New 30 second clips of Vapor Trail remix

losingit2k

Rush shouldn't be profiting on this remix. We originally paid for a cd that was spectacularly flawed. Why should we be subjected to pay for their mistakes, not once, but twice? Its a real disservice to fans, and incredibly presumptuous for them to expect us to pay for the renovation of their Grade A f*ck up.

Rush shouldn't be profiting on this remix. We originally paid for a cd that was spectacularly flawed. Why should we be subjected to pay for their mistakes, not once, but twice? Its a real disservice to fans, and incredibly presumptuous for them to expect us to pay for the renovation of their Grade A f*ck up.

Is somebody holding a gun to your head and forcing you to buy it?

Didn't think so.

You don't want to buy it again? Don't. Pretty simple.

• Like 1

Didn't think so.

I know I'm newer to the forum and it seems Gemini's opinions are always hated but I mean...I kind of see where he's coming from. On a moral standpoint. If you have some way to prove you own the original Vapor Trails copy, the most it we could deserve is half off or something.

I mean, we're major Rush fans, so a majority of us will buy almost anything they put out just because it's them. But I like Gemini's opinion on the matter.

• Like 2

Didn't think so.

I know I'm newer to the forum and it seems Gemini's opinions are always hated but I mean...I kind of see where he's coming from. On a moral standpoint. If you have some way to prove you own the original Vapor Trails copy, the most it we could deserve is half off or something.

I mean, we're major Rush fans, so a majority of us will buy almost anything they put out just because it's them. But I like Gemini's opinion on the matter.

I see Gemini's point too, but another way of looking at it is, Rush (and many other bands) put out remasters of their older albums all the time. Those of us who have the original versions can choose to stick with that version, or buy the remaster. In some of cases, the originals sound fine and perhaps didn't need a remaster, but bands will issue them anyway to try to get us to "buy it again." Like, my original copy of Counterparts sounds perfectly fine, and I saw no need to get the remaster. I'm not one who needs to collect every single version of every album, but some are into that, and those are the people Rush are marketing these repackaged/remastered albums to.

You have to figure Rush would have issued a remaster of VT at some point, and here we have it -- but it's not only remastered, but remixed as well. Yeah, it was remixed because they botched it up 13 years ago, but we're talking 13 years ago. Do we really deserve a discount on the remix based on us buying the original in 2002? How many of you still have the receipt from wherever you bought it 13 years ago? Think they'll give you a half-price Remixed CD if you submit a photo of yourself holding up the original one?

VT Remixed costs only $9.00 USD on Amazon right now. That's cheaper than a new copy of Clockwork Angels. $9.00 won't even put three gallons of gas in my car, but it'll get me a shiny new remixed version of one of my favorite Rush albums. In the grand scheme of things, nine bucks isn't a lot of money. Depends on how much you like Vapor Trails, and how much you like or don't like the sound of the original. You can choose to use that nine bucks on the remix, or on something else -- like a super-size meal at Burger King, or in some places, a pack of cigarettes.

• Like 3

Didn't think so.

I see Gemini's point too, but another way of looking at it is, Rush (and many other bands) put out remasters of their older albums all the time. Those of us who have the original versions can choose to stick with that version, or buy the remaster. In some of cases, the originals sound fine and perhaps didn't need a remaster, but bands will issue them anyway to try to get us to "buy it again." Like, my original copy of Counterparts sounds perfectly fine, and I saw no need to get the remaster. I'm not one who needs to collect every single version of every album, but some are into that, and those are the people Rush are marketing these repackaged/remastered albums to.

You have to figure Rush would have issued a remaster of VT at some point, and here we have it -- but it's not only remastered, but remixed as well. Yeah, it was remixed because they botched it up 13 years ago, but we're talking 13 years ago. Do we really deserve a discount on the remix based on us buying the original in 2002? How many of you still have the receipt from wherever you bought it 13 years ago? Think they'll give you a half-price Remixed CD if you submit a photo of yourself holding up the original one?

VT Remixed costs only $9.00 USD on Amazon right now. That's cheaper than a new copy of Clockwork Angels. $9.00 won't even put three gallons of gas in my car, but it'll get me a shiny new remixed version of one of my favorite Rush albums. In the grand scheme of things, nine bucks isn't a lot of money. Depends on how much you like Vapor Trails, and how much you like or don't like the sound of the original. You can choose to use that nine bucks on the remix, or on something else -- like a super-size meal at Burger King, or in some places, a pack of cigarettes.

What an outstanding rebuttal. There is no original VT remaster in addition to this. This is the remaster, with the bonus of a remix at no extra charge. I think this is what any questioner of Rush's integrity regarding VT Remix doesn't consider. And if anyone still has a problem, then they've got problems with every artist that has remastered or will remaster their catalog.

And of course if YOU or anyone else likes it, none of that will matter. But to say that loving Vapor Trails is a majority opinion just isn't the case.

Source?

The source was the rest of the post that you quoted me from.

It gets a 3.9 out of 5 from 832 amazon reviewers. Take out the troll scores and I'd say it easily hits 4.0. That would be a whole lotta love. ;)

• Like 2

And of course if YOU or anyone else likes it, none of that will matter. But to say that loving Vapor Trails is a majority opinion just isn't the case.

Source?

It gets a 3.9 out of 5 from 832 amazon reviewers. Take out the troll scores and I'd say it easily hits 4.0. That would be a whole lotta love. ;)

Amazon ratings are notoriously high across the board. That's still lower than the rating for Rush and Hold Your Fire and Roll the Bones and Counterparts and S&A and Presto. It's the same rating as Test For Echo - I didn't look through all their albums there as you have to do them individually, but a cursory glance shows it tied for the lowest rated studio Rush album - they're all skewed higher, but the results are the same.

Edited by rushgoober

Oh Good God, would people on both sides of this issue please come up with some new arguments? All the old ones have gotten so boring!

I'm also waiting for the return of a more accurate user title for Goober. I favour 'Vapour Trolls.'

Edited by GeddysMullet

Source?

Amazon ratings are notoriously high across the board. That's still lower than the rating for Rush and Hold Your Fire and Roll the Bones and Counterparts and S&A and Presto. It's the same rating as Test For Echo - I didn't look through all their albums there as you have to do them individually, but a cursory glance shows it tied for the lowest rated studio Rush album - they're all skewed higher, but the results are the same.

Oh, so it's forget about your silly amazon, it doesn't fit the plan? Is that it, Father Brown? :LOL:

Oh Good God, would people on both sides of this issue please come up with some new arguments? All the old ones have gotten so boring!

I'm also waiting for the return of a more accurate user title for Goober. I favour 'Vapour Trolls.'

Yeah, agreed. I think 1001 was trying to be nice to goober by changing it. The old title was good, but think 'Father Brown' would work since he can be such a mean music hater. :P

A dude in Germany claims he got it today and gave it a pretty rave review.

C'mon Amazon! Ship it already!! :D

Do you have a link to that? Love to see what this person says about the remix. If people in Germany are getting it, chances are it will be floating around the inter-webs pretty soon.

Source?

Yeah, but that's just one site. That's like saying the Nielsen Ratings are an accurate guide for knowing what everybody is watching on TV. It isn't, of course. And the numbers shown on that site there don't necessarily mean people don't LIKE Vapor Trails. It's funny how you pride yourself in being an against-the-grain music fan, yet you're relying on a public opinion website to justify your hatred for a Rush album.

We're talking about RUSH here. Rush is OUR band. When we say this or that Rush album is popular or unpopular, it's from within the Rush fan community. -- real Rush fans, not bandwagon people like Rolling Stone or people who only know the stuff from Moving Pictures because they hear it on the radio. I'd be wiling to bet that more REAL rush fans like VT than dislike it. I don't know how many would put it in their top 3, but I bet more like it than not.

We have a Favorite Rush Album poll* in the Feedback forum. Over a thousand TRFers -- real Rush fans -- have voted in it. Vapor Trails ranked higher than:

Rush

Fly By Night

Caress of Steel

Hold Your Fire (OMG, Goob!!!!!!!!!)

Presto

Roll the Bones

Counterparts

Test For Echo

Feedback

And those are just votes for your #1 favorite album. How many others like VT but don't rank it at the top of their list? I love VT, but it's not my favorite -- I voted for Permanent Waves.

Conform or be cast out, eh Goob? You'd rather cite ONE general outsider website to try and validate your VT vendetta than a dedicated Rush fan site? Since when do you care what outsiders think about what YOU like? I thought you were one of us! Nah, you're just a Vapor Troll.

*Edit to add, it's an old poll, and S&A and Clockwork Angels are not included.

Edited by 1-0-0-1-0-0-1
  • Like 3

The old expression is still true - you truly cannot polish a turd.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiJ9fy1qSFI

I stand corrected. Polished or not, however, the turd is still pretty disgusting and I wouldn't want it in my house (or in my CD player as the case may be). ;)

Who really cares what you like or dislike? You are in the minority on this one,Gomer!!!!!!!

Not actually. Consider where we are. We're on an online Rush fan website filled with rabid Rush fans. There aren't too many websites out there where you'll hear people raving about and vehemently defending Vapor Trails, although I bet you'd find a lot of places where people talk up Moving Pictures or Permanent Waves or 2112 or Hemispheres (that's because those are GREAT albums ;) ). If you really want anything approaching a more objective look, go here:

http://rateyourmusic.com/artist/rush

That's a general music site where people rate almost every album in existence. Among Rush albums (and consider each album has been given a numerical ranking by at least 1,000 people - often more than 2 or 3 thousand) it's at the very bottom, with only Test For Echo being rated microscopically lower. Even Feedback rates higher. Even their first three albums and Hold Your Fire (which are so often underrated) rank higher. It geniuinely is considered their worst album or at the very bottom of the heap.

You've mistaken a relative lower rank for dislike. If a rating of 3.8 signifies something approaching "love", 3.2 certainly doesn't come close to approaching "hate". Your own source proves that you are in the minority. Most people at least "like" that album.

Most of the compilations that are shown on that list have overall rating much lower than any Rush release.

Hi, I just got the new remix and it sounds amazing. :)

Way more dynamic sound, no clipping/distortion at all (!), way better sound of the acoustic sections. Especially the folkier songs like "Sweet Miracle" and "How it is" massively profit from the new mix.

There are some changes which are a matter of taste, though. They definately left out some layers, some people might feel like its missing something on some parts. The proportion between main and backing vocal layers also has been changed in some songs.

The album sounds very clear and neutral, now. It loses a bit of its "rough edge". I love it, but some people may still prefer the old mix.

Edited by Watchful_Eye

Hi, I just got the new remix and it sounds amazing. :)

Way more dynamic sound, no clipping/distortion at all (!), way better sound of the acoustic sections. Especially the folkier songs like "Sweet Miracle" and "How it is" massively profit from the new mix.

There are some changes which are a matter of taste, though. They definately left out some layers, some people might feel like its missing something on some parts. The proportion between main and backing vocal layers also has been changed in some songs.

The album sounds very clear and neutral, now. It loses a bit of its "rough edge". I love it, but some people may still prefer the old mix.

Thanks for posting, you lucky dog! Did you notice the guitar less prominent? I thought I did on a few songs from the samples. Danke!

Yeah for me the apparent change of levels evident between main and backing vocals was totally unnecessary especially on peaceable kingdom (whats all that about?) i just wanted some of the sonic harshness trimmed away not a completely different take on the album by someone else.

Might grow on me though still lookin forward.

Thanks for posting, you lucky dog! Did you notice the guitar less prominent? I thought I did on a few songs from the samples. Danke!

Gerne :)

Yep, but I think that is mainly because of the fewer layers and the clearer sound overall. The wall of guitar noise is gone and it sounds more "pure".

I made a screen for you which might wet your tongues :) Those are the old and the new Earthshine mixes in comparison:

http://www19.zippysh...94276/file.html

Edit:

Peaceable Kingdom: http://www37.zippyshare.com/v/9887720/file.html

Edited by Watchful_Eye