What RUSH Record Were You Most Disappointed In On First Listen?

presto123

VT was the beginning of the end of Rush for me, in terms of the studio release.

For the most people here it was a new beginning... :P

Power WIndows - because I was so into Rush when that came out and I was like wtf, this is c**p. Big Money was awful back then when I first heard it. Power WIndows was the album that put me off listening to Rush (bar anything preceding that) for a long, long time - really until Clockwork Angels came out, when I then went back and started to listen to everything in between PoW and CA. I still dislike Power Windows even now, and would put it as my worst Rush Album, followed by HYF. That period was the low point for me and always will be - it hurt.
  • Like 1

Caress of Steel! This was and still is the album that has taken me the longest to get into. Basically 'cause of FOL. I just found it so boring at first and I still have to be in the right frame of mind to listen to thew whole thing. Now I like the album but it still holds the spot for most disappointed at first listen. Followed closely by Vapor Trail due to the mix, but that has been corrected now and many of the songs I couldn't listen to before have surprised me, specifically, Ceiling Unlimited, Stars Look Down and Sweet Miracle.

Power windows was too big a change for me on release actually stopped listening to rush for three years or so... of course then it became one of my all time favs as did hyf and the rest of the 80s stuff.

Next slight disappointment was tfe as counterpoints was so ballsy and i just wanted more of the same but tfe seemed so clinical in comparison... of course tfe is still one of my most played albums now as opposed to CP which i never play really.

Next disappointment, unbelievably, was s&a.. i just thought too many tracks were weak and even unfinished in a way.. course now is brilliant an utter masterpiece from start to finish.

Next disappointment was almost half of CA... and it still is, cant see that changing i even deleted the tracks i dont like from the album playlist. caravan bu2b the title track and a cpl others are brilliant but its the first rush album ever for me that overall is slightly sub.

I must be a complete and utter sadist, but none of them. I wasn't disappointed with any of them.

Me neither, Baby! My first new album was Hemispheres, and I can say that each successive album was both a surprise and an inevetability.

I always used to tune in to the 'Friday Rock Show' to hear Tommy Vance play 'the new one by Rush', and each time the music was new and strange. But after that first hearing i would feel like I'd met an old friend, and I'd know that when I bought the album I'd feel the same way about the rest of the tracks.

I grew up with Rush and I've accepted that the music is so much a part of my identity that it's almost impossible for me to not like it. Each new album has always been exactly the way it had to be.

• Like 1

Signals.

I recognize the brilliance of it now but when I first heard it I was like wtf? Vital signs should have been a clue to what was coming I guess...

I heard this for the first time ever a couple of weeks ago, and I was just in Awe... THIS is where Signals was born!!!

• Like 2

Vapor Trails. After that long wait during Neil's tragedies, I was out of my mind that I was about to hear One Little Victory. I think someone leaked a MP3 & I remember in coming through the computer speakers. I was floored & not in a good way! My disappointment was so extreme that I didn't know what to say. I honestly didn't like the album for years. It wasn't until I got a new car with a stock radio that all the sudden it sounded waaaayyyyy better! It was definitely not meant to be heard on high end equipment. I fell in love with the album over the past year & am now loving the Remixed version as well!

Presto. That was my first exposure to Rush after having heard Tom Sawyer and Big Money on the TV a few years back, and then decided to give their then new album a chance. I was really into Slayer, D.R.I.King Diamond and Anthrax back then, so it shouldn´t be a surprise that I thought it was waaaaaay too pop for my taste.

If I were older it might be GuP or Signals, but for albums released when I was already a fan, the answer is Counterparts by a mile. I immediately liked Animate and Nobody's Hero and appreciated the sound of the album, but instead of growing on me the album got worse with every listen. RTB had a great pop accessibility that I appreciated as a 14 year old, yet still some interesting lyrics. CP had almost nothing which was accessible, and it had the band's worst lyrics. But CP also didn't have the interesting and complex bits I had come to appreciate from early Rush. It was merely a bland and uninteresting album with bad lyrics and a good sound. S&A is the only other album that comes close for me, but I loved it on day one as I loved 2 songs and the 3 instrumentals and I assumed the rest would grow on me. The opposite happened. But that took awhile, and my dislike for CP was much faster and remains slightly deeper.

Vapor Trails.

It's grown on me a little bit over the past 11 years but it's still pretty weak.

Clockwork Angels.

I was so excited for this album but it has not lived up to my expectations. I know everybody else loves it but I don't.

Snakes & Arrows and Test For Echo are 2 much maligned albums that I loved right out of the gate.

To echo fritz44, "Spirit of Radio" was getting airplay shortly before I bought "Permanent Waves." I freaked out but figured it was just the exception on an album I was sure would sound like all that came before it. So naturally, when I did buy it, I did not warm to it at all. But the shock eventually wore off.

Over the long term, "Presto" is the one I have never embraced. I remember when Best Buy had the CD on sale for $6.99 about 10 years ago(when Cd's were as much as $16.99!!), I bought it figuring it would somehow improve on CD. Sorry, it didn't.

Hold Your Fire. Listened to it once when it came out and had no real interest in listening to it again, whereas all previous albums I got I would listen to over and over for awhile. I wasn't thrilled with Power Windows and, for me, each album was a step down from the prior one after Moving Pictures. I wanted them to rock and they were obvioulsy off exploring other things. So they lost me at that point and I stopped buying albums when they came out as I had always done until VT got me going again.

Off the top of my head, three Rush Albums stand out in my mind. Fly By Night, because it was my first album from their first period, and I was more privy to their polished sound of the later eras, 2112, simply because the internet gave me so much hype, but a similar effect to Fly By Night, and Roll the Bones (self explanatory) (oh fine, after loving Dreamline and Roll The Bones, I expected the rest of the album to be gold...NOPE! (not bad by any means but Dreamline is really out of place on that album and therefore is very misleading)

Signals by far.

I've been a fan since the release of 2112, and after the epic foursome of AFTK, Hemi, PeW, and MP. listening to Signals felt like a death in the family.

• Like 1

The most disappointing, by a parsec, it's still the only Rush album that I don't like as a whole: Caress of Steel.

As I Rush fan I was kind of bouncing all over the discography at the time: I started with Presto and AFTK, then Chronicles and loved Bastille Day. Lakeside Park was nice. So I pick up Archives for the rest of Rush/FBN/CoS not on Chronicles and was eager to hear the rest of those albums. :rush: rocked, FBN was up and down, and then came CoS and I subjected myself to 30+ minutes of bleeeeaaach known as I Think I'm Going Bald, Necromancer, and TFOL :sarcastic:

Edited by Pause Rewind Replay