Has the Remix of VT lifted the Album's position past others.

losingit2k

Has VT surpassed other albums  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Has the Remix of VT lifted the album past others you appreciated more prior.

• Yes
    • No

I'm not voting—at least not yet. Since the release of CA (which I rank around #8), VT sits at the #11 spot after Signals at #10. I've only listened to the remix in my truck so far. I'll have to put it on my Ipod or listen to it on my home stereo to really get a new appreciation for it. But I can't believe it would surpass Signals. If I vote 'No' it implies a negative response. There should really be a 'same—but I like the remix better' option.
  • Like 1

Vapor Trails now replaces Hemispheres as my favorite Rush album. All it needed was a remix for me to understand these poignant and emotional songs. I now see the depth of their collective soul. A monumental achievement!

—Rushgoober

• Like 4

No. the answer for me is simple. The songwriting is just not up to par. It wasn't in 02 and it's not in 2013. it's not gonna work if you have poor source material. of the 20 albums. It's 3 way tied for worst with Rush, and Feedback. Yes i know feedback is just an EP, lol

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

Vapor Trails now replaces Hemispheres as my favorite Rush album. All it needed was a remix for me to understand these poignant and emotional songs. I now see the depth of their collective soul. A monumental achievement!

—Rushgoober

Good1........ :eyeroll:
  • Like 1

Only remixed versions truly better than originals for me are OLV which is brilliant and out of the cradle which is a slight improvement. The rest sorta wishy washy with good & bad points.

—Rushgoober

The following note arrived this morning at the Huguenot, smuggled out of Goober's cell on the back of a gerbil:

Please inform Tombstone to refrain from posting on TRF on my behalf, and be sure to post the attached image in the VT Remix thread for me.

-Gary

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-ps1K_eFnGRQ/UKOAjQxsj8I/AAAAAAAABFo/RnheK3duQP8/s1600/Screen+Shot+2012-11-14+at+9.50.32+PM.png

Edited by substancewithoutstyle
  • Like 4

I only voted no because "Out of the Cradle" can't be helped with a remix. Amazing how one track can change the whole thing.

Why the hate for that song?

It's not a place

It's a yearning

It's not a race

It's a journey

It's not an act

It's attraction

It's not a style

It's an action

It's a dream for the waking

It's a flower touched by flame

It's a gift for the giving

It's a power with a hundred names

Surge of energy, spark of inspiration

The breath of love is electricity

Maybe Time is bird in flight

Endlessly mocking

Here we come out of the cradle

Endlessly rocking

Endlessly rocking

It's a hand

That rocks the cradle

It's a motion

That swings the sky

It's method on the edge of madness

It's a balance on the edge of a knife

It's a smile on the edge of sadness

It's a dance on the edge of life

I like the lyrics, and the Walt Whitman influence. http://www.poets.org/viewmedia.php/prmMID/16404

O my...Vapor Trails is a really weak Rush album. Just...its the vocals...the strained melodies...the production...I really don't like it! I thought it would grow on me, but it is one of my least favourites. I prefer Test For Echo and Snakes And Arrows is a lot more interesting, although I struggle with that one as well!

I dislike the remix. Can't see the original being any better. The songs just aren't right. Not to my ears.

Looking at the discography of the millennium, I really am amazed by how grat CA ultimately turned out to be.

• Like 1

I only voted no because "Out of the Cradle" can't be helped with a remix. Amazing how one track can change the whole thing.

Why the hate for that song?

No real hate for the track. I just thought that they weren't really trying with that one. :huh:

No real change in position. It has been their best album of the last 20 years or so (yes, ranked slightly above Clockwork Angels), and the remaster is fine and maybe even necessary, but I have loved it before and still do so. Because of "Out of the Cradle", among others, BTW. I even started to like "The Stars look down". Leaves "How it is", which is not at all great, but no real stinker of the "Caravan" or "You Bet Your Life" kind ...

No real change in position. It has been their best album of the last 20 years or so (yes, ranked slightly above Clockwork Angels), and the remaster is fine and maybe even necessary, but I have loved it before and still do so. Because of "Out of the Cradle", among others, BTW. I even started to like "The Stars look down". Leaves "How it is", which is not at all great, but no real stinker of the "Caravan" or "You Bet Your Life" kind ...

Wow...I admit I believe each to their own...but how is Caravan a stinker? Like...its one of the best Rush songs ever!

Vapor Trails has always been a top 5 album for me based on the content alone.. now with the remix it's established it's place in my top 5 without any pause for concern whatsoever.

GREAT album and GREAT job by David Bottril to bring these wonderful songs to life.

Of course this is my never to be humbled opinion.. if you disagree that's fine, it just means you're wrong :P

I bought it when it was re-released and listened once then put it away. Just listened to it again while in the sauna, where I could give it a thorough listen and it sounds great. I'm giving it another spin right now. Very nice job Rush. I think this one will be in the rotation for ahwile.
  • Like 1

I kinda get some fans' hate goose coz outa the cradle didnt blow MY skirt up for a while at first but a year or so after release it sunk in as one of the band's finest and Al's solo bit is just one of the coolest things he ever done :) Edited by lifeson90
  • Like 1

It's still a troubled album. Neil hasn't left his past behind ('Ghost Rider', 'Nocturne'), yet lauds his present and future ('Sweet Miracle' 'Out of the Cradle'), while exploring the souring zeitgeist of the early-2000's ('That's How It Is', 'Freeze', 'Peaceable Kingdom').

As such, it vacillates between pssimism and optimism -- yet without cohesive oscillation of Signals, which explored themes of constraint and release in alternating songs.

Plus, I wish the engineer hadn't removed Neil's pronounced ride cymbal in many songs. Grrr....

Edit: 'Freeze' remains probably the best of the "Fear" sequence, though.

Edited by coventry
  • Like 1