For those of you who have purchased the 1989-2007 boxed set...

Captain Avatar

is it true that Presto thru Snakes and Arrows are the 2011 remasters done by Andy Vandette? I've only seen this mentioned on the Power Windows website...

Originally scheduled for release October 1st, Vapor Trails Remixed is now available today, September 30th. Vapor Trails Remixed is available on both CD and vinyl, and as part of Rush: The Studio Albums 1989-2007(which contains remastered versions of the rest of the Atlantic Rush catalog)

Can anyone confirm this to be true?

From a Masterdisk newsletter earlier this year:

Rush fans rejoice! Andy VanDette's highly-acclaimed remastering work for Rush continues! Andy recently completed the series of albums from 1989's "Presto" to 2007's "Snakes and Arrows." The new remasters will first see release at the Mastered for iTunes store, then HD Tracks, and later in physical formats.

My VT remix says Mastered by Andy VanDette instead of Howie Weinberg, so that's a yes.

• Like 1

There are currently four reviews of this on Amazon. Each review indicates that something was changed from the original mixes. I wish I had known that ahead of time.

So the thing in the title that said this was Vapor Trails Remixed didn't tip you off?

No. I'm sorry. The fact that it said that the VT album was remixed but made no mention of the other albums being redone in any fashion whatsoever didn't tip me off to the fact that they actually were.

None of the reviews mentions the other albums being remixed. Or even that anything was changed. Just that the remasters may sound sonically better.

I just received it today, so I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet. If anyone cares about the details of the boxset itself, the size of the box is about half that of the sectors. The provided booklet is simply lyrics, no pictures at all. The albums are ok, feel a bit flimsy but still cool. I think they are accurate reproductions, don't hold me to that one. They don't have sleeves for the cds though, so they may get scratched. All in all though, its great value! I wish we would've gotten the old VT along with the remix... Just would have been interesting. I can't wait to listen to this stuff!!!

I just received it today, so I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet. If anyone cares about the details of the boxset itself, the size of the box is about half that of the sectors. The provided booklet is simply lyrics, no pictures at all. The albums are ok, feel a bit flimsy but still cool. I think they are accurate reproductions, don't hold me to that one. They don't have sleeves for the cds though, so they may get scratched. All in all though, its great value! I wish we would've gotten the old VT along with the remix... Just would have been interesting. I can't wait to listen to this stuff!!!

No sleeves? What do you want for 50 bucks :wtf:
  • Like 1

37 bucks on Amazon.

37 bucks on Amazon.

The sector boxsets came with sleeves and were priced within the same range. I personally could care less if they came with sleeves. I just wanted to point that out for anyone who would be expecting it...

Thanks for the info. Since the set doesn't state that they are 2011 remasters, it makes me think that they might not be, especially given how much they stressed it for the sectors sets.

There is no info in the set about remastering. Actually, there is nothing but lyrics in the booklet. No liner notes, mastering, engineer, etc. So apart from VT having a mention on the sleeve about Bottrill mixing, there is nothing else for the others. I know it's a low price for 7 CDs, I expected something like the other 3 sectors sets.

There is no info in the set about remastering. Actually, there is nothing but lyrics in the booklet. No liner notes, mastering, engineer, etc. So apart from VT having a mention on the sleeve about Bottrill mixing, there is nothing else for the others. I know it's a low price for 7 CDs, I expected something like the other 3 sectors sets.

After listening to these, I feel that there is a crisp definition to them... Maybe they were just tweaked/are the itunes version updated version on CD. They sound very good regardless!

After listening to these, I feel that there is a crisp definition to them... Maybe they were just tweaked/are the itunes version updated version on CD. They sound very good regardless!

Awesome! Thanks for following up on that! I never picked up the 2004 remasters, so I was thinking about getting the whole set, but I wanted to make sure they had been remastered. I don't like the sound of my original Presto and Roll the Bones cds. I'm hoping these are an improvement.

Awesome! Thanks for following up on that! I never picked up the 2004 remasters, so I was thinking about getting the whole set, but I wanted to make sure they had been remastered. I don't like the sound of my original Presto and Roll the Bones cds. I'm hoping these are an improvement.

It's honestly worth the value at like $5.50 a CD...

• Like 1

Thanks for the confirmation- I have the set but haven't listened to it yet. I did look on the packaging though and there's no mention that they are remixes; you'd think they would make it more apparent.

Thanks for the confirmation- I have the set but haven't listened to it yet. I did look on the packaging though and there's no mention that they are remixes; you'd think they would make it more apparent.

Only VT is a remix. The rest are remastered.

• Like 1

Only VT is a remix. The rest are remastered.

Sorry, that was a mistake- I meant remasters! ;) Thanks for the correction.

So whats the verdict? Does the remastered Presto and Roll the Bones have more balls now? Because, this would be the only reason I would want to obtain this! :huh:

I mean, they sound much clearer and accented. There really weren't major differences, but they were really subtle. It just felt cleaner. I mean maybe its a placebo effect where I just think it sounds better because it supposed to be a "Remaster." I think its worth it, but I'd like to know more about what you'd consider to be the next stage of ballsiness, and I can try to answer questions...

• Like 1

So whats the verdict? Does the remastered Presto and Roll the Bones have more balls now? Because, this would be the only reason I would want to obtain this! :huh:

I mean, they sound much clearer and accented. There really weren't major differences, but they were really subtle. It just felt cleaner. I mean maybe its a placebo effect where I just think it sounds better because it supposed to be a "Remaster." I think its worth it, but I'd like to know more about what you'd consider to be the next stage of ballsiness, and I can try to answer questions...

Sorry for the double post, but in terms of bass definition and the bottom end, there is a clarity present that differs from the original track I have. Now, there is a little bit of volume editing. I think this version has been made louder is some parts, but its not throughout the entirety of tracks. I personally prefer these versions to the others. I am not an audiophile by any means though, so its up to you. Like I said before its great value regardless, but if you already have the albums 2 times over or 3 times over, whats the point for a 4th?