Signals anniversary thread

Blue J

Rounding out seems to be one if Rush's favorite months for album releases (though two from their catalog that are very high on my list, Hemispheres and Counterparts, both released in October), we have Signals- a really, really strong record that I think will forever be overshadowed by Moving Pictures. But just to listen to it on its own...great stuff. Takes me back to the time in my life when my brother had turned me on to Rush, just a few years before, and I was fully entrenched in Rushdom...

Here's a thought- after the Counterparts your, I didn't go to another Rush show until this summer...so for me, The Analog Kid never left the set list... :)

Aside from the obvious Subdivisions, I love Analog Kid, The Weapon, Digital Man, Losing it, Countdown...shoot, pretty much the whole album, except for Chemistry and New World Man, which are still decent.

Probably the dark-horse for being in the top 5 of Rush albums. Thematically brilliant, musically engaging and innovative (though suffering from production), a concept inasmuch as each song treats the themes of constraint and release, and the beginning of a major sound change in the band.

My second favorite album.

I love this album, but I also don't like it. It marked the beginning of a long downward slide, for me. After Subdividisions (really, after Moving Pictures) each subsequent album wasn't as good as the previous one until the the 1990s. But that doesn't mean that this isn't a great album with great songs. But it was a turning point for the band, and the turn wasn't my favorite turn the band ever made.
  • Like 4

For me it's a stellar album. It was the first one I bought on release date, so therefore it has always a special meaning to me.
  • Like 1

Rounding out seems to be one if Rush's favorite months for album releases , we have Signals-.

Takes me back to the time in my life when I was fully entrenched in Rushdom...

Aside from the obvious Subdivisions, I love Analog Kid, The Weapon, Digital Man, Losing it, Countdown...shoot, pretty much the whole album, except for Chemistry and New World Man, which are still decent.

I was wondering when this thread was gonna pop up. I agree with everything exceot that Chemistry isn't that strong. I know it's not a fan fave but I love it...NWM though, not so much. It's the one song I skip...always.

Signals was the first record to be released after I had been introduced to the band (from MTV no less), and I remember waiting, and waiting and waiting for the "new" Rush record.

NWM was the first single and I remember thinking.....Hmmmm...Not sure if I like it so I waited on picking up the album I had been waiting for, for soooo long but eventually did pick it up and by the end of the year had completely worn out two copies on cassette.

I love Signals and it's absolutely one of my "stuck on an island" records..

Happy birthday to one of my all time faves.

Edited by OGr8imL84AD8inF8sBlackSedan
  • Like 1

It still sometimes surprises me how much love Signals has gotten as it has aged, because it was not all that popular with Rush purists at the time.

Well, I think many hardcore fans of the band are hardcore because they still like the synth era. People who would have been Rush purists at the time but only got into Rush at a much later time would be considered more casual fans now—they like MP and earlier, and some songs from Signals and the band's post-80s work.

• Like 1

It still sometimes surprises me how much love Signals has gotten as it has aged, because it was not all that popular with Rush purists at the time.

Well, I think many hardcore fans of the band are hardcore because they still like the synth era. People who would have been Rush purists at the time but only got into Rush at a much later time would be considered more casual fans now—they like MP and earlier, and some songs from Signals and the band's post-80s work.

Oh, yes, I agree...I just remember how many people hated it at the time...the direction they saw the band going in (not only with synths, but the people that hated synths in general), plus originally IMO, it wasn't recorded all that well. It's just cool what time can do.

I love this album, but I also don't like it. It marked the beginning of a long downward slide, for me. After Subdividisions (really, after Moving Pictures) each subsequent album wasn't as good as the previous one until the the 1990s. But that doesn't mean that this isn't a great album with great songs. But it was a turning point for the band, and the turn wasn't my favorite turn the band ever made.

what I've been saying for years.

It is seven years older than me. Yikes! 30 seems way to close for comfort!

Brilliant album, bu a step down in quality from the previous run of albums. I think Grace Under Pressure improved upon this album exponentially, and then it all dipped again after that.

Still, this is a fantastic album, The Analog Kid New World Man, Losing It and Subdivisions are my favourite songs.

This album is bittersweet for me too. I love it now, but at the time it seemed so different, and not in a good way. I didn't like the synths. They were the opposite of what I thought the bands music should be. Basic, raw, guitar driven progressive rock.
  • Like 1

This album is bittersweet for me too. I love it now, but at the time it seemed so different, and not in a good way. I didn't like the synths. They were the opposite of what I thought the bands music should be. Basic, raw, guitar driven progressive rock.

Couldn't agree more. Being a fan since about 76', the direction they were headed was not a good one for me. That being said, I still liked it then and still like Signals to this day. I didn't give up until after Power Windows. I had lot's getting ready to happen (children) in my life at the time and didn't really like the music anyway.... Glad to be back on board after Clockwork Angels was released (the kids being long since grown doesn't hurt either)............. :codger:

I hate to be the turd in the punchbowl on this thread, but I've always found Signals to be mostly dreary and drenched in chorus and echo effects with Geddy's voice drifting over the fog. I don't DISLIKE it, but its never been one of my favorites.

Song by song it's pretty good, but I can't listen to it end to end without getting a little bored

I hate to be the turd in the punchbowl on this thread, but I've always found Signals to be mostly dreary and drenched in chorus and echo effects with Geddy's voice drifting over the fog. I don't DISLIKE it, but its never been one of my favorites.

Song by song it's pretty good, but I can't listen to it end to end without getting a little bored

I don't think you are a "turd in the punchbowl" on this one. I can see your point but I think it's still a good album. Maybe you are just being a bite size Baby Ruth.......... :codger: Edited by Narpet
  • Like 1

Subdivisions, The Analog Kid, Digital Man are superb top-flight Rush.

The Weapon and Losing It are near Rush masterpieces.

New World Man is wonderful Rush pop.

Chemistry is minor Rush.

Countdown, while having a nice groove, sounds like a (no pun intended) rushed demo.

Overall, a notch below the best Rush has to offer. Oh yeah, I love it!

Edited by ReRushed

Funny. Lately Ive been listening to Signals before going into the gym and it really gets me going, especially the "punchy" Digital Man. Not to sound cliche', but this album flat-out kicks @ss. If they could produce another powerful album like this one, the love affair would reignite. Edited by GeminiRising79
  • Like 1

Funny. Lately Ive been listening to Signals before going into the gym and it really gets me going, especially the "punchy" Digital Man. Not to sound cliche', but this album flat-out kicks @ss. If they could produce another powerful album like this one, the love affair would be in full bloom.

Makes me speed when I'm driving.

• Like 1