New Dream Theater album "DREAM THEATER poll, what's the verdict?

treeduck

How good is the new Dream Theater album?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate the new DT album called "Dream Theater"?

• 10 out of 10! Clearly the greatest Dream Theater album of them all without question!
    • I give it 9 out of 10, an excellent album one of their very best and no mistake!
    • I'll say 8 out of 10, it's very good, just not quite up to old DT standards, enjoyable though and impressive.
    • I'll give it a 7, it's pretty good and has moments of excellence
    • 6 out of 10, it's not bad overall and I really like two or three of the songs.
    • 5 it's average prog metal by numbers, one or two songs are passable
    • It's a 4 out of 10 score for me, a very weak album and a far cry from the top DT albums. I liked one track though.
    • Absolutely poor, 3/10! A worthless album for me. I'll never listen to it again, it's a coaster.
    • I'll give it a 2 it's probably among the worst albums of DT's career, if not the worst
    • Terrible! A turgid shitfest! A bum-f***ing for the eardrums! 1/10
    • Abysmal, 0 out 10! It's hideous and pathetic! A rancid ear infection of an audio experience, the kind that makes you spew rotted bowel matter through your nose!
    • I give it poop on a stick out of 10. Poop for poop! Shit in your ears for 25 years!

I still haven't got my copy yet! :facepalm:

Amazon haven't even bothered to post it in fact. They're too busy filing their nails or something... :smash:

Why do you order CDs like this online anyways? I get it if it's something rare that you won't be able to find at a store. But something like the new Dream Theater would be available in most places that have a decent CD selection. Surely, there has to be stores within reasonable driving distance where you can pick up the album when it comes out.

Most shops over here don't even sell CDs these days never mind Dream Theater CDs!

Can you not iTune it or something more nefarious and illegal, while you wait for the stork to arrive. It's worth it.

I could do but I like to test my will power now and again. :sundog:

Such will power it is too, beyond us mere mortals...and thanks for the new eye candy, I'm glad you didn't remove Bucket :)

The outro solo to The Best of Times, FAAAAARK!!!!!! 4x now... :o :guitar: :NP: :AlienSmiley: :blaze:

I knew I´d heard this before, and finally figured it out today. Listen to the guitar part on Erotomania, at 0:38, 01:11 and once again at 06:14:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Nd8vTOUnO0

Now check out Enigma Machine at 01:19 and also at 05:04:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAPEOIE2Oq0

Amazon haven't even bothered to post it in fact. They're too busy filing their nails or something... :smash:

Why do you order CDs like this online anyways? I get it if it's something rare that you won't be able to find at a store. But something like the new Dream Theater would be available in most places that have a decent CD selection. Surely, there has to be stores within reasonable driving distance where you can pick up the album when it comes out.

Most shops over here don't even sell CDs these days never mind Dream Theater CDs!

Can you not iTune it or something more nefarious and illegal, while you wait for the stork to arrive. It's worth it.

Such will power it is too, beyond us mere mortals...and thanks for the new eye candy, I'm glad you didn't remove Bucket :)

The outro solo to The Best of Times, FAAAAARK!!!!!! 4x now... :o :guitar: :NP: :AlienSmiley: :blaze:

:hail: It's the same girl as before though...

The strings are a bit out of joint, but man is that section beautiful! Its moving and emotional. Honestly I think JP has a brilliant stand alone classical piece in that. He should write an expanded version of that piece and release it as its own entity, That's how I feel.

I'm assuming you meant to say JR?

No I'm not. John Petruci wrote the classical section of that song. Its a piece that was in his head for quite some time.

Really? I thought JP said in an interview that he asked Jordan, "Play the saddest melody you know" and that was the middle section and theme of Illumination Theory. Or am I thinking of a different song?

EDIT: Yeah, this:

Edited by Show Don't Tell

For now both The Looking Glass and Behind the Veil are equalling as my faves, followed closely by The Bigger Picture. Still blown away by these three. Screw it, I'm handing it out a 7.

I hope your copy arrives early next week Pat, you really need to hear this album :D-13: :hail: :blaze:

For now both The Looking Glass and Behind the Veil are equalling as my faves, followed closely by The Bigger Picture. Still blown away by these three. Screw it, I'm handing it out a 7.

I hope your copy arrives early next week Pat, you really need to hear this album :D-13: :hail: :blaze:

They've still not sent it yet, that and VT remixed! :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage:

Had it since Thursday , nothing really grabbing me yet though the drums are insane.

LOL!

Then the drumming must grab you!

They are so much better without Portnoy!

Winery Dogs is shite.

That's a good name for a Portnoy band, the Whiney Bitches! :16ton:

• Like 2

Had it since Thursday , nothing really grabbing me yet though the drums are insane.

LOL!

Winery Dogs is shite.

Disagree and disagree.

Mangini is amazing.

They made their best music with Portnoy come on man.

And The Winery Dogs CD is killer (just picked it up) and for the record....Portnoy's drums sound incredible. Not only just his superb playing.

Sonically it smokes Magnini's sound on the new DT album. I can't believe they went with the snare sound on this record.

Keeping it real...it is really a major sonic flaw on an otherwise fantastic record. Just downright criminal how dead his snare sounds. I liken it to the lousy 80's hairband snare sounds. It's really....puzzling.

Anyway my personal take on that.

Aye, she's always 'that girl'...still don't know who she is :LOL: Good luck on the album making it through this week sometime, fcuk Amazon for future orders then ay :huh:

LOL!

Winery Dogs is shite.

Disagree and disagree.

Mangini is amazing.

They made their best music with Portnoy come on man.

And The Winery Dogs CD is killer (just picked it up) and for the record....Portnoy's drums sound incredible. Not only just his superb playing.

Sonically it smokes Magnini's sound on the new DT album. I can't believe they went with the snare sound on this record.

Keeping it real...it is really a major sonic flaw on an otherwise fantastic record. Just downright criminal how dead his snare sounds. I liken it to the lousy 80's hairband snare sounds. It's really....puzzling.

Anyway my personal take on that.

But Earl is all about "lousy 80's hairband snare sounds" :P

• Like 1

Aye, she's always 'that girl'...still don't know who she is :LOL: Good luck on the album making it through this week sometime, fcuk Amazon for future orders then ay :huh:

Well the options are running out, soon there'll be amazon or nothing, it's almost that now!

I guess because i'm not a musician, i'm not able to pick up on this snare drum issue that some are talking about. To be honest, except for the bass drum, I couldn't pick out what the snare or any other drum sounds like in anything I listen to. I think Mangini has done a great job on this album and I like his playing a lot more than on the last album.

9/10 for me. I'm really enjoying this album. Maybe cause there's nothing else quite like it out there these days. The last album I enjoyed this much was Clockwork Angels and Flying Colors with Portnoy! :codger:
  • Like 1

9/10 for me. I'm really enjoying this album. Maybe cause there's nothing else quite like it out there these days. The last album I enjoyed this much was Clockwork Angels and Flying Colors with Portnoy! :codger:

I would add The Winery Dogs´ first album to your list, but I know it may not be everyone´s cup of tea.

I’m resting on this ranking so there :coffee:

1. The Looking Glass (perfection)

2. The Bigger Picture (perfection)

3. Illumination Theory (it’s all about the second half, a few listens and it really kicks in)

4. Behind the Veil (slipped a little, still very good though)

5. The Enemy Inside

6. Surrender to Reason

7. Along for the Ride

8. Enigma Machine

3. Illumination Theory (it’s all about the second half, a few listens and it really kicks in)

5. The Enemy Inside

6. Surrender to Reason

7. Along for the Ride

8. Enigma Machine

If I had to rank the album I think it would match what you did there, with one possible exception: Along for the Ride changing places with Surrender to Reason.

I´m really surprised by how James´ vocals grabbed me this time - I´ve mentioned here parts of The Bigger Picture and Illumination Theory, and now I´m currently hooked on this part from Along for the Ride:

"I will not live under a shadow of fear

Never be crippled by chaos and doubt

Fall prey to your madness

I am not shattered

Out of the ashes I rise

Knowing that nothing is stronger than faith

Finding hope in our hopeless lives"

• Like 1

9/10. Tremendous album, it has is all: amazing playing, great melodies, their best epic of all time in Illumination Theory, and some great songwriting. A complete album, which is a rarity these days. I rank it right behind Scenes as their best ever. Edited by greg2112
  • Like 1

Glad you feel that way about the album, Greg!

I listened to it in full yesterday once again, and just noticed one thing: there is MUCH less wankering and more melody in this album than most of their previous efforts. With most (if not all) songs here what grabs me most are the melodies, lyrics, arrangements etc., and not how impossible they are to be reproduced live, which I think was the focus on a lot of their albums.

• Like 1

5. The Enemy Inside

6. Surrender to Reason

7. Along for the Ride

8. Enigma Machine

I'd rank mine like this:

1. The Enemy Inside (Absolutely killer track)

2. Surrender to Reason (RUSH sound with the best chorus of the album)

3. Through the Looking Glass (I&W era stuff!)

4. Enigma Machine (My God.. Obviously written about Mangini's skills)

5. Illumination Theory (A bit uneven, but the good stuff is REALLY good)

6. Along for the Ride (Great track for a ballad)

7. Behind the Veil (Jordan's keys and the JP solo make this song)

8. The Bigger Picture (I actually prefer the 1st half of this song to the big ending)

9. False Awakening Suite (Shades of 6DOIT all over the place)

Now that I've listened to this album a good 12 times at least, I'd change my vote from a 7 to a 9. Yes, it's really that good. In fact, my main problem with it now is that it's too damn short!

The good:

Just unreal songs. If given the chance to hear The Enemy Inside over half of SC, BL&SL, or Octavarium I'd take it in a heartbeat.

The bass guitar is way up in the mix for the first time in what seems like forever or maybe the FII days. And it also seems like JM's not doubling up JP's lines as much as before which makes it more interesting to me. And he's rocking the Geddy Lee late 70's-early 80's sound too!!

The lyrics are EXCELLENT once again! No more wine gettin' better with age! Sorry JP, you can write some great lyrics but those were crap :D

Upon my 'settling in' time listening to this puppy, I'll retract my previous statement about all the guitar / synth wankery because it's not really fair. And it's not really accurate when you compare anything on this album to some of the extended million-note moments of SC or even the much-ballyhooed but just way, way too busy beginning of Lost not Forgotten. Petrucci & Jordan's solos and unison leads are sporadically and expertly placed.

James hits some of the highest notes he's done in many years. Now as much as I love JLB I really hope this translates well live where he's pretty hit or miss. I still give him credit for never failing in the studio recordings as he's always great.

Mike Mangini. Holy shit, just holy shit. You know it's weird but- if this makes sense- he plays so well you almost don't really notice him that much. Maybe what I mean is that his playing is both imaginative yet non-intrusive. Unlike some of MP's drum lines where he'd just throw in this ultra-mega fill that drowned out everybody else and sort of sounded like crap, MM's fills are tasteful and always seem to be perfectly placed. Don't get me wrong for 1 second about MP's skills though- he's absolutely amazing on drums and is a huge reason why DT is where it is today. It's just some of his choices don't sit well with me occasionally, especially on the latter albums he played on. I don't think there could have been any better of a replacement for the man than Mangini and I really can't wait to see what he does for the next DT album.

Edited by Del_Duio
  • Like 2

Glad you feel that way about the album, Greg!

I listened to it in full yesterday once again, and just noticed one thing: there is MUCH less wankering and more melody in this album than most of their previous efforts. With most (if not all) songs here what grabs me most are the melodies, lyrics, arrangements etc., and not how impossible they are to be reproduced live, which I think was the focus on a lot of their albums.

Agreed, this is the perfect mix of melody and "wankery," very Rush-like in that regard. Im as excited to hear these new songs live as I am to hear the classics.