPNP, though admittedly that's not the same)). That all seems a bit costly to me, though! I have just a moderately good computer and a 20 year old Pioneer amp, and I can tell the difference most of the time between 24/96 and 16/44.1 files. Just the cable that I had to purchase, and Foobar 2000 is free (iTunes or Media Player would work just as well too, but I think Foobar sounds better). So you don't need a high end system to play them, just an amplifier with RCA phono inputs.

Can someone explain HD Tracks? Also, do you download the music & then burn it on CD? I'm so confused!

Yes, you download a flac file. Which is not compatible with anything really, except your computer. But only if you download a media player that is compatible with flacs and will play it. You can't burn a flac to a cd. The files are too large. Besides unless you have a high end sound system, nothing you could burn it too will play the file anyway! One guy here told me he has his computer running through his high end sound system. So it works great for him. Best I can tell that is the only way to really hear the quality of the HD track.

You can convert the files using apple lossless or some other lossless format and play them on your iPod, as I do.

Well now I'm bummed. I went to HD Tracks to buy the original re-master of VT, and it looks like they only have the remix now :(

Anyone know where else I can find this?