What One Single Thing about the Old Shows do you Like the Most?

Wingmaster

While interacting in another thread the topic of the older shows was comically introduced by one poster, which got me thinking.

What one single thing about the older shows, the ones from the '70s and early '80s, did you like the most?

Here are some options:

the simplicity of the stage set-up/props;

the more raw sound of not as enhanced live music;

the freedom to "light up";

the lighters;

the lesser security;

the open floor (in arenas where it was general admission and the floor was a free-for-all);

the warm-up band(s);

just the fact that it was in a different, perhaps better, era;

the fact that all we had for photo media back then was magazines pretty much, no ability to go all but see a live performance on YouTube or the like, making the mystique of seeing the band live worth that much more; ...

What did I miss?

Edited by Wingmaster

I think the last one on your list. It was so much more special to see them for the first time back in 79" with almost nothing to reference. Maybe one spot on Don Kirshners rock concert and a couple pics and a few uncomplimentary words in Creem magazine. Pretty much all i had was ATWAS to prepare me and they did not disappoint for sure.

Best thing for me back in the day was that you've had no information about the setlist at all. Every show was a big surprise.

And of course, I miss the bunnies from the RTB Tour. :D

• Like 4

1- they were not old. the sad fact is young dudes rock harder than old dudes. its like young atheletes versus senior citizens

2- they were releasing new material regulary

3-not having to compete on a computer with rich buttholes for the good seats

4- personally i prefer the older setlists

Edited by tangy

Best thing for me back in the day was that you've had no information about the setlist at all. Every show was a big surprise.
:notworthy:

Agree fully. It is indeed tough to avoid it these days and it can detract from things, although at least now I know the best time to pee. :cool:

:notworthy:

Agree fully. It is indeed tough to avoid it these days and it can detract from things, although at least now I know the best time to pee. :cool:

I've exactly gone that tough way for the CA Tour. I was almost 7 month in the bunker with no setlist info at all. Man it was hard but when the first show started and the keys of Subdivisions set in, it was a blast.

Geddy's voice was better and the mix was clearer. Prime example: The GUP tour DVD.

P.S: And double bass drums! I miss Neil's 2 kicks!

And of course, I miss the bunnies from the RTB Tour. :D

They had the bunnies for the CP tour too. I remember there was a cartoon bullet on the movie screen and it shot the bunny and it deflated. I remember it clearly, it was my first Rush concert. Who knew that would be the last time they'd ever play any of Hemispheres!

I think I miss not having overdubs/backing tracks, etc. I like just keys and the guys. I sometimes wonder if they are any better than Ashley Simpson now...

There was a minor trainwreck at the Buffalo show this tour during Far Cry where the 1000 Geddy's came in too early. Painful.

• Like 1

The light shows were much better, and i actually think i enjoyed the opening band days. Gave the sound crews an opportunity to fix the sound before Rush went on stage. I always notice at Rush shows that the sound is from poor to good in the first set, then awesome in the second.
  • Like 1

My first show was in '92, so I didn't get to see the really classic period Rush live... I was just too young.

I got a few bootlegs though. My favorite is the St. Louis '80 show. Obviously, the setlist would be #1.... hearing anything from Kings or Hemispheres that they can't play anymore due to the vocals. The vintage equipment. The Ampeg stacks, the double-necks, the Moogs and Oberheims, the Taurus pedals, the Tamas and Slingerlands.

• Like 3

Neils double kick Ludwigs and Tama's! Your Neil F'n Peart! ROCK DRUMMER not a wanna be DW drum JAZZ drummer. DW drums SUCK for want Neil Peart has gotten out of them.

Like others have said, I miss the real key's especially the Moog Taurus Pedals. RUSH has never had the same live bottom end since retiring them back in 1990. God i hate SAMPLES!

• Like 1

Cow bells and large toms cool syncopated rhythms section in the drum solo.

http://blog.kikscore.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/SNL_Fever_Cowbell_Black_Shirt.jpg

And Lerxst introducing the band.

You know what I *don't* miss? How difficult it was to find out about upcoming shows. As a teenager in the early 80s I only saw Rush once because that was the only time I heard about them coming to my area (never mind shows in other cities—I never would have been able to get info on them). It wasn't until recently that I discovered I missed several shows/tours because I never saw they were happening :(