What RUSH Record Were You Most Disappointed In On First Listen?

presto123

I think it was GUP. I wasn't ready for the big change in the overall sound of the band. It grew on me after a few month of listening. Today I'm totally in love with the album.
  • Like 2

Certainly for me it was Test For Echo. But like all post-Moving Pictures Rush albums (for me), there is alot going on that my brain is not prepared for...It is usually hard to instantly find a catchy groove because of the depth and maturity of the music and lyrics. Though for Clockwork Angels, the Anarchist had me dancing right away!!!! :rush:
  • Like 1

Well the only album releases that have come out since I became a fan were VT, snakes and arrows and clockwork angles. All the other albums, I didnt listen to in order, I was really more exploring.

I would probably say snakes and arrows, other than Far Cry, nothing really connected right away, and honestly I think the quality is good, but still one of my lower tier rush albums

Grace Under Pressure. I became a fan after I got Signals right after its release. And I got Moving Pictures a year later. So Grace Under Pressure was my first album of anticipation.

For me, I was in love with Signals and really liked Moving Pictures, which aren't really far apart in style. Naturally I was expecting "Grace.." to be another album of the same type and was looking forward to it. But to me it was a major departure. More guitar presence but more pop than the previous two which had "rebel rock" undertones to them. Didn't like the tinkly and mechanical sounds on Grace. It eventually grew on me though.

Power Windows.

Fell in love with Rush upon first listen while on a boy scout camping trip. The album I heard was All The World's A Stage. I of course immediately had to start getting Rush albums. A classmate of mine in school's father had a few albums on vinyl. He made me a tape copy of Power Windows to start my Rush fix. Being only 12 at the time, I did not know any good music at the time and I had no clue what Rush album to get. As Big Money started, I thought to myself, "What the f*** is this? This isn't the kick-ass music that I heard in the tent this past weekend." A couple days later, I asked the headbanger kids at school what the deal was, and was told to get 'Old Rush'. 2112 was mine a couple days later and the rest is history.

I became a RUSH fan about 6 months after ESL was released . And since I was learning to play guitar and keyboards I was real excited with the sound of Signals . I must admit I was expecting something like Moving Pictures V2 not know muchs about RUSH. After all this was the pre internet days and I simply could not cruise fan sites to learn their philosophy . Then GUP came out and I was a little taken aback . Even though I expected more guitar . I Loved every cut on Signals at the time but was not so happy with a few cuts on GUP. By the time Power Windows was released I real confused. Now even though I was a synth-a-holic and a total guitar nut I didn't like most of it .and being big fan of Stevie Ray Vaughn at the time .I coudln't process it right . I remember my first listen to Power Windows vividly . I was in a TV production class and someone put it on the sound system . I liked a few things but I cooled to RUSH for a long time after that.

I know being a RUSH fan and a synthesizer geek you would think I would flip over it . I didn't. I can't remember now what cooled me but I wasn't dyed in the wool RUSH fan again until Counterparts. Now I love both ! GUP and Power Windows . PW so much I consider The Big Money the best of RUSH.Thinking back I just think I was too wrapped up in the hair metal scene because of my intrest in learning guitar and also I loved bands like Yes and ELP equally because of the great keyboard work. I didn't consider RUSH musicianship sub par but I just couldn't click with it . Of course it has something to do with expectations. RUSH at that time had a huge back catalogue and while inbetween new releases you envision the new releases to be a mix of those sounds scapes. By Hold You Fire I didn't even bother buying it . Maybe someone in the class exclaimed "Rush sold out " I can't remember but I do think that was considered . Of course we were wrong. It is hard to remember back that far :smoke: .

I was very disappointed with Signals and it started my alienation from the band. I wanted loud, strong guitars and I was getting wimpy keyboards. The songs have grown on me to a degree, but Signals will never be a favourite.

I think the biggest shock was going from Hemispheres to Permanent Waves. Such a huge change from what had gone before.

VT. OLV came out a month before the rest of the record, and I was completely unmoved. I still am unmoved by it, which is kind of unfortunate because I know what that song means to the band.... but I just cannot learn to love it.

I bought the rest of the album anyway about two days after it came out, and I knew it didn't sound good the first time I listened to it. I felt like I should have liked it more than I did, because the songs seemed like they were good, but something wasn't right. At this point nobody really knew what "brickwall mastering" and the "loudness war" were just yet.

I'm happy to say that I totally dig the remix. The songs were never the problem with that album.

CLOCKWORK ANGELS---Aside from Caravan, BU2B, Headlong Flight (Which I had loved since they were released) and The Anarchist and ESPECIALLY after hearing Wish Them Well, BU2B2 (Which I thought would be a kick ass instrumental) and The Garden for the first time, my initial thought was "WTF was THAT????? That's what the HYPE was all about????" :facepalm: :banghead: I like the album as a whole better now, but still have trouble making it through the last 3 songs... Sorry..... :popcorn:
  • Like 1

I think it was GUP. I wasn't ready for the big change in the overall sound of the band. It grew on me after a few month of listening. Today I'm totally in love with the album.

This. It took me years to warm up to GUP.

I think I have never been disappointed or had a problem with a "first listen" and here is why..... I have been along for the ride since about 1976. First " new album " was A farewell to Kings. No possible disappointment there. In retrospect what happened to me may have happened to many "fans" out there. It the mid 80's I saw "it" coming and had children to boot. I never purchased an album that did not appeal to me for that reason. I still loved Moving Pictures and a few of the albums that followed but then it changed to much for my taste and I got off for a while. Got back on at Vapor Trails when I enjoyed the sound again and the kids were grown some. Clockwork is awesome and rekindled my love for the band. I listen to it and all the older stuff that i still love during workout sessions. I also wear my Rush gear proudly all the time. It's amazing to me how many more of the regular folks know who they are now and make comment about my shirts or hats.

Hold Your Fire. It seemed way too soft and loungy at first. I really like it now, though.

Yeah, it's definitley their adult contemporary light jazz pop album.

It's all been downhill since Hemispheres.

Just kidding.... Sort of.

Only album I couldn't listen to more than once and was the biggest disappointment was obviously Vapor Trails due to the crappy mix job. I was a little bit disappointed with Signals for the same reason mentioned above. I wanted the heavy guitar-based songs and they were bringing in these keyboards and really thinned out the guitar tone. There is still a part of me that wishes they would go back to just guitar, bass and drums. When they got all techie the songs lost something.

It's all been downhill since Hemispheres.

Just kidding.... Sort of.

Only album I couldn't listen to more than once and was the biggest disappointment was obviously Vapor Trails due to the crappy mix job. I was a little bit disappointed with Signals for the same reason mentioned above. I wanted the heavy guitar-based songs and they were bringing in these keyboards and really thinned out the guitar tone. There is still a part of me that wishes they would go back to just guitar, bass and drums. When they got all techie the songs lost something.

Yeah, my favorite part of the live shows are when they strip it down and just jam.. They were so adventurous with thier sound back in the 80s, the triggers etc sometimes gets in the way.

T4E.

There was some radio special where the band was in studio talking about the new record and every few minutes they would play a new song from T4E during breaks in the interview.

I taped it with the intention that the new RUSH record would be amazing I'd want to listen to the recording over and over again like I did when I was a kid with previous interviews.

I think that's the only time I listened to the whole album.