Rush and your children. The test of time.

Narps

My oldest (only 7) LOVES Rush. He has his favorite DVDs that he loves to watch, he adores Alex and can't get enough of watching him play the guitar. In fact, he likes to play my mom's old acoustic guitar whenever he watches or listens to Rush. I couldn't be happier. It's so funny, he insists on listening to Rush in the car. I think he's a bigger fan than me, if that's possible.
  • Like 2

My daughter (15 next week) loves Rush. She's teaching herself guitar and her ambition is to be able to play La Villa Strangiato at the correct speed! She's doing her best to convert her friends (most of the girls like One Direction, which she detests).
  • Like 4

Great Topic!

My 3 children were raised on music. As a family, we sang all the time and with a variety of music. My oldest son (21) did the musicals in high school. My daughter (16) has been doing musicals for a long time in school usually getting one of the leads (she was the Acid Queen in Tommy this past spring). My middle son (18) plays guitar. All my kids enjoy a variety of musical. They may lean one way or the other, but there is always music playing on ipods, iphones, or reality shows like The Voice.

I have loved Rush long before they were born. They grew up knowing of my "little obsession". There are parts that they like. Parts they don't. My middle son, being a guitarist himself, appreciates the musical ascpect a little bit more than the other two. This past October, I took him to his first concert - Rush. It was a great experience. We had a great time and a great bonding moment.

• Like 2

I brought the topic up figuring it had been worn out many times over. Since I am new around here but have been a fan of Rush for 37 years I was just curious if folks have had a similar experience to mine. I like most parents love my children dearly and don't pass up any opportunity to talk about them. I promise you both of mine know who the best band in the world is. I have the utmost respect for Rush both musically and as importantly as people. They just seem like great guys and I have always been proud to be a fan even back when it was very "uncool". Hope they tour again so my wife( belief it or not has never seen them in 32 years married to me) and both my children and I can see them together! That would ice the cake.
  • Like 1

I never in a million years thought that I would share my love for Rush with my kids. My oldest is 9, and she loves Rush. I took her to her first Rush concert last June, and she was in awed! Her favorite songs are Limelight and The Garden. :wub:

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t246/ILsnwdog/toriatrush2_zps28069d2c.jpg

• Like 6

Just chiming in from the other end -- son of a Rush fan here, and (obviously) a big fan myself -- my brothers all are, too. Mom hates Geddy's voice, so Dad would blast it when she wasn't around and it was our father-son bonding music when I was little. I rediscovered Rush in my teens, going through my dad's old vinyl and CDs, and realized I already knew all the words to "Hemispheres" from singing along as a kid... and of course there was no going back.

I remember coming home from college once and all my Rush CDs were missing. I freaked out till I found my little brother sitting in the corner of his room with the headphones on and all the albums stacked in front of him in chronological order. Whatever dysfunction our family might have, we got the important stuff right.

• Like 5

My niece's first rock concert was with me at the Snakes & Arrows Show in St. Paul, MN, when she was about 15. She went with me to the Time Machine Show in Milwaukee.

Sadly, job and school conflicts wouldn't let her go to the Clockwork Angels Show with me. She'll just have to make do with the Blu-ray experience on my 46" Sony..... :yes:

• Like 1

Well...I have no kids but I can assure you my dads son has amazing taste! He says that Rush are one of the greatest bands he has ever heard, and wishes more people would turn to them and ignore silly rock bands other people his age adore like Linkin Park, Coldplay, Limp Bizkit and Lostprophets. After all, he says, who will still care about them when they turn forty?

He believes they are equal to Led Zeppelin and a worthy competitor to The Beatles. In fact, he may prefer them to both!

On the other hand he adores Bruce Springsteen and Toto...so go figure... silly Segue.

• Like 2

My kids are just 2 years 4 months, so they stick mostly to the lullaby Rush albums. I'm hoping to subconsciously get them hooked :)

Oh, that is devilish...I love it! Just wait till they start wailing "WE ARE THE PRIESTS!!!" at daycare :)

My daughter (17) is a fan.

I had to come to TRF to confirm the existence of female Rush fans...it's true!!!! :dweez:

my son's first name is Nicklaus. Guess what I was really into 23 years ago besides rush?

Santa Claus? ;)

J/K....has your son gotten into golf, then?

For myself, I'm very proud that my son and my oldest step-son are big Rush fans.

My son Kendall is 18 and he attended the Nashville, TN show on the Time Machine Tour. He was jumping up and down and loving the whole experience...he's very reserved and I've never seen him exude such pure joy :) Alex even saw him and acknowledged him from the stage, and that made Kendall's night a singular experience for both of us!

My step-son's father abused him for years before he was jailed, and I came into the picture years after in 2003. I had moved out here when he was a freshman in HS and still angry, but I had drums with me. He was excited about the drums (Roland E-Drums) so we set them up the very day I got here. The next day, I handed him 'Test for Echo' and he went head over heels for Rush. I continued to feed him more Rush, Dave Matthews Band (for Carter Beauford), Yes, The Police, Porcupine Tree, etc. He soaked it all up.

He used the drums as an outlet for his emotions and funneled his energy into them. In very short order, he got very good and plays in a Peart style to this day. We got him his own Tama acoustic kit, which he still cherishes, and he was in a local band playing progressive rock for a few years. He joined the Marines after high school and he saw Rush twice in concert and loved it.

Edited by Lieutenant Dan
  • Like 5

My kids are just 2 years 4 months, so they stick mostly to the lullaby Rush albums. I'm hoping to subconsciously get them hooked :)

Oh, that is devilish...I love it! Just wait till they start wailing "WE ARE THE PRIESTS!!!" at daycare :)

My daughter (17) is a fan.

I had to come to TRF to confirm the existence of female Rush fans...it's true!!!! :dweez:

my son's first name is Nicklaus. Guess what I was really into 23 years ago besides rush?

Santa Claus? ;)

J/K....has your son gotten into golf, then?

For myself, I'm very proud that my son and my oldest step-son are big Rush fans.

My son Kendall is 18 and he attended the Nashville, TN show on the Time Machine Tour. He was jumping up and down and loving the whole experience...he's very reserved and I've never seen him exude such pure joy :) Alex even saw him and acknowledged him from the stage, and that made Kendall's night a singular experience for both of us!

My step-son's father abused him for years before he was jailed, and I came into the picture years after in 2003. I had moved out here when he was a freshman in HS and still angry, but I had drums with me. He was excited about the drums (Roland E-Drums) so we set them up the very day I got here. The next day, I handed him 'Test for Echo' and he went head over heels for Rush. I continued to feed him more Rush, Dave Matthews Band (for Carter Beauford), Yes, The Police, Porcupine Tree, etc. He soaked it all up.

He used the drums as an outlet for his emotions and funneled his energy into them. In very short order, he got very good and plays in a Peart style to this day. We got him his own Tama acoustic kit, which he still cherishes, and he was in a local band playing progressive rock for a few years. He joined the Marines after high school and he saw Rush twice in concert and loved it.

It was golf, and yes he did end up playing quite a bit. He played on the high school golf team.
  • Like 1

That's great about your son and golf....I love to TRY to play it :) I don't stress over the score, I just play for at least ONE great shot in a round and try not to slow down others who actually can play.
  • Like 1

So me and my oldest (again, only 7) were in the car this morning and he asks to listen to song, "2-7" (disk 2, song 7). It's Alex Lifeson's solo, "Hope." That blew me away! Then he asks to listen to disk #4 and as I'm playing that he asks if I can eject it when we get home so that he can take it to the stereo in his room. The disk... 2112.

I'm one proud mom. Raising this boy right!!

• Like 6

My daughter isn't a fan of the band but her exposure to Rush and "dad's music" has resulted in her being a big hard rock and metal fan. She has attended Download the last couple of years and listens to music all the time.

She's also a fan of pop music, but you can't have everything...

• Like 1

Wow, my daughter just turned 2 a few months ago, and I have a 2 month old son now! Small world, congrats on the kids and I hope that the boys don't stop touring before I have the chance to take them

• Like 1

So me and my oldest (again, only 7) were in the car this morning and he asks to listen to song, "2-7" (disk 2, song 7). It's Alex Lifeson's solo, "Hope." That blew me away! Then he asks to listen to disk #4 and as I'm playing that he asks if I can eject it when we get home so that he can take it to the stereo in his room. The disk... 2112.

I loaded a bunch of Rush on my oldest daughter's iPod. The other day, I came into her room and she was jamming out to LaVilla. She said, "Dad, this song is so awesome!" :wub:
  • Like 5

I loaded a bunch of Rush on my oldest daughter's iPod. The other day, I came into her room and she was jamming out to LaVilla. She said, "Dad, this song is so awesome!" :wub:

That is a magical moment!

That is awesome! My son is allowed to help himself as long as he puts everything back where he found it.
  • Like 2

My son 11 has emerged a huge Rush Fan.

First exposure was Snakes and Arrows, and he has accompanied me to "Time Machine" and "Clockwork Angels" shows.

On his own he has gravitated to Hemisphere - Signals as is favorite era.

I was so proud as he pounded away on his air drums to the amazement of those around us during "Witch Hunt" (one of his favorites) on the TM tour.

• Like 2

You named your son 11?

How old is he? Fred?

I kinda dig that name........... :dweez:

I've heard worse...Blue Ivy? Apple? ... Michael?