R&RHOF Presentation

andreww

Rush frontman Geddy Lee admits he wasn’t comfortable during Alex Lifeson’s Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame speech in April.

The guitarist spent nearly three minutes saying “blah blah blah” as he mimed his reaction to being told the Canadian three-piece had finally been chosen for induction.

But while the crowd loved it, bandmates Lee and Neil Peart were less pleased.

Lee tells Rolling Stone: “He didn’t tell us he was doing that – in fact, I know he had a whole other speech planned. Neil and I thought he had lost his marbles when he was talking.

“You can see the look on our faces behind him, going, ‘What the f**k is he doing?’ And of course, we couldn’t see him act it all out – we just kept hearing ‘blah blah blah.’

“He’s genuinely one of the funniest people you’d ever meet in your life. But I wanted to kill him at the three-minute mark. Neil and I were threatening to knock him on the head and drag him offstage.”

Lee believes the band’s acclaimed documentary Beyond The Lighted Stage went some way to convincing Rock Hall bosses to end their snub of his band.

“I think it showed what a vast and diverse audience we have, and the effect our music has had on young players,” says the bassist and vocalist. “One of the criteria of the Hall Of Fame is influence; I think it’s easy to see that in the film.”

Rush will release their Clockwork Angels Live DVD in November, and a seven-disc Studio Albumsretrospective set appears on the same day. A remastered version of 2002 record Vapor Trails is launched on September 30.

• Like 1

I was fortunate to be able to be there live in the audience and I thought it was hysterical. Granted, if Geddy and Neil were able to see Alex's facial expressions they may have been more lighthearted about it.
  • Like 2

From what I could tell Alex wanted to say what he really felt but didn't want to be rude. So he basically told the story of how they were ignored for so long, how he didn't really give a crap, that the whole thing was bull$hit, and how he was actually happy when they finally were voted in. Alex was more honest with one word than anybody else that night (with the possible exception of Dave Grohl)
  • Like 6

I was fortunate to be able to be there live in the audience and I thought it was hysterical. Granted, if Geddy and Neil were able to see Alex's facial expressions they may have been more lighthearted about it.

Exactly! His expressions and body language were key to the whole bit. Once you got a handle on what he was doing, you could follow right along and actually understand what he was "saying". Great stuff - you gotta love the guy's sense of humor.

with the possible exception of Dave Grohl

I was actually surprised at how star-struck Dave & Taylor were. I was even more surprised when Taylor mispronounced Peart!

Edited by FOH Lights
  • Like 2

Rush frontman Geddy Lee admits he wasn’t comfortable during Alex Lifeson’s Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame speech in April.

The guitarist spent nearly three minutes saying “blah blah blah” as he mimed his reaction to being told the Canadian three-piece had finally been chosen for induction.

But while the crowd loved it, bandmates Lee and Neil Peart were less pleased.

Lee tells Rolling Stone: “He didn’t tell us he was doing that – in fact, I know he had a whole other speech planned. Neil and I thought he had lost his marbles when he was talking.

“You can see the look on our faces behind him, going, ‘What the f**k is he doing?’ And of course, we couldn’t see him act it all out – we just kept hearing ‘blah blah blah.’

“He’s genuinely one of the funniest people you’d ever meet in your life. But I wanted to kill him at the three-minute mark. Neil and I were threatening to knock him on the head and drag him offstage.”

Lee believes the band’s acclaimed documentary Beyond The Lighted Stage went some way to convincing Rock Hall bosses to end their snub of his band.

“I think it showed what a vast and diverse audience we have, and the effect our music has had on young players,” says the bassist and vocalist. “One of the criteria of the Hall Of Fame is influence; I think it’s easy to see that in the film.”

Rush will release their Clockwork Angels Live DVD in November, and a seven-disc Studio Albumsretrospective set appears on the same day. A remastered version of 2002 record Vapor Trails is launched on September 30.

I heard or read the original interview way back when and this writer is putting an overly negative spin on it.

Lexst did performance art -- brilliant!!

http://i.imgur.com/vmiklub.jpg

• Like 1

It was a bit uncomfortable, for sure, especially how long it went on. Timing is everything in comedy, and if Alex was making a joke, then the joke long outstayed its welcome.

I think he wanted to make people squirm and the longer the better.

• Like 3

It was a bit uncomfortable, for sure, especially how long it went on. Timing is everything in comedy, and if Alex was making a joke, then the joke long outstayed its welcome.

I think he wanted to make people squirm and the longer the better.

Yeah, with the main HOF douchebag Jann Wenner doing the most

Squirming! Hooray for Alex! All of us Rush fans present in the room

fully understood his speech and were just howling with laughter! Just

priceless moments!

• Like 1