peaceable kingdom static?

lifeson90

Ok soz if already addressed but peaceable kingdom issue here, has anyone noticed any serious background static in certain heavier parts of the track? For example the first incidence occurs around 43 secs in but repeats a cpl times later.

Im only askin as its really bad and doesnt happen on original. heard it on rolling stones stream first but dismissed as possible streaming issue then heard on itunes mp3s. Just hoping isnt on cd when arrives is awful crackling cant possibly be deliberate surely.

Anyway if this turns out to be my headphones or anythin silly like that, apologies and let the thread disappear plz :)

Ok thx but are u sure, theres defo serious static in background on two of my soundsystems and is on my fone too. Occurs on both RS stream and itunes mp3s i really dont understand it if nobody else hearing. rest of album fine just 3 or 4 incidences when bass gets really heavy in PK.. like i said, first happens on 43 secs lasts for a good 4 or 5 secs. Soz for bein a pain :)

No honestly it doesnt happen on original ive checked. Next incidence of the static occurs 2min 35secs... you gotta listen to background it just sounds like blown speakers or something. Edited by lifeson90

I can hear a distorted guitar layer there, but no static or crackling. I listened to the CD on my stereo, MP3 rip on my iPod, and the Rolling Stone Stream on my computer. Are you listening through the same headphones each time?

No tried two headphones and listened to speakers too is all defo there at times i said 43 secs 2min 35secs 4min 35 secs lasting a good few seconds each time and is really bad like it cant be meant to be there two different sources rs stream and itunes i dont get it. But ty anyway for taking time to check. Edited by lifeson90

No tried two headphones and listened to speakers too is all defo there at times i said 43 secs 2min 35secs 4min 35 secs lasting a good few seconds each time and is really bad like it cant be meant to be there two different sources rs stream and itunes i dont get it. But ty anyway for taking time to check.

I hear it on the RS feed (the only souce I've listened to). I think it may be one of Geddy's bass tracks that was either recorded too hot during those sections, or was intentionally overdriven. My hunch is that you'll hear it no matter what source you listen to.

I can hear the bass and I can hear a distorted guitar layer, but nothing that can be described as static. Maybe my ears aren't up to it!

Depending on the frequency, I think distortion could be described as static. We can't hear whatever the OP is hearing the way it sounds in his ears (cuz we ain't got his ears), so you have to be somewhat flexible with your definitions.

To my ears it sounds like there's an additional bass track during those sections that is pounding along with the kick drum and that that is the source of what I'm hearing, distortion-wise (the guitar is distorted too, but this is lower in pitch than the guitar), but it could also be the kick drum itself that is the source of the noise.

• Like 1

I think what you're hearing is one of the background vocal tracks which is mixed in what I would call an odd way.

There are several different vocal tracks in play during those segments and one of them is treated in a very strange manner.

To my ears it sounds like there's an additional bass track during those sections that is pounding along with the kick drum and that that is the source of what I'm hearing, distortion-wise (the guitar is distorted too, but this is lower in pitch than the guitar), but it could also be the kick drum itself that is the source of the noise.

I can hear the bass, but I'd describe that as a growl. The kick drum sounds very clear to me, so I'm not sure that's what the OP was meaning.

I think what you're hearing is one of the background vocal tracks which is mixed in what I would call an odd way.

There are several different vocal tracks in play during those segments and one of them is treated in a very strange manner.

Yes, I hear one vocal track that's mixed to sound 'wide'- almost as though it's coming from far left, and it's similar in frequency to a guitar sound that's almost a 'crackle'. Perhaps that's it?

I've had the whole family in here asking them if they can hear a sound like static!

There's nothing wrong with my neighbour's ears, they just asked me if I have a new record, since I've been playing the same thing over and over. Oops! :LOL:

Hey thanks to all of ya who took the time, snaked who got ya whole family in (thank them for me too) bluefunk analog grownup (love the name btw) and jarg, who appears to at least confirm theres nothing wrong with my ears :) thanks a bunch ppl.
  • Like 2

Peaceble Kingdom could have easily been the best song on the album. The composition and groove are unmatched. To bad the quality of the recording was horrendous. Todem described it best by saying its "Demo" quality. Alex and Geddy's decision to use those pounding Interlocked chords in the verses was just terrible. It detrails the entire song in those brief moments. The Remix does it justice by cleaning the surrounding parts but theres just nothing that can be done with the verses. Its clearly a case of:

"CRAP IN, CRAP OUT!"

At least I can listen to the song now. Which a hugh improvement from the original which I just could enjoy at all.

:codger:

Peaceble Kingdom could have easily been the best song on the album. The composition and groove are unmatched. To bad the quality of the recording was horrendous. Todem described it best by saying its "Demo" quality. Alex and Geddy's decision to use those pounding Interlocked chords in the verses was just terrible. It detrails the entire song in those brief moments. The Remix does it justice by cleaning the surrounding parts but theres just nothing that can be done with the verses. Its clearly a case of:

"CRAP IN, CRAP OUT!"

At least I can listen to the song now. Which a hugh improvement from the original which I just could enjoy at all.

Funny though that is what I like about that song. The gritty pounding verses with Geddy's vocal lines on top. The way he sings them and the melody is a nice contrast to the instruments. :)

"CRAP IN, CRAP OUT!"

Funny though that is what I like about that song. The gritty pounding verses with Geddy's vocal lines on top. The way he sings them and the melody is a nice contrast to the instruments. :)

I'm talking about the part with the words:

Justice against the hanged man

Knight of Wands against the hour

Swords against the kingdom

Time against the tower

and then again on :

The hermit against the lovers

Or the devil against the fool

The wheel against the rules

Yes! Geddy's voice sounds great, thanks God. but this part of the song just ruins it for me. Those chords are just indiscernible. Geddy playing chords while Alex is playing chords, just sounds way to cluttered and convoluted for that simple part to me. There's no distinct tone to those chords. They just sound grungy for the sake of grunge. The rest of the song is just brilliant! :finbar:

Edited by losingit2k

"CRAP IN, CRAP OUT!"

I'm talking about the part with the words: Justice against the hanged man

Time against the tower and then again on : The hermit against the lovers

I am too :D

"CRAP IN, CRAP OUT!"

I'm talking about the part with the words: Justice against the hanged man

Time against the tower and then again on : The hermit against the lovers

I am too :D

It just a personal taste then. I guess you just like the grungy nature of them. While I'd preferred something more refined.

Edited by losingit2k
  • Like 1