Kind of an odd Rush reference

Slack jaw gaze

I watched Guitar Center Sessions on DirecTV this morning, and the guest was Fitz and the Tantrums. When asked about influences the female member of the band mentioned some non-surprising influences and also added that Rush was one of her favorites. It's on a proprietary DirecTV channel, so unless you get DirecTV you probably can't see the show. They replay the episodes pretty often, especially Saturday mornings.

They've had some pretty interesting guests, such as Joe Walsh, Smashing Pumkins, Alanis Morrisette, etc. Even though my music interests are pretty narrow, the shows are usually interesting.

I saw this too even though I ususally don't watch things that have newer artists (especially hipster looking bands with names like Fitz and the Tantrums). I was only watching it because I was still up at 7am drunkenly making some breakfast (aka late late dinner) and there was nothing else on. So I'm listening to them play a couple songs and dig the sound they're going for, but something about it just doesn't quite do it for me. Anyway, I'm about to turn the tv off because the singer dude sounds like a total douchehole in the interview part, and then the female vocalist starts listing off some of her influences. I think she named some RnB and soul singers and then was like, "oh and I grew up rocking out to Zeppelin" or something. Then as if she forgot to mention something of upmost importance she quickly added that she loves Rush. And she said it with a big Rush fan excitement in her voice. This is actually reminding me to give 'em a listen again to see if they grow on me.

So for me I found it surprising being that Rush was one of her influences being that she is a short haired black female whose vocal style is in the relm of old school soul singers who can harmonize like a mother f**ker. Oh and the band seemed kind of hipsterish, and hipsters are into music that makes them look cool as opposed to bands like Rush who make you look like a nerd. Geez sorry for the long winded response, but I like cool Rush fan moments. :ebert:

Did you find it surprising because it seemed out of place given her other influences, or because she's a female Rush fan?

The list of Rush fans who are blonde, buzz cut, African American singers for an indie soul/pop band with a shirt that says "Bitch" is probably not a long one. But I could be wrong. Edited by Slack jaw gaze

Did you find it surprising because it seemed out of place given her other influences, or because she's a female Rush fan?

The list of Rush fans who are blonde, buzz cut, African American singers for an indie soul/pop band with a shirt that says "Bitch" is probably not a long one. But I could be wrong.

Touche.

The list of Rush fans who are blonde, buzz cut, African American singers for an indie soul/pop band with a shirt that says "Bitch" is probably not a long one. But I could be wrong.

Your avatar is awesome.