Vapor Trails Remixed up on Rolling Stone Website

Joesaracer

I've just listened to the CD on headphones out in the wild. I made a one hour bike trip on a wilderness road (like a ghost rider).

It's like listening to an album how it ought to be - shining. It's great to discover the new mix with all those familiar songs and it feels like meeting a good friend that you haven't seen in years. Now it's what it was supposed to be - an endlessly rocking record. :rush:

• Like 1

To those who are unhappy with the REMIX due to the changes in the mix you should look at either the HDTracks.com version of the original or the 'Mastered for iTunes' version depending on your needs.

Both get very decent reviews and are the original mix, just a new/better mastering job.

Good point, illustrates the difference between remastered and remixed. The guy that did the remaster for HD Tracks / iTunes spent four days on it and did a fantastic job in terms of getting rid of the clipping and distortion and Improving the seperation and clarity whilst keeping the original mix. I think the original problem was the mastering. Having said that the remix sounds excellent as well.

Edited by Duke1

I've just listened to the CD on headphones out in the wild. I made a one hour bike trip on a wilderness road (like a ghost rider).

It's like listening to an album how it ought to be - shining. It's great to discover the new mix with all those familiar songs and it feels like meeting a good friend that you haven't seen in years. Now it's what it was supposed to be - an endlessly rocking record. :rush:

Hahaha! I just got back from 90 minute bike trip where I tried out some new portable speakers (I don't like to ride with headphones)... The CD of choice was the HDTracks remaster!!!! Vapor Trails has mostly been my preferred riding CD since 2002!! :cheers:

• Like 2

I may feel differently next week, but Vapor Trails is reborn. I still think the album is too long and some of the songs sound too similiar to each other. But where it used to be relentless (not in a good way), it's now appealing. You can finally focus on what each member brings to a song. It's listening to a Rush album the way a Rush album needs to be listened to.
  • Like 7

Now, perhaps people will hear what i have been saying for years.This album is a Classic,and this new remix truly shows that :rush:

Agreed, this is what this album should have always sounded like! I Love the separation of instruments and Geddy's voice throughout. For :rush: "The time is now again" !! :dweez: :chickendance: :dweez:

I really like what I'm hearing.......what's with all the Debbie Downers??

I'll tell you what it is! They can feel the one negative aspect they could gripe about concerning Vapor Trails slipping away! VT is crap no longer! :rush: with the precision of a surgeon, has removed the noticeable tumor that was Vapor Trails which they all enjoyed making an example of! Oh Sweet Miracle of life!

Edited by losingit2k

I finally succumbed and went on the RS stream.

Better but not brilliant.

Yes, the mixes are vastly improved. The material is still the material.

Edited by JARG

So, do all the songs have an added solo now, or just CU.

Does this mean we can slightly forget the original version and just pretend that all we have is the Remix?

Can't wait to get this. Ordered online from an American site, but live in Australia.

So, do all the songs have an added solo now, or just CU.

Does this mean we can slightly forget the original version and just pretend that all we have is the Remix?

Can't wait to get this. Ordered online from an American site, but live in Australia.

No, not all the songs have solos. Only CU and OLV but there are some real changes to the mix throughout the album that make it very unique.

• Like 1

, has removed the noticeable tumor that was Vapor Trails which they all enjoyed making an example of! Oh Sweet Miracle of life!

Vapor Trails was never a tumor to begin with. :madra: Hadn't yet ordered the remix because I'm a cheapskate about rebuying a CD when my original copy still plays perfect. But I'll be getting it now thanks to the raves I've seen here :cheers:

And to those opposed... :nya nya:

Very, very good. From not going to bother I will buy the remix. One thing that does stand out (for me) from listening to this with the drums being so much clearer is that Pearts's drumming isn't quite up to where he was and a real sense of him coming back to life as a musician.
  • Like 1

Very, very good. From not going to bother I will buy the remix. One thing that does stand out (for me) from listening to this with the drums being so much clearer is that Pearts's drumming isn't quite up to where he was and a real sense of him coming back to life as a musician.

Yeah, from the few bits I listened to (I'm keeping most of the surprise for when I get the CD), I did notice the snare lagging in places, and other little things that I never noticed in the originals...

Had a good listen last night and sorry to say will be sticking to original.

Too much unnecessary added and too much necessary taken away.

Tracks like secret touch just changed for change's sake altered with important focal points just stripped away

You dont f*ck around with secret touch is a rush classic.

was interested to hear a cleaned up album with maybe little tweaks but this is butchery.

its somebody elses interpretation of the album.

i didnt sign up for that.

and way too much echo of geddys vocals. an album doesnt improve by making the singer echo more. I mean whats that about.

no ill be sticking with original ty very much.

How do you know that the remix isn't the way the album was supposed to be and the "added in" stuff had to be discarded because it was unusable?

Listen Tony he didn't sign up for more of your nonsense!! :smash:

He signed up for...

http://i.imgur.com/pIaQhcg.jpg

Where do I sign up?

Had a good listen last night and sorry to say will be sticking to original.

Too much unnecessary added and too much necessary taken away.

Tracks like secret touch just changed for change's sake altered with important focal points just stripped away

You dont f*ck around with secret touch is a rush classic.

was interested to hear a cleaned up album with maybe little tweaks but this is butchery.

its somebody elses interpretation of the album.

i didnt sign up for that.

and way too much echo of geddys vocals. an album doesnt improve by making the singer echo more. I mean whats that about.

no ill be sticking with original ty very much.

How do you know that the remix isn't the way the album was supposed to be and the "added in" stuff had to be discarded because it was unusable?

Listen Tony he didn't sign up for more of your nonsense!! :smash:

He signed up for...

http://i.imgur.com/pIaQhcg.jpg

Where do I sign up?

We're still working that one out! :wacko:

I think this whole remix thing has really demonstrated something to me, and that is---Vapor Trails was excellent, but unlistenable. I remember calling my best friend the day Vapor Trails came out and saying how horrible it was to listen to...that I "got" the songs, but it sounded like it was recorded and mixed "in an old metal garbage can" and how I just could not stand it. I heard it on our local rock station on the way home from work that day and was wondering what was wrong with the mix of OLV right away. It sounded muddy and strange. To make matters worse, I bought another copy of it hoping that there was just something wrong with my copy, and even downloaded it on iTunes to see if that version was any better. The answer was always no..no..and no. Hearing this remix has simply lifted this huge stain off of Rush's catalog IMHO. Listening to Rolling Stone's link to this album has been such a joy! I am on my 5th total run through and it just keeps getting better and better. Rush should definitely get David Botrill to help them as a consultant with any future endeavors.
  • Like 1

IMHO the remix was a terrible idea. should of left well enough alone and focused on something else. admit your mistakes and move on.

then again in terms of a quick cash in with minimal effort the remix was just what the doctor ordered.....

i have already read elsewhere people saying that Clockwork Angels needs to be remixed now to correct its flaws.