Lerxt, Dirk and Pratt peeked in different eras

Rod in Toronto

I´ve been thinking about posting this topic for a while now, so here it goes. While I think it´s hard to deny that Rush as a band peaked between ´77-81, I dare say that individually, Geddy, Neil and Al peaked at different times. Geddy´s voice was at the top of his game during the late 70´s: 2112 to Hemispheres seems to be his best period, and bass-wise I´d say the same, but simply because of the Rickenbaker sound, which he left behind shortly after. Neil, on the other hand, whilst kicking ass from day one, had his most inventive period in the mid-80´s, when he incorporated the electrical pieces to his kit and explored then uncharted territory. Lyric-wise I tend to agree as well: I really liked how he went on to explore more "human" themes in the 80´s, and that was before he began his anti-religious crusade of late. And when it comes to Big Al, I think he now has a much more proeminent role in Rush than before: his riffage dominates Clockwork Angels and Snakes & Arrows, whilst he left the multi-layered sound of Vapor Trails and Test for Echo behind.

I love all eras of the band and think the three guys contributed equally from day one to make Rush the best band on the planet, but this thought of them peaking at different times came to me the other day, and thought I could share this with you. So, what do you guys think? Agree? Disagree?

Edited by RodrigoAltaf

While I think it´s hard to deny that Rush as a band peeked between ´77-81, I dare say that individually, Geddy, Neil and Al peeked at different times.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y288/Bluefunk/Rush/Rush70s5.jpg

:LOL:

Seriously though, I think they all peaked on Clockwork Angels!

• Like 4

I would say Al was at his best during the late 70s early to mid 80s..

I think that was a very strong period for him as well, but now his guitar is all over the place on S&A and CA...I can´t really explain it, but it seems that in their most rcent studio albums he´s found more of an identity than before.

I do think ability wise that all the guys are peaking now. Quite a feat I would say. Their individual styles and tastes have changed quite a bit though so I can see where some people might think they peaked in different eras. For example, technique wise I think Peart is the best he's ever been right now, but I prefer his playing style in the late 70's all through the 80's.
  • Like 2

Well, I think you could say they had multiple peaks, and multiple ruts, each individually

If you look at Neil drum wise, right out the shoot he was peeking in a very raw way (ex bytor and the snowdog drum fills and 2112). That peak probably ended after power windows. If I had to pick a single "peak" drumwise id probably say signals

I think lyrically he had a peak from COS - Hemispheres, with the epics. Then there was a rut between Hemispheres and Permanent waves ;) Then I would say the next peak ended after presto. There was a rut lyrically from RTB - S&A. Counterparts lyrically (except for everyday glory and animate) were pretty terrible, Test for Echo didnt have much passion. VT was pretty good lyrically but not enough to break out of an all out rut. CA then came along, which was pretty cool lyrically and we are now on a new peak.

Geddy vocally you could say has been on a very slow regression, although some of the mid - late 80s albums his voice is not as harsh, and sounds really good (presto especially)

Bass wise, I really cant think of a rut in his playing ability, for me it has been so steady and awesome. Certain albums obviously dont highlight this well

Alex, well guy can flat out play, for me his peak would probably be moving pictures, and the rut would be the synth era. I dont necessarily require guitar solos on all song, I really appreciate all the small nuances as well.

I guess I really didnt answer the question

• Like 1

Geddy vocally you could say has been on a very slow regression, although some of the mid - late 80s albums his voice is not as harsh, and sounds really good (presto especially)

I really liked the Hine LPs, because he got Geddy to sing in a lower register. I'd like them to write vocals in a lower register again, some day.

• Like 2

I really liked the Hine LPs, because he got Geddy to sing in a lower register. I'd like them to write vocals in a lower register again, some day.

agreed, what albums were they? Presto & RTB?

• Like 1

Oh and it's Rickenbacker, not Rickenbaker. :D

I don't think it's a matter of them peaking at a certain time but rather the type of music they were making. With the addition of all the layering that they do now on the recordings it's hard to tell how things would sound if they were broken down to the basic tracks. Musically and ability/talent wise I think they've done nothing but get better. Yes, it's a sad fact that Geddys voice has gone gradually downhill and he's lost his upper registers. But that tends to happen to singers as they get older.

It's kind of interesting to speculate on what would have happened if the band hadn't added the keyboards. That's kind of a topic for another thread.

Alex peaked around PeW. Neil peaked around HFY drum-wise and around TFE lyrically.

Vocally, I think Ged peaked around AFTK. Bass-wise, that's a tough call -- he seems to still be getting better as astonishing as that seems.

While I think it´s hard to deny that Rush as a band peeked between ´77-81, I dare say that individually, Geddy, Neil and Al peeked at different times.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y288/Bluefunk/Rush/Rush70s5.jpg

:LOL:

Seriously though, I think they all peaked on Clockwork Angels!

:rfl: :rfl: :rfl:

GOOD ONE :yes:

• Like 1

I would say Al was at his best during the late 70s early to mid 80s..

I think that was a very strong period for him as well, but now his guitar is all over the place on S&A and CA...I can´t really explain it, but it seems that in their most rcent studio albums he´s found more of an identity than before.

Certainly more range.

I think they all peeked into different places. Al peeks into wine cellars, Geddy peeks into the bullpen and Neil peeks into libraries. The only one who's cool is Ray Danniels who peeks into strip clubs!

and around TFE lyrically.

:laughing guy: (You mean right before? :ph34r: )

Yeah...pretty much...there are some good lyrics on TFE and some horrendous ones. Mostly I'm thinking in terms of his ability to (or at least interest in) to write singable lyrics, rather than the shoehorned crap he forces Ged to deal with these days.

They've been continually peaking. We just need an engineer to capture them. CA sounds like shit compared to even Presto. I know that's a bold statement, but listen to the sound quality differences.

agreed, what albums were they? Presto & RTB?

:yes: I wasn't overly thrilled with Hine's backing vocals, though!

I think they all peeked into different places. Al peeks into wine cellars, Geddy peeks into the bullpen and Neil peeks into libraries. The only one who's cool is Ray Danniels who peeks into strip clubs!

:P