Bring back the jams!

cmaj7flat5

So the last tour was amazing fer sher, but I have to say I really did miss the jam space that they got into in "Working Man" last tour. It had an energy to it that you don't find anywhere else in their set. The problem is, of course, that nobody (me included) cares to hear "Working Man" for the ten hundredth time. So, boys, my suggestion to remedy this problem, if we are lucky enough to be blessed with another tour, is to pick another song to jam in! (Genuis, I know.) How about "By-Tor"? It makes a lot of sense considering parts of "ByTor" were originally pilfered from the Working Man jams of late '74, right? Or... I was listening to "Alien Shore" today and realized that this is another great candidate. The guitar solo starts out with a lot of space, and could build gradually until Alex & Ged hit that unison line together right before the super-funky (for Rush, anyway) breakdown that goes into the last verse. I know in interviews they talked about it as being one of the highlights of Time Machine for them. So c'mon, guys - bring back the jams!
  • Like 2

Agreed. ATWAS was the first album purchase of my young life back in 76'. To this day it is still my favorite by them or anyone else. In my view this is RUSH at their best. I miss Ged's young voice that annoyed so many and raw, loud guitar, bass and drums. Even In The End and Lakeside Park rock on that record.
  • Like 1

So the last tour was amazing fer sher, but I have to say I really did miss the jam space that they got into in "Working Man" last tour. It had an energy to it that you don't find anywhere else in their set. The problem is, of course, that nobody (me included) cares to hear "Working Man" for the ten hundredth time. So, boys, my suggestion to remedy this problem, if we are lucky enough to be blessed with another tour, is to pick another song to jam in! (Genuis, I know.) How about "By-Tor"? It makes a lot of sense considering parts of "ByTor" were originally pilfered from the Working Man jams of late '74, right? Or... I was listening to "Alien Shore" today and realized that this is another great candidate. The guitar solo starts out with a lot of space, and could build gradually until Alex & Ged hit that unison line together right before the super-funky (for Rush, anyway) breakdown that goes into the last verse. I know in interviews they talked about it as being one of the highlights of Time Machine for them. So c'mon, guys - bring back the jams!

While I agree in general, I want no part of Alien Shore in concert.

Edited by LedRush
  • Like 2

I kind of miss the longer medleys that used to kick off the encore. I realize Ged might not be able to hit those high notes on those early tunes, but it would be still nice to hear snippets, even if the were instrumental parts. The first four albums are what made the band, it kinda irks me when they decide to ignore that entire era at their shows.
  • Like 2

no part of ... LOL

I hear ya tho. Not a great live tune at all. Frankly, not one of their better tunes either.

• Like 1

I kind of miss the longer medleys that used to kick off the encore. I realize Ged might not be able to hit those high notes on those early tunes, but it would be still nice to hear snippets, even if the were instrumental parts. The first four albums are what made the band, it kinda irks me when they decide to ignore that entire era at their shows.

I agree. I wish/hope that on the next tour they allow for some greater flexibility. I agree with Eaglemoon's comments on the show being all mapped out.

I'd love to see some more jam spontaneity, even if they make the shit up on the fly, or perhaps especially so.

Their monster musicians, do something different, even maybe a cover or two, I think that Geddy could sing the shit outta a song like Stairway to Heaven. I think that would be refreshing.

Maybe they can write a new 20 minute instrumental that ties their entire career together for the next show or something.

IDK, they're just so ridiculously talented that I simply enjoy watching them play. Clearly Geddy's going to have to be very selective with which tunes they play so that he can keep up voice wise. At his age the aging process gets semi-exponential, eh.

Edited by Wingmaster

I agree. I kind of miss the days of spontaneity where everything wasn't completely mapped out to click tracks and samples.

They don't actually use clicks, and the samples are triggered in the fly, so in theory they don't stand in the way of jams or extending arrangements.

• Like 1

I agree. I kind of miss the days of spontaneity where everything wasn't completely mapped out to click tracks and samples.

And lights AND videos....

I desperately want them to bring back Vapor Trails or Test for Echo. Not many people like those albums in general, but there is no doubt that there are a few masterpieces from those records. It'll be a great thing to listen to and behold.
  • Like 2

I desperately want them to bring back Vapor Trails or Test for Echo. Not many people like those albums in general, but there is no doubt that there are a few masterpieces from those records. It'll be a great thing to listen to and behold.

Agreed completely. I think about half of the songs on both of those albums can work out very well live. I'm not saying they should play half...I'd get hard to hear one off of each the albums, and I'd explode if we got two. And, I think that the crowd of casuals would react much better to the right songs off of those albums than most of the synth era stuff we got last tour. (That doesn't mean I don't appreciate the stuff...merely an observation of the [lack of] audience reaction during those songs.

In 2015 not only will it be the 35th Anniversary of Permanent Waves which they should present in its entirety but it will also be the 40th Anniversary of Fly By Night and Caress of Steel. I wish they give us a bit of both or mainly this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJyX6izCL6o Edited by losingit2k
  • Like 2

A thousand Amen's to that! Play All The Worlds A Stage start to finish and an old fan like me would be happy.
  • Like 1

A thousand Amen's to that! Play All The Worlds A Stage start to finish and an old fan like me would be happy.

It would all sound completely different. Unfortunately, Geddy can tackle those high notes like that any longer.

no part of ... LOL

I hear ya tho. Not a great live tune at all. Frankly, not one of their better tunes either.

Oh I disagree with this assesment completely! I think Alien Shore would be awesome live. It has a quick tempo. Its Heavy Chorus Rock and the versers are so funky and rhythmic, not to mention the break around 3:23 holds one of Alex's best leads followed by another great funky bass slapping verse at 4:08. They would rock this!

Edited by losingit2k
  • Like 2

I think Alien Shore would be awesome live. It has a quick tempo. Its Heavy Chorus Rock and the versers are so funky and rhythmic, not to mention the break around 3:23 holds one of Alex's best leads followed by another great funky bass slapping verse at 4:08. They would rock this!

I agree. Alien Shore has some great basslines and great hooks. It and Cut to the Chase should both be dug out of the vault and played during the next tour.

• Like 2

I think Alien Shore would be awesome live. It has a quick tempo. Its Heavy Chorus Rock and the versers are so funky and rhythmic, not to mention the break around 3:23 holds one of Alex's best leads followed by another great funky bass slapping verse at 4:08. They would rock this!

I agree. Alien Shore has some great basslines and great hooks. It and Cut to the Chase should both be dug out of the vault and played during the next tour.

Abso-effen-lutely!

Played back to back as well! with Geddy introducing them like: " Here are two songs we've overlooked" then Alex goes into Cut to the Chase!

Edited by losingit2k
  • Like 2