3 Studio versions of OLV

losingit2k

3 Studio Versions of OLV  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Which version of OLV do you prefer?

• Original Release
    • Retrospective III
    • VT Remixed
    • None of the above

VT Remix! My lunchtime cranking of OLV Remix has clinched it already. Not just for the clarity, spearation and crankability, but for the ripping new guitar solo that lifts that section to a new high. I actually yelled f*ckin A! after it gave me stone cold chills.

The original sounds bad. The R3 remix was good but can't touch the remix. One thing that bugged me about R3's is at 0:57, that guitar as it moves to the main body of the song It's too loud and up front, hanging out there like a matzah ball.

I can only say my pick is definitely NOT the original. The remixes both have a twiddly bass thing during the intro which isn't on the original. Cool! :geddy:

Tell me, peeps: what's the big difference(s) between the Retro 3 and VTR versions? I'm not familiar enough with the Retro 3 version to notice a big difference on the new one.

Edited by GeddyRulz

I never listen to Rush compilations, so I can't comment on the Retrospective III remix. But I can't imagine it's better than the Vapor Trails Remixed version.

Imagine all the people, Vapor Trails remix!

You might say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not a Goober's son,

I know someday he'll join us, And the World will live as one!

Anyway Imagine it, Basically the Retrospective III Remix is the same. less the Lead and with more Balls! If you like that kinds of thing. Not that there's anything wrong with that!

Edited by losingit2k

Tell me, peeps: what's the big difference(s) between the Retro 3 and VTR versions? I'm not familiar enough with the Retro 3 version to notice a big difference on the new one.

:finbar: The Retro III version is less 'wall of noise' than the original, but the new remix has altogether better clarity- you can hear every note. Also I think the stereo separation is better in the new remix, and the bass is brought forward more.

• Like 1

I can only say my pick is definitely NOT the original. The remixes both have a twiddly bass thing during the intro which isn't on the original. Cool! :geddy:

That bass part is in the original, you just can't hear it buried under everything else

After hearing the newest one a few times I'm still leaning toward the original. I like the punch of the original, but there is no denying the clarity on the remix. I the think the Retrospective III version is destined to become a lost stepchild at this point.

After hearing the newest one a few times I'm still leaning toward the original. I like the punch of the original, but there is no denying the clarity on the remix. I the think the Retrospective III version is destined to become a lost stepchild at this point.

I agree. I'm still not sure whether I like the original or the new remix best, but to my ears really the only thing the Retrospective III version has going for it is that bass run in the intro, which lit up my soul the first time I heard it. That bit is in the original, but only if you know it's there and listen very closely, and it's also in the new remix but not as prominently as in the Retrospective III version.

You guys and all of your acronyms...

I was sitting here thinking to myself, what the hell is OLV?

But then, it's from a forgettable album, so you have to cut me some slack. I looked at the poll answer options and then I understood, in context.

Edited by Blue J
  • Like 2