Rush and your children. The test of time.

Narps

Sorry if this topic has been done or overdone before. Just curious if many of you have Rush in common now with your children. In my case my son and daughter were both very much exposed to Rush during their upbringing and also "classic rock" in general. My daughter is now 26 and we saw Rush together on the VT tour a while back. My son who is now 23 and a musician himself really loves Rush music as any musician should. We went together to see them on the S & A tour. Damn he was so excited! He was 17 at the time and in a SKA band. When they cranked up Natural Science he about lost it. I have had so many great memories in my life because of 37 years Rush but sharing them with my kids is at the top. Thanks for indulging me if the topic is an old one. It just gets me a bit emotional to pass my love of Rush on to them.
  • Like 5

Both my kids love RUSH. My Daughter can't get enough of Clockwork Angels and my Son loves both old and new stuff they are only 16 and 10! So yes RUSH transcends generations if you prepare them for it. My son also likes Dream Theater and Journey and Def Leppard! He's a rocker! Down to the long hair! Edited by losingit2k
  • Like 7

My son is 17, and first got into Rush when I took him to see the CA Tour in Sep 2012. Now he's ranked all 165 songs and today as soon as I got home from work made me take him to get the VT remix.
  • Like 6

Truth is, Clockwork Angels has really rekindled my love for the band. It could have come out right after Hemispheres and i would have been none the wiser.
  • Like 3

My kids are just 2 years 4 months, so they stick mostly to the lullaby Rush albums. I'm hoping to subconsciously get them hooked :)
  • Like 4

My son's favorite band is, God love him, Insane Clown Posse. What is a dad to do? I have it all saved for him on DVD in high quality if he is ever interested. I took my daughter to the Vapor Trails and R30 tours and she fell asleep both times. Oh well, I do have two nephews aged 10 and 8 to share the music with some day. There is always hope.

Somewhere out there is a kid like me that will hear Rush one day and kick himself for not hearing or seeing them sooner like me with the Beatles, but it's just the way of the world.

• Like 3

My kid likes Rush! She has also attended some Rush concerts with me. She likes the Roll the Bones LP best, which was still a new album when she was born. I suppose I must have played that a lot when she was young. She also likes the Beatles and McFly, which she definitely didn't get from me. It's always shocking to me when she calls me and tells me of some great band she's discovered, and that I really should go listen to them, only to find that it's an 'old' band that I was already listening to when I was her age. Then I wow her by showing her my original vinyl copy of it! :)

She doesn't like any of her father's music, though (Soul and jazz funk). Hehe!

I had to buy an extra copy of VT remix for her, too.

• Like 2

I have two kids, a girl (10) and a boy (7). They know daddy is crazy about Rush, but they don't know much Rush music.

My daughter prefers Bieber and Top 40 crap. My son has potential as a "rocker," but as I said, he doesn't know much Rush. He loves Queen, and the Rainbow songs I've played.

Recently both kids have discovered "Tom Sawyer," though, and will sing it in the car. (Thanks, Rock Band, for exposing it to my kids!)

• Like 1

I have two older boys who are Rush fans. I got to them early. Rush sent my 18 year old down the prog road and he has turned me on to Steven Wilson and Porcupine Tree. He's an incredible guitar player now. Thanks, Rush!There are very few good influences in this world and you, gentlemen, are a great influence!
  • Like 4

My son (21) loves Rush. He convinced me to open my ears to them around 5 years ago as I wasn't a fan previously. We've attended 5 Rush concerts together. He also loves Jethro Tull, the Who, Deep Purple, Pink Floyd, Supertramp, ELP, and other music from the 60's and 70's. All his choices were without influence from me or my husband. Some current groups that he likes are Muse and Pearl Jam, many others.
  • Like 2

Well, given my daughter's idea of a classic rock band was when she broke her piggy bank to see the BackStreet Boys re-unite this summer, you can only imagine where Rush sits on her totem pole of favorite rock bands. But guess she isn't all that bad given she says she would live through all the embarrassment of being seen in public with me if AC/DC comes around again.
  • Like 2

Well, given my daughter's idea of a classic rock band was when she broke her piggy bank to see the BackStreet Boys re-unite this summer, you can only imagine where Rush sits on her totem pole of favorite rock bands. But guess she isn't all that bad given she says she would live through all the embarrassment of being seen in public with me if AC/DC comes around again.

smart girl!!!! hahaha ;)

Lucy's 3, has a RUSH shirt and asks to listen to them by name. She loves the CA album and is getting really hooked to GUP....guess I DO play the album enough!! haha ;)

We definitely plan on taking her to see them if they tour again. Absolutely. She just loves them. (she calls them "daddy's band" lol)

• Like 3

Both my daughters, 22 and 19, have been exposed to Rush since birth. My oldest saw them the first time when she was 5 on the T4E tour and has seen them with me close to 20 times since. She is a Rush fanatic. She even got a "p/g" tattoo to celebrate their induction to the RRHOF. She asked me just today if I got the Vapor Trails remaster yet because she wants to hear the new version of Ceiling Unlimited. Like I said, she is a fanatic. My youngest daughter (who was going to be named "Rush" if she was a boy) doesn't care for them hardly at all. Go figure.
  • Like 3

I have two older boys who are Rush fans. I got to them early. Rush sent my 18 year old down the prog road and he has turned me on to Steven Wilson and Porcupine Tree. He's an incredible guitar player now. Thanks, Rush!There are very few good influences in this world and you, gentlemen, are a great influence!

talk about returning the favor. well done son.

my sons first show at 11 was third row DT/ zappa plays zappa/big elf/scale the summit. the second was 8th row coheed & cambria and porcupine tree, his third show was average rush seats and his fourth show now 15 was muse 10th row.

my son likes rush but prefers muse and that is what i hope for as kids need to find their bands. rush is my band junior, get your own!

• Like 2

my son's first name is Nicklaus. Guess what I was really into 23 years ago besides rush?

My boys love Rush, John (4) and Max (1 1/2). Kid you not, at the dinner table today Max had finished his dinner and was getting fussy, so I pulled out my IPhone and threw on the remix of One Little Victory, he immediately was happy. Then John asked me to put on "number 4 on Caravan" which is the Anarchist. I can throw on a Rush concert DVD and they get pumped, they create drum sets and make guitars out of their Trio blocks. Max has incredible rhythm for a 1 1/2 year old he will play drums on anything.

I asked John at dinner "what is the longest Rush song?" he responds "2112", I asked "how long is it?" he states "20 minutes" my wifes jaw almost hit the floor ( I never told him that. He likes to watch the stereo in the car to see how long songs are)

Max and Johns Top 10 Rush Songs

Caravan

Far Cry

The Anarchist

Seven Cities of Gold

The Garden (John says its "the boring song" but requests it when he is tired or dissapointed about something")

Bytor and the Snowdog (probably their number 1)

Roll the Bones

Tom Sawyer

Heart full of Soul

Fly By Night

Dominic is now 2 days overdue, we will see what he thinks of Rush!

• Like 4

My son is 13 and has been to the last 2 Rush concerts. the first one was perfect, the last one (CWAs) really concerned me because now that weed is legal (in the privacy of your own home), everyone around us lit up to an extreme. Sure in the past you might smell it every so often, this concert featured just about every person in a 30 foot radius lighting it up. Now, it *is* legal however its still (like smoking) not legal on the floor and it was really starting to piss me off. I voted for it and I am totally for you smoking it in your house, keep that shat out of kids faces. To boot, there were many younger people (even much younger then my son) in the crowd with their parents. wish people could have some respect and at least go out into the smoking areas.
  • Like 2