Vapor Trails Remixed up on Rolling Stone Website

Joesaracer

I've always found the original VT pretty listenable, especially after the HDTracks version came out. That remaster sounds terrific. I didn't like the remixes on Retrospective 3 at all. Haven't listened to any of the streams of the new one but I'm excited to hear it, since it's one of my favorite albums of theirs.

Nobody's putting a gun to your head and saying you can only own one version of the album. If there are certain tracks you like better on the original version, just swap those out and burn a new copy or make a playlist.

• Like 3

bottom line - Rush fans have been begging the band to do something just like this with VT, and they did it. For that, most of us are grateful.

How many times have we seen threads such as "Petition to Get Vapor Trails Remixed!" throughout the last decade?

As far as the band making "inferior product" - I'll give them a pass on this one since they were going through a very tough time both personally and professionally. I know some treat them as if they're gods, but remember that they are human beings.

Clem

• Like 3

I like the clean sound, just not the added changes. The fadeout on "Out of the Cradle" was better with Geddy's vocal "endlessly rocking" which is not in the new mix. That should have stayed in.

IMO, Out Of the Cradle is the only song that didn't benefit from the remix. The changes are just too drastic. I will still revisit the original version often.

• Like 1

Waiting for the CD. Haven't yet heard a note of it.

Don't worry whatever happens you know you're gonna get a disc full of straight ahead heavy metal noise!!

:haz: :haz: :haz:

Noise is what I'm hoping to avoid.

Well Motley Crue made a career of making noise and you don't avoid that at all! :P

Again. The band have admitted that the original release of VT was faulty.

They have admitted HYF was flawed as well in more than one way. One by saying they went too far with keyboards. Another by saying Tai Shan was a mistake. All works of art (or even engineering) have flaws to the artist (or engineer). Your argument is ludicrous. But that's your wheelhouse.

What. The. f**k?? The fundamental difference here is the choices that were made in the mixing/mastering process which culminated in a sub standard piece of work. Jesus christ bananas, Geddy, Alex and Paul Northfield have acknowledged this and this has nothing to do with "art". Whether or not the "artist" views the work as successful or not is a whole lot different to the issue here of the band acknowledging that we got wasn't the "art" they intended due to mistakes THEY made. The BAND has said that what was served up wasn't what they recorded. How f***ing difficult is this to understand???

Edited by Sin City
  • Like 1

The only difference is the explicit vs. implicit rationale that they feel they are putting out a better product.

The only difference is the explicit vs. implicit rationale that they feel they are putting out a better product.

But those self-same people released the album in the first place.

Yup. Just like they released EVERY album that they re-released. And re-re-released.

You weren't under any obligation to buy them then or now.

Again. The band have admitted that the original release of VT was faulty. Thy product is only better in the sense that it isn't broken. It's cheap minced beef to the original's horse meat. Lots of people convinced themselves they liked the taste of the meat in their lasagne until they realised it was horse and not beef.

The band thinks it's better. Not everyone agrees. Those that do, can buy it, or not. Those that don't won't. Some people don't like either version and just want to complain about it regardless. Each to their own. The original wasn't broken, it just wan't as good quality as the band, with 20/20 hindsight, wanted it to be. If the band thought all the originals were perfect they wouldn't keep remastering and issuing new versions for sale. As most bands/record companies have been doing.

What would you have them do, give it away ? So theoretically people who didn't have the first "broken" one could now get one for free ?

So they had a less than perfect album and you don't like it, Don't buy it. People have been calling for a remix for years, now they have it and surprise! Not everyone is happy :doh:

Stop complaining and go away if you don't like VT :beathorse: :sarcastic:

• Like 1

I'm rebutting the erroneous belief by some that they have some kind of entitlement to the new album based on some kind of faulty legal reasoning. The end user is entitled to nothing more than some kind of sound commensurate to what's on the package label. Period. The goodness, badness, rightness, or wrongness of it is subjective and irrelevant. They have no entitlement to any specific process (or lack of process) in creating that sound.

If there were "errors" in the process, the band could possibly have legal recourse depending on their contract. The end user has absolutely no legal standing in the process used. Just because you are obsessive, know-it-all music geeks does not change your lack of legal standing.

How hard it that to understand? Very, for some.

Edited by Slack jaw gaze
  • Like 2

So Thrilled it was remixed and mastered.

I remember when it came out.....after the initial jubilation of knowing they were back....having new material to listen to after 5 long years.....it wore off quickly when I came to the realization....that despite the heart, passion and soul that went into the lyrics by Neil and the in your face riff laden song writing of Geddy and Alex....the sonic quality of this album was so sub standard and so below the excellence that I had grown accustomed to by the band.

I was really shocked this was allowed to be released by the band. The drums were complete garbage, the digital distortion so freaking evident.....it was a real shock.

But like most....I gave them a hall pass on this one. Because it was a first for me to be really underwhelmed by Rush's production. It has always been (since 2112 forget the first three albums...they really started hitting the production wheelhouse starting with 2112...let's be real here) top notch.

So.....this remix and remaster is for us. And that is awesome. They know the hardcore fan base has been pounding the sand hoping to get a remix/remaster and they delivered.

Like they always seem to do for us.

• Like 9

Waiting for the CD. Haven't yet heard a note of it.

Don't worry whatever happens you know you're gonna get a disc full of straight ahead heavy metal noise!!

:haz: :haz: :haz:

Noise is what I'm hoping to avoid.

Well Motley Crue made a career of making noise and you don't avoid that at all! :P

Touche, bitch.

Personally I haven't really listened to the songs much at all except the live versions ,so I'll kind of be hearing it with new ears. I'll be interested to to hear what people have to say when they actually get the CD rather than downloading off the Internet.

Personally I haven't really listened to the songs much at all except the live versions ,so I'll kind of be hearing it with new ears. I'll be interested to to hear what people have to say when they actually get the CD rather than downloading off the Internet.

I have the CD. It's a major improvement.

On Saturday I went to Vintage Vinyl in New Jersey. They had the box set and the vinyl. I bought both.

• Like 2

If they tour again. The new "Ceiling Unlimited" has to be in the setlist.

Not to mention Sweet Miracle, Vapor Trails and Freeze that never have been played live.

And of course I want to hold your hand, Help , and Fixin a Hole

• Like 1

I'm rebutting the erroneous belief by some that they have some kind of entitlement to the new album based on some kind of faulty legal reasoning. The end user is entitled to nothing more than some kind of sound commensurate to what's on the package label. Period. The goodness, badness, rightness, or wrongness of it is subjective and irrelevant. They have no entitlement to any specific process (or lack of process) in creating that sound.

If there were "errors" in the process, the band could possibly have legal recourse depending on their contract. The end user has absolutely no legal standing in the process used. Just because you are obsessive, know-it-all music geeks does not change your lack of legal standing.

How hard it that to understand? Very, for some.

Who mentioned anything about legalities?? It's not about entitlement at all, more a moral reponsibility, given that the end product was defective irrespective of errors which by the way would not be any kind of argument legally, accidental or not. In the UK, under the sale of goods act if something is not for the purpose it was intended for you are entitled to a replacement or refund. As VT was unlistenable due to th errors, how could it not be fit for purpose??

IMHO the remix was a terrible idea. should of left well enough alone and focused on something else. admit your mistakes and move on.

then again in terms of a quick cash in with minimal effort the remix was just what the doctor ordered.....

i have already read elsewhere people saying that Clockwork Angels needs to be remixed now to correct its flaws.

Given the very low price of this remix cd and the expenses of remixing it, pressing in on vinyl and cd, new cover art and packaging, I don't think this is a cash cow. My record dealer only takes preorders of the vinyl and one of the big franchises in Denmark is only taking like 3 cd's per store. I'm buying one of them, and I bet the other two will sit there for a while.