Bottrill on the remix

Presto-digitation

I think they were smart not to try to go back and re-record anything, but I dearly hope that they will play some of the previously unplayed songs from the album on the next tour.

They haven't played a single song from VT the past two tours. That doesn't have to mean anything, and it doesn't mean they won't play them in the future, but you never know if Neil requested a moratorium on playing them live again. That's just speculation on my part, but based on his not wanting any input on the remix, it's at least conceivable.

• Like 5

I think Bottrill has done a great job. Better than expected. I truly felt many of these songs couldn't be improved and they have been. So he added a few solos. So What? I remember people bitching that VT had no solos. Well now they do and people are still bitching. Besides the solo in Ceiling Unlimited has improved the song. The Solo on OLV isn't as great but it still works and adds more life to a song that was now 11 years old. Anyway they didn't have to remix anything. Be Glad we are still enjoying, dissecting and debating RUSH only 2 months after the CA Tour has ended.

Looking forward to next month's repeat discussion on sound/ Mix and Visuals!

Edited by losingit2k
  • Like 4

Some people are complaining that this is Bottrill's "vision" of the album. Well, of course it is, but he just did what any mixing engineer on any album does. He did the mixes, and Geddy and Alex gave their approval of those mixes and signed off on them. It's that simple.

I don't know what people are complaining about. They are the same songs, only better. That is what a complete remix does. I think these people don't understand the difference between a remix and a remastering. Well maybe now they know. :codger:

I haven't heard it yet.

How do the drums sound? I thought they could do with being unleashed a bit...

I think they sound better, but I don't think its what you are hoping for. :codger:

What am I hoping for then?? :unsure:

I haven't heard it yet.

I think they sound better, but I don't think its what you are hoping for. :codger:

I think you are looking for more Balls. The album sounds better but it has less Balls. You can hear the Ride and High Hat much better. There is more seperation between the individual instruments. But except for the kick, which is very prominent, the rest of the kit sounds less heavy than the original. I hope that clarifies what I meant and what I thought you were hoping for. Neil's Kit does sound much more open and separated. There is one part. I forget the song, I think its Ghost Rider, I could be wrong, that you can here the ride and High hat creating a pattern simultaneously. Very well done, I might add! :codger:

Edited by losingit2k

I haven't heard it yet.

I think you are looking for more Balls. The album sounds better but it has less Balls. You can hear the Ride and High Hat much better. There is more seperation between the individual instruments. But except for the kick, which is very prominent, the rest of the kit sounds less heavy than the original. I hope that clarifies what I meant and what I though you were hoping for. :codger:

Well my thoughts were always that the drums were buried a little bit so a lot of the middle of the sound was muted and the sound of the drums was a little high pitched to my ears as a consequence.

I haven't heard it yet.

I think you are looking for more Balls. The album sounds better but it has less Balls. You can hear the Ride and High Hat much better. There is more seperation between the individual instruments. But except for the kick, which is very prominent, the rest of the kit sounds less heavy than the original. I hope that clarifies what I meant and what I though you were hoping for. :codger:

Well my thoughts were always that the drums were buried a little bit so a lot of the middle of the sound was muted and the sound of the drums was a little high pitched to my ears as a consequence.

the drums are less buried and kick drum is kickin'

I haven't heard it yet.

Still the same just more open and clarified. You can easily hear everything, but the mids are still lower in the mix throughout. I think that Alex's guitar sound was one of the key elements in improving the mix and the only way to correct guitars other than adding effects that weren't recorded is too change the mids. Unfortunately, that effects everything else as well. All I can say is that it does sound much better. The mix of the kit is more opened. The original mix sound like it was in a compressed into a box. This is not the case any longer. I suggest you listen to the RS stream a couple of times prior to going out and buying it, at least you'll know.

MY only qualm with the remix so far is the "Ceiling unlimited; world so wide" vocal over top of the breakdown after the solo/ on top of bass 'diddle'. I personally don't think the rhythm of the words fit with what the bass and drums are doing at that point. If it were me, I would not have done that but it doesn't "ruin" the song. In fact, I firmly believe almost, if not every single minute of this album has been improved greatly by Mr. Bottrill. I hope he mixes Rush's next album.

I haven't heard it yet.

Still the same just more open and clarified. You can easily hear everything, but the mids are still lower in the mix throughout. I think that Alex's guitar sound was one of the key elements in improving the mix and the only way to correct guitars other than adding effects that weren't recorded is too change the mids. Unfortunately, that effects everything else as well. All I can say is that it does sound much better. The mix of the kit is more opened. The original mix sound like it was in a compressed into a box. This is not the case any longer. I suggest you listen to the RS stream a couple of times prior to going out and buying it, at least you'll know.

I've already ordered it mate, for a nice price too. :smoke:

I haven't heard it yet.

Well enjoy it when you get it! I can tell you this. It sounds better through headphones than through car speakers. :codger:

I haven't heard it yet.

Well enjoy it when you get it! I can tell you this. It sounds better through headphones than through car speakers. :codger:

I'll be listening to it on my 1988 Technics digital stacking stereo system, with six added speakers, Celestion and Kef, plus some Technics surround spheres. It sounds as clean and powerful today as it did when I paid £1500 back in the day! Those Japanese dudes know how to build em.

• Like 2

I haven't heard it yet.

I shall never listen to VT Remix in your car then. :P

I haven't heard it yet.

I'll be listening to it on my 1988 Technics digital stacking stereo system, with six added speakers, Celestion and Kef, plus some Technics surround spheres. It sounds as clean and powerful today as it did when I paid £1500 back in the day! Those Japanese dudes know how to build em.

Turn up the mids! :laughing guy:

I haven't heard it yet.

There are many things to turn up on my graphic equalizer and digital amp, many dials to turn and buttons to push, it's mesmerizing!

I haven't heard it yet.

I shall never listen to VT Remix in your car then. :P

Its not the car, New Dream Theater, CA and everything else sounds just fine! :dweez: :chickendance: :dweez:

I haven't heard it yet.

There are many things to turn up on my graphic equalizer and digital amp, many dials to turn and buttons to push, it's mesmerizing!

Well turning knobs is always fun. And my favorite National past time!

Edited by losingit2k

I haven't heard it yet.

Aye! :hail:

• Like 1

I haven't heard it yet.

I though that was "polishing knobs".